Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Replacing lower control arm and bushings today

7499 4
Today, I sent my 2006 Odyssey Touring to the mechanic for new bushings and control arms as he told me I cannot buy just the bushings. They looked cracked after close to 179,000km. Had uneven wear and also vibrations at higher speed (100km/h and above) and/or coasting downhill at higher speed.

Questions:
1. I saw problems in this forum and elsewhere with these bushings. How wide spread is this problem?
2. After replacing bushings, I now have a positive camber angle of about 2.5 degrees on both front wheels. Is that normal / acceptable? Should I have a sligt negative camber? Say under 1 degree?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6,098 Posts

· Registered
2,132 Posts
Yeah, check out that thread and using that for questions/feedback will also benefit others. There are also pics in there and your bushing does not look too ripped....

· Registered
2,515 Posts
I would actually not call this a problem per se. These bushings are the sacrificial lamb in car design speak.
Nothing lasts forever and these bushings do tend to get decent lifetime on Honda's.
As far as widespread, pretty much every Honda that utilizes this design experiences the same issue.
I have done them on Accords and Acura TL, in addition to Odyssey. On the other car's I was able to purchase just the bushings, but for Ody, Honda brand bushings are not available.
There are some aftermarket availability. I can't speak to their effectiveness as I never used them.

As far as alignment question, I assume that you got the Camber numbers after the shop aligned the car.
Typically I have seen them diagram provide the acceptable range and indicate color red or green for each of the numbers.
You best off calling the tire shop back to find out whats right for the car.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Label
Auto part Wheel

Thank you all.

Yes, I did ordered new lower control arm assemblies ... cost me C$230 each.

Yes, the camber numbers are after the alignment and they were supposedly within spec. which is coloured green.

First picture is the part number on the box that it came with. Second picture is a picture showing the extent of the cracks in the bushing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.