Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Michelins on our EX should last a while, but I'm looking around for replacements.

We ran Firestone FT-70Cs on our MPV and loved them in wet weather. I think the sidewall was too high in the stock size to give us good handling.

I had Bridgestone RE-910's on my other car and absolutely loved them. They were the best tire I've ever owned. Wet weather traction was equal to the FT-70Cs.

Have any of you replaced your tires yet? If so, what do you have?

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just replaced the Firestone Affinitys on my 99 EX (only 5,000 miles). Never liked Firestones and was very disappointed to have them. As time went on and more recalls kept occurring, decided it was time to change. Both our Accords have had Michelin MXV-4 Plus for years so decided to stick with them.
Available sizes were either P225-60H-16 or P235-60H-16, choose the first which were closest to the OEMs P215-65-16. No appreciable difference in tire noise
, wish they all would reduce interior noise at high speeds, handling has improved as well ride comfort
Hope this helps,
=Hy=

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
My father-in-law works at a BF-Goodrich tire making plant. Him and every other tire guy I know (also have a tire dealer friend) has always said that Michelin is just generally a cut above everything else.

I'll probably go with Goodrich on my F-150, since I want to be a "good bubba" around here since we have the local Goodrich plant, but I intend to keep Michelin on the Ody. I didn't check before taking delivery, but I sure am glad they came on it!

------------------
'01 SS Honda Odyssey EX
'99 F150 XL Supercab
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ok, I need some serious input now. After the recent trip to LA, I noticed that the new Michelin MXV-4 Plus (P225-60HR-16) are creating a "droning" noise between 62-75 mph. It becomes worse on concrete roads as opposed to black asphalt. I don't want long mileage Symmetry tires or similar and I don't care for BF Goodrich, Goodyear, Firestone (Bridgestones worry me)Generals and Continentals. Yokahoma doesn't offer this size in an H rated tire. I've looked at the Pirelli P6000 Sports but have been told these may start to develop problems with squirm as the tread blocks have wider spaces between them. Who and what is left? I don't want to change wheels and tire diameters either. Any suggestions?

[This message has been edited by hip (edited 03-21-2001).]

·
Registered
276 Posts
nemogira - "EQUAL" is doing nothing more than adding weight in the form of "Dry Granular Polymer" into the tires (remember your physic class - centrifugal force). This a quote from their Q&A section:
Can I rebalance tires with lead weights after EQUAL has been installed?
No.
What do you do if you want to rebalance the tires? Well, remove the tires from the rims and remove all the "Sand", rebalance and reinject new "Sand" into the tire.

hip - I am not sure the "droning noise" is caused by the Michelin tires. I still have the Affinity tires on my stock wheels and they too are noise at higher speed, I also have the same Michelin tires you use on my Camry (215/55-16) and they are very quiet at any speed. But if you still want to try different brand, check out Dunlop D60A2 JLB, I heard they are very good. By the way, you should consider using 235/60-16 (if they fit) because it's closer to the original tire circumference.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have an '00 EX with Symmetrys and I'm pretty sure the road noise is due to the tires. They are very quiet on asphalt. Especially new asphalt. Very noisy on concrete and the sound frequency and level would vary with the pattern and surface of the road. We call them our singing tires. There probably isn't enough insulation in the wheel wells but I can't see how the van can cause these variations in noise over different road surfaces.

I agree that 235/60-16 is a better match for the stock size. Especially since my Odyssey's odometer and speedometer is almost 5% too fast. Checked it against the mile makers along I80 in Utah's salt flats. Averaged the results over 30 miles using the cruise control. Haven't seen that problem mentioned in this forum. Was mentioned in the edmunds Odyssey forum a while back. Also someone there said they installed 235/60-16's on their Odyssey, so I'd assume it would fit the rims. But can't find that post now since can't search on edmunds' forums.

Tirerack's site seems to have a pretty good customer feedback link which provide reviews on the different tires.

[This message has been edited by exindenver (edited 03-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by exindenver (edited 03-22-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have 235/60-16 Michelin Symmetrys on mine and have checked the speedo with a handheld GPS unit.
When reading 70 MPH, actual speed is 69.2
When reading 80 MPH, actual speed is 78.6

------------------
Chuck
Ody Pictures and Projects

·
Registered
148 Posts
All,
Thanks for your responses! I am going to try the Michelin Pilot XGT H4's. I will take your advice and try to get the P235's instead of the current P225's. Hgani, thanks for tip on the Dunlop D60A2 JLB, I may look at these if the Pilot's don't work out. Nemogira, I don't want to try to remedy the problem as the tires are only about 2 months old and I'd rather work with the tire store and try others first. BTW, as for the steering wheel decision, the reason I choose to stick with the stock wheel was more related to aesthetics. Since the coupe wheel is only available in black, I didn't feel I was gaining much. If I could get the color keyed leather wheel with the Ody hub, than I'd switch. Chuck, I'm going to take your advice and order the sound deadening material. I will try to tear the seats and carpet out and do the floor first. I may get to the doors and walls later. I also noticed after I undercoated the van that the spare tire well is very much like a kettle drum. On the inside it doesn't have much insulation so I will line it with acoustic material as well. Also, are any of you aware we have plastic fuel tanks?! Not sure if this is a contributor to some of the noise either?

[This message has been edited by hip (edited 03-22-2001).]

·
Registered
139 Posts
I put a set of Dunlap D60A2's on my S Class Mercedes because of the great reviews I read in Consumers Report and other car magazines. Hated them! Very harsh ride and noisy. They just did not work on that car! Guess it has something to do with suspension tuning around specific tire characteristics. Anyway, when a tread separated on the interstate,I was glad to have an excuse to replace them and wound up with Kelleys. Loved em! Very smooth ride and quieter than the OEM Michelins.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Plastic fuel tank? No wonder 1999-2000 Odyssey suffers from "sloshing" noise. You guys with 2001 Odyssey, do you also have the same problem?
2001 Odyssey supposedly uses different fuel tank than 1999-2000. Honda has quietly been changing parts it uses on Odyssey, such as different springs and fuel injectors from MY2000.

According to tire spec on www.tirerack.com, 235/60-16 Pilot XGT H4 takes 685 rev. per mile while Symmetry takes 766 rev. per mile, that means Pilot XGT H4 would give you a truer MPH.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
According to my favorite tire size calculator at http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html , the 235/60-16 Symmetry tire gives 744.14 rotations per mile. Whether that's right, I don't know, but when my son and I tested my Ody speedo with his handheld GPS, it resulted in less than a 2% error.

70 MPH was actually 69.2 and 80 MPH was actually 78.6 Thats pretty close.

I don't know where the error is, but those numbers don't jibe with the tirerack numbers.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Oops! Was that a solicitation for the Miata site that I just did? I've been a bad boy again trying to steal members from here to go to Miata. I don't seem to be able to control myself. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
148 Posts
According to tire spec on www.tirerack.com, 235/60-16 Pilot XGT H4 takes 685 rev. per mile while Symmetry takes 766 rev. per mile, that means Pilot XGT H4 would give you a truer MPH.

While that may be true,it also means the Pilots won't last as long and are more expensive to replace.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Actually no, Pilot XGT and MXV4+ both has UTQG rating of 400 while Symmetry is rated at 460. The difference between those 3 tires are the what they are designed for, Pilot XGT is High Performance, MXV4+ is G.T. All-season and Symmetry is All-season.
Pilot XGT is only $10 more than Symmetry while MXV4+ is $130

·
Registered
148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hgani:
Actually no, Pilot XGT and MXV4+ both has UTQG rating of 400 while Symmetry is rated at 460. The difference between those 3 tires are the what they are designed for, Pilot XGT is High Performance, MXV4+ is G.T. All-season and Symmetry is All-season.
Pilot XGT is only $10 more than Symmetry while MXV4+ is $130
</font>
Seems strange that the Pilots should be less expensive than the MXV4's. That's what confused me, I always thought the "better" the tire, the more it costs?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just a follow up on the tire change, installed the Michelin Pilot XGT H4's yesterday and took the van onto the highway for a test drive. Substantially quieter, but still no Lexus. Replaced the 225-60R-16 MXV's with 235-60R-16 Pilots. Can't seem to notice any handling benefit at this point, need to drive more to see. Interestingly, instead of the loud "droning" noise I got between 62-75mph, I now get a softer low frequency drone at 40 and slightly louder at 70mph. This is very discouraging, so I went back to Discount Tire and had the manager take a ride with me for a second opinion. Maybe I'm too focused on it but he didn't seem to think there was any real noise issue. In either event he suggested I live with them for a while and if I'm still not happy, bring 'em back. One good thing about Discount Tire, they fall all over themselves to please, no exchange of money for the new tires, even after 1200 miles! Not sure what's next if these prove unsatisfactory. Think I'll go the local dealer and take a new Ody for a spin with the Symmetrys and do a back to back comparison.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts