Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The little plastic piece at the base of the coil spring is cracked. From what I understand it isn't completely necessary to have it, but since the part was under $3 I figured I'd replace it. It seems to be the culprit that makes a hard knock when I back out of my driveway. From what I read and the one video I found, I don't need to compress the spring with a coil compressor. I just need to drop the lower B? arm and the spring is removable. Anyone able to confirm that for me? And where does a guy find the proper torque rate for the bolts he removes? And last of all, is removable loctite a bad idea?

2012 Odyssey with 45xxx miles.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I have recently had the springs out of the rear suspension of our '14, while adding AirLift bags. Simply raise the rear end via the rear center tie-down loop and support the van with stands under the side jacking pads. Then, put the jack under the suspension arm near the outer pivot bolt and lift it just enough to be sure the jack will be bearing the spring pressure when the bolt is removed. Loosen the bolt (the nut is held) and back it all the way out. If it is hard to turn, look at the hole in the arm to determine whether it is binding. If so, raise or lower the arm so the bolt is centered in the hole in the arm. Once the bolt is removed, you can lower the jack far enough to allow you to remove the plastic spring seat and insert the new one. Once the spring is properly aligned, you can raise the jack until the hole in the arm aligns with the hole in the suspension bushing. Then, simply screw the bolt in and torque it to 69 lb./ft. and let 'er down.

Once you have done this, you may feel up to installing some AirLifts, which are the best >$100 you could spend on one of these vans.

Good luck, Jerry O.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jerry! From what you describe I don't see how it would cost the $400-600 the dealer quoted me. Unless they were going to replace everything in that area. And at my expense because the seat was "damaged" and therefore not covered under warranty. Part cost me less than $3.

BigBoat...cheap plastic? I don't know, but after reading what Jerry posted it is no wonder people have trust issues with dealers. That doesn't sound like $400 worth of work, even for me. And I'm just a poorly educated domestic engineer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello all, i know this is an old thread,, but it talk about a problem i had, i live in Dominican Republic and have and 2011 odyssey and a mustang GT 94 that i use for road racing, i am not a professional mechanic but i work almost everything on my cars. I bouth the van about a year ago, and when i purchased it the right side rear coil spring insulator was already cracked, so i change it myself and it was cracked again about 2 months after the repair, followed by the left one getting chracked too, so i notice it was a design problem and the fact that the plastic is to simple for a such a heavy vehicule, so i end changing the lower rear coil insulator with an aftermarket coil spring insulator of a front coil spring of a 94 mustang. see link :

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ens-4-6102g/overview/

i used the ""Energy Suspension Coil Spring Isolators 4-6102G"" it has like a donut insulator for the top of the mustang front spring and a sleeve where you insert the end of the coil spring for the bottom, since the diameter of the odyssey rear coil spring has biger diameter of the front mustang spring y end up using two insultaor instead of one in the lower position of each odyssey rear coil spring. it work excelent and i am very happy with the result.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Mine are broken as well both sides. Does this effect anything? Are they necessary? I don't notice any suspension issues.
mine are both broken as well but i did buy replacement already just haven't got a chance to install it. Haven't noticed any issues though

·
Registered
226 Posts
Do you notice any difference in driving? What makes them break?
haven't driven much just around the block and some inclines. less noise on my rear suspension so far is what i had noticed. They are thin plastic and i doubt these things are built to last i mean they're not that hard to replace but i just hoped it could have been some better material they used.

·
Registered
202 Posts
From reading various threads regarding these spring seats it sounds like replacing OEM part can wear out in as low as 20k miles....
Has anyone had success using an aftermarket part?
Maybe one made of real rubber?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just replaced mine this afternoon with OEM parts.
rear left was completely shot.
Rear right had cracked but looked like it wasn't allowing metal to metal contact yet.

It was extremely simple, if I had to do it again it could be done in 5 minutes per wheel tops.
Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel Automotive tire Metal
Circle Games Metal
Games Auto part Horseshoes Tire Automotive wheel system

Reactions: Ticket

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Rear right had cracked but looked like it wasn't allowing metal to metal contact yet.

It was extremely simple, if I had to do it again it could be done in 5 minutes per wheel tops. View attachment 152700 View attachment 152701 View attachment 152702

It was extremely simple, if I had to do it again it could be done in 5 minutes per wheel tops.
any tips / instructions? Or just disconnect the shock?

·
Registered
202 Posts
any tips / instructions? Or just disconnect the shock?
TSB link
I think I just removed the lower bolt closest to the wheel.
I didn't remove the top bolt(maybe if you had gotten an alignment with worn parts)
I recall putting a jack stand under the van then used my floorjack to push the lower arm up to line up the bolt for reinstallation.

Reactions: Ticket

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
TSB link
I think I just removed the lower bolt closest to the wheel.
I didn't remove the top bolt(maybe if you had gotten an alignment with worn parts)
I recall putting a jack stand under the van then used my floorjack to push the lower arm up to line up the bolt for reinstallation.
excellent... thanks again.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
The TSB provides the part numbers which is awesome... nobody out there sells this part except the dealer.

of course its super cheap in the US and a ripoff up here in Kanada.
:mad:

·
Registered
2012 EX-L, >129k miles, VCM Tuner, Honda tow pkg.
876 Posts
The TSB provides the part numbers which is awesome... nobody out there sells this part except the dealer.

of course its super cheap in the US and a ripoff up here in Kanada.
:mad:
Have you checked eBay? I bought mine from a Honda store for <$10 each free shipping. About the same as the closest Honda dealer but I didn't have to drive anywhere.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Have you checked eBay? I bought mine from a Honda store for <$10 each free shipping. About the same as the closest Honda dealer but I didn't have to drive anywhere.
everyone I have checked so far, wants 30-40 dollars shipping for 20 dollars worth of parts.
and that's USD not CAD.
going to get a good look under the car today, as the rain is holding off.
will call the dealer Tuesday.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts