Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 06 that came with only one key and fob. I need to get another set. I know where to get the fob online but the key is different matter.....

1. I read a related thread for an 02 model. It seems like the going rate for an 02 key replacment from the stealership was in the $40 to $60 range. The cheapest I could find was $80. If you have gotten an additional key cut and programmed what did you pay?

2. Is the key/chip system different for an 02 verses an 06?

3. I know the key has a chip in it. Does the chip in key itself need to be programmed or is it that the vehicle needs to be programmed to accept the chip in the new key?

4. I know I can buy a blank key online for around $20. Where could I get it cut and programmed for less than $60?

Thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I ran into the same thin when I purchased my van.

Bought the key and programing from a local locksmith. He ended up being way cheaper than a dealer.

Think I paid around $85 3 years ago. Key prices have come down since then. I think I paid $45 for programing.

Don't do what I did though. I bought the key without the remote thinking I won't ever drive it so I don't need the key fob. Big mistake. Honda only put one lock cylinder in and it is on the drivers side. If you are ever on the passenger side and the door is locked, you will have to walk around to unlock the door.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts