Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,
So after several years of owning our second-hand Ody I'm finally getting around to replacing the burnt microbulbs in the stock radio/cassette player. The radio and separate CD player have always been dark rectangles during night driving, that is to say, I always thought there should be illumination behind the buttons but had become accustomed to using the two units by "feel". This post will mostly discuss the radio as similar steps apply to the CD unit. So lets get started.
First, get the climate control/radio/CD center assembly out of the dashboard. There's two screws located left and right that hold the whole thing. There's likely other DIY posts covering the removal not to mention the Chilton/Honda Ody/CRV manual; so I won't cover that in this post. (By the way, this sub-project is part of a larger one... replace the leaking heater core that sprung a leak. What a PITA. The link to my pics is here.)
Second, remove the black plastic bezel surrounding the climate control panel, radio, and CD player. Doing this will make getting to the radio/CD easier. On the back of the assembly, unplug the CD cable and the hex/phillips screws that hold the radio/CD in place; slide both out the front of the brackets.
Now that you have both units out we arrive at our starting point:

Alright. Lets get to work on the radio. As you look at the front face panel, there's a mounting screw on either side, remove those screws. Next, remove the power/volume knob...mine pulls straight out and off. The rim of the panel has a rubber "bumper", on the sides, top, and bottom you'll find little plastic catches that retain the panel to the radio body. Gently pry these one side at a time and ease the panel off. You'll then see this:

The yellow arrows point to the burned-out bulbs PL402 and PL403. We'll replace these shortly. Notice the orange arrows pointing to the two retention flanges. The circle with the strike-through at first view will have these flanges bent parallel. Get your needlenose pliers and gently twist the flanges parallel to the slot underneath. Next, carefully ease the circut board straight out and away from the radio body. Underneath the circuit board is a multi-pin connector that you want to protect. (EDIT 1/29/2020: I forgot to include here that a continuity test on both bulbs confirmed the open circuits.) Once you have the circuit board detached it should look like this:

OK. Get your soldering pen hot, flip the board over and de-solder the two blue bulb assemblies. It'll look like this afterward:

See that multi-pin connector underneath? Protect it from damage. I almost mashed mine flat :rolleyes:

Alright. Lets take a closer look at our bulb assemblies. Here, we have the blue (silicon?) cover, the bulb itself, and the base. Mine were somewhat fused to the bulb so be carefull removing it. Note that the blue cover fits over and around the bulb and then the whole thing slide INSIDE the flanges on the base. I found these pieces tiny and not easy to work with.

This bulb as I found out is a T-1, 14 Volt, 0.065 watt, wire terminal base - minature bulb, model #8111. Per my caliper, the glass diameter was about 3.05 mm/0.12 inch, with a glass length of 5.84 mm/0.23 inch. I went looking for suppliers nearby. The local Grangers was out of stock of this Lumipro example but they referred me to another manufacturer, CEC Industries. They said their version was the #8111 and I could buy them from their supplier here. (READER NOTE: when I bought them the #8111 displayed right along side the other T1s in the link. I don't know why they're absent at the time of this writing.) All-up cost was $10.49 for a box of ten so that wasn't bad.

Anyway, slide the blue covers onto the new bulbs, insert into the base mounts, solder and trim the wire tails, carefully install that circut board back onto the radio body, install the radio face-panel, fasten the two face-panel screws, install the power/volume knob and your radio is done.
One last note, I suspected that the CD player was in the same condition as I never saw any illumination out of it. Turns out, there are two microbulbs on it's circuit board too, the replacement process is very similar to the one I've described here.

I hope these pics help someone out there. Best wishes you'all.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts