Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The chrome garnish above the license plate on LX, EX, EX-L is easily replaced with the one standard on the touring model for $115.00 including shipping.
Part number: 74890-TK8-A21. To install you just have to remove the interior trim on the tailgate, remove three nuts and swap the garnish for the new one.
Not sure if anyone really cares. I was just disappointed with the chrome piece on the back. I expected to see the van as it was when it was unveiled not knowing that was a touring only look.

"74890-TK8-A21 - GARNISH ASSY., RR. LICENSE" - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

·
Registered
739 Posts
Oh goodness, I just finished reporting how I don't like the red/white on my Touring, not enough to rip it apart and do all this, but...

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Photo examples
Never really noted it, but I like the sense of continuity that it gives to the tails. Honda needed to go the LED route as the Sienna, a little bit more contemporary I'd say.

I was about to say that I also noted the addition of a "Touring" badge to the liftgate, LOL, but I just re-read "Photo examples" out of your post (also the parking sensors and the mirror blinkers give it away)

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
Ha ha. Ironically, the non-Touring owners of the prior gen got body color matched garnish and some purchased the Touring Chrome ones and replaced them the same way. Now, people get the chrome ones and they still want to replace 'em. Some things never change. :D

·
Registered
730 Posts
Oh goodness, I just finished reporting how I don't like the red/white on my Touring, not enough to rip it apart and do all this, but...

I'll trade.

·
Registered
632 Posts
DVPatel is right...my 09 EXL-RES is body colored plate garnish and I have replaced it with chrome garnish from the Touring. Hahaha. It always appear that people want the Touring bits and pieces on their EX and EXL.

·
Registered
730 Posts
DVPatel is right...my 09 EXL-RES is body colored plate garnish and I have replaced it with chrome garnish from the Touring. Hahaha. It always appear that people want the Touring bits and pieces on their EX and EXL.
I know in my case, a lot of times I like the look because it adds something to the appearance, but I don't want the rest of the package. For example, I like the look of the Civic Si but I don't want the high stung premium fuel motor. I just read a review of the new Dodge Charger SRT, according the that review you can order just about all the pieces sans the hemi and get the "look" of the performance model without the hemi cost.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Ha ha. Ironically, the non-Touring owners of the prior gen got body color matched garnish and some purchased the Touring Chrome ones and replaced them the same way. Now, people get the chrome ones and they still want to replace 'em. Some things never change. :D
It is the nature of all human beings, not just the Odyssey owners. I'm sure you have seen or owned a global car model where its appearance/exterior/interior parts from other countries are on high demand. A JDM Civic SI Mugen badge, euro spec tails, turning signals or grilles. The car is still the same, still OEM but different to the owner and without being riced-up :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Bigboat, you're definitely true my 03 civic sedan got the RS grille and tail lights that were available to Asian market vehicles only. I have to ship it from Manila bought from Honda dealer OEM parts department. It was expensive but well worth it. Uniqueness is the name of the game esp civic JDM parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That was a stock photo I found on google. I just used photoshop to add the chrome garnish to a touring photo. I didn't think to take photos when I put the red/white garnish on our smoky topaz odyssey.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I think the non Touring looks better.
+1

The lighting bar lowers the van appearance, which is not a good thing in the rear. Plus it's more plastic. On my 2006, even though the piece is plastic, it was the color of the sheet metal, so extended the sheet metal theme, IMHO sheet metal looks more valuable than plastic.

·
Registered
730 Posts
+1

The lighting bar lowers the van appearance, which is not a good thing in the rear. Plus it's more plastic. On my 2006, even though the piece is plastic, it was the color of the sheet metal, so extended the sheet metal theme, IMHO sheet metal looks more valuable than plastic.
If the chrome piece was body colored, I would give it the nod. I like the side-to-side flow that the Touring model has.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The chrome garnish above the license plate on LX, EX, EX-L is easily replaced with the one standard on the touring model for $115.00 including shipping.
Part number: 74890-TK8-A21. To install you just have to remove the interior trim on the tailgate, remove three nuts and swap the garnish for the new one.
Not sure if anyone really cares. I was just disappointed with the chrome piece on the back. I expected to see the van as it was when it was unveiled not knowing that was a touring only look.

"74890-TK8-A21 - GARNISH ASSY., RR. LICENSE" - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories
marviethree, question ... do you need to remove the entire interior talegate trim?? there is not other way??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I removed the interior plastic trim from the tailgate, compared the replacement garnish bolts with the bolt pattern on the tailgate, loosened the nuts that held the garnish in place, popped out the plastic tabs that help hold the garnish in place, pulled the garnish out, and replaced with the touring style garnish.

Not sure if that answered the question. The garnish trim on the outside is just one piece. The interior trim on the tailgate just pops off/on with plastic tabs. I believe it came apart in four pieces(upper, left side, right side, and lower portion). Interior trim has to be removed to access nuts.

·
Registered
196 Posts
thank you marvie, i will do this weekend
Ack...a bit late (if you've done this already), but can you post step-by-step with photos? Would much appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts