Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Replacing Brake Pad Questions

I'm going to be replacing the front and rear brake pads and rear rotors on my wife's 2005 Odyssey.

I've got a couple of questions

I bought Akebono pads that have a shim attached. In the Helms manual I bought, it shows 2 shims on one side of the pad. Since the pad already has one, do I just use one of the two that are already there?

The directions call for "M-77 assembly paste". Is it OK to use Syl Glide instead?

Can I use any good quality DOT3 brake fluid instead of the Honda fluid?

Thanks!

-os

·
Registered
747 Posts
The Syl Glide is fine (it is for brake systems - right) Stay with a specific brake grease as it will handle heat a bit better.

As far as the brake fluid goes - the manual says use only Honda brake fluid. I don't know if it has any magic component, but in my mind it isn't worth the risk. You can make your own decision.

Are you flushing the system? If not, you should not need brake fluid if you are just changing pads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DavidGSR said:
The Syl Glide is fine (it is for brake systems - right) Stay with a specific brake grease as it will handle heat a bit better.

As far as the brake fluid goes - the manual says use only Honda brake fluid. I don't know if it has any magic component, but in my mind it isn't worth the risk. You can make your own decision.

Are you flushing the system? If not, you should not need brake fluid if you are just changing pads.

I was planning to open the bleed when pushing the cylinders back into the calipers so I wouldn't be putting dirty fluid back into the abs system then topping it off

-os

1 - 4 of 4 Posts