Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Ody, P0420 and EGR code, 180K miles, blah blah blah.

Doing the CAT and O2 sensors, I know about ordering direct from Denso to save money. As far as ordering the CAT, though, I'm not sure if Eastern Catalytic or Walker are worthwhile companies. If you were to order an OEM fit cat, but you can't afford the $500 for the actual OEM cat, which would you purchase?

Has anyone here used the Eastern Catalytic or Walkers with good luck?

EGR question: Do I just swap the EGR and gasket or do I have to clean anything when I do it? Also, how tight should it be? Regular tight or is there a torque rating that I should use?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I wouldn't go changing the cat yet, mine looked great inside when I had to fix the rusted flange bolts last fall. I would go for the EGR issue first and then go for a Seafoam cleaning. Some folks say running Seafoam through the engine has made the cat code go away. It's also possible that your O2 sensors are getting out of spec. The tolerance for the cat code is pretty small. There's also a thread about adding a spark plug anti foul extension to one of the O2 sensors. Do a search and you'll see many folks who have replaced the cat only to still have the code come up, especially with non OEM cats.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already ordered the O2 sensors and EGR valve. Do you think it would help to swap the sensors and wait on the CAT?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I think the CAT should be the last thing you should change. Try the new sensors and EGR valve. Also, I would clean the EGR port by removing the intake manifold.

Good luck.

pat

·
Registered
419 Posts
A dirty intake manifold and EGR valve port can give you those codes. Maybe you should clean it first before changing the sensors. How is your mileage? Is it worse?

Pat

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I would wait. The EGR issue can affect the cat output. Find the thread on cleaning the passages. Usually the actual valve is not the issue. Did you get OEM O2 sensors? That's an interesting link for sensors you have there. Personally, I think O2 sensors should be replaced every 100k like a maintenance item. That doesn't mean I've replaced them in my van yet though... :p

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the CAT should be the last thing you should change. Try the new sensors and EGR valve. Also, I would clean the EGR port by removing the intake manifold.

Good luck.

pat
Removing the intake manifold? What would I need to purchase to do so regarding gaskets, etc?

A dirty intake manifold and EGR valve port can give you those codes. Maybe you should clean it first before changing the sensors. How is your mileage? Is it worse?

Pat

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just did the egr clean and seafoam. Waiting my 10-20 mins then let the magic smoke out. I'll update after I pull the clock and see what it does.

·
Registered
539 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Removing the intake manifold? What would I need to purchase to do so regarding gaskets, etc?
Gasket is metal and re-usable.

So, how are things now.. Is the code back?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would like to suggest that you change your pcv valve. I had p420 about a year ago and changed it to an aftermarket cat and changed the downstream o2 sensor. Then about 3000 miles later it came back. So I got egr port cleaned ( which was not clogged at all ) and it still came back. Then I changed out the upstream o2 sensor and it still came back. I read that some people got rid of with premium gas so I tried that and I decided to check on the pcv valve just for the hell of it since it does play a little factor into emissions. The pcv valve was 90% clogged, I could hardly hear it click when I shoke it. I changed it and the p420 never came back. It's been about 350 miles now with the premium gas and about 400 miles with the regular gas. I think it was the pcv valve.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 99 odyssey , that i just change the o2 sensor before the cat, new EGR, clean the egr port, but I still get the p0401 and p0420 codes, and I also put a new PVC valve, what else do you thing that I should do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts