Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife hit an oncoming car's rear-view mirror and shattered the glass. The mirror assembly is intact and the power mechanism works fine. A small scratch on the outside buffed right out. Now here's the problem:

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought this replacement glass and it seems its a matter of prying out the broken glass and attaching the new one with epoxy. I am concerned something will break as I pry the old glass out. This is a 2006 EX-L. The glass is NOT heated. Has anyone attempted this fix before ??

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have not replaced on on the Ody but had to replace one in another car, and with that one, the mirror assembly was removable. Move the power mirror upwards so the mirror is facing up. Get a flashlight and see if the mechanism behind it has any release latch or look at your new mirror and see how it's attached.

·
Registered
516 Posts
itr0754 said:
I bought this replacement glass and it seems its a matter of prying out the broken glass and attaching the new one with epoxy. I am concerned something will break as I pry the old glass out. This is a 2006 EX-L. The glass is NOT heated. Has anyone attempted this fix before ??
I'm pretty sure the glass IS heated..

hopefully this can help you

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Turn the van on and set the mirror heater on. Once hot, follow the instructions and pop the mirror off with a slim flat blade screw driver. ;)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot for the very useful info. I will give it a go tonight after work.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
May not apply to the 3rd Gen Odysseys but on the 2nd Gen Odysseys the mirror is held in the black plastic holder that pops off. It appears you have the mirror only and not the plastic holder as well. I am not sure the procedure to get the mirror part into the mirror holder.

If you are just replacing the mirror holder (the mirror glass and black plastic frame), then you just push in the bottom of the mirror holder so that the top of the holder is sticking out. Use a blade screwdriver covered in a rag under the holder to gently pry up the holder so as to release it from the 4 plastic hooks on the back. To install, reverse order. Make sure to lock the new mirror holder onto the hooks.

·
Registered
786 Posts
2006 EXLs all had heated exterior mirrors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts