Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to replace my 8" rearview with a 10". I found one that looks like a good product, but can't figure out how to mount it. The instructions say that if the original mount is still on the windshield, just slide this one on and tighten the set screw. I can't see how the original Odyssey mirror can have that done. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Take a look at the Donnelly replacement mirror (Tech section). They tell you how to remove the Odyssey mirror, which if memory serves me, you twist the whole mirror 90 degrees and remove.

------------------
'02 SS EX-L RES on
order, build date (10/16 - 10/20)
'98 Explorer XLT
'94 Prism Lsi

·
Registered
5 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MerpsMom:
I would like to replace my 8" rearview with a 10</font>
We have 10" clip-on mirrors on our other 2 cars. I'm trying to find the same ones for our 1 week old '02 GG Ody but no luck so far. I think the regular clip-on ones are great but last week all I found were gold ones or 20-36" wide ones. It doesn't seem worth removing a decent mirror when you can just clip on a 10" wide one on top. The clip-on ones have never fallen off.

FourAllans
California

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I would like to replace my 8" rearview with a 10". I found one that looks like a good product, but can't figure out how to mount it. The instructions say that if the original mount is still on the windshield, just slide this one on and tighten the set screw. I can't see how the original Odyssey mirror can have that done. Am I wrong?</font>
No, you're right. I went through the same thing.

I tried to do what you're doing before I finally opted for the Donelley, but ran into the same problems.

All aftermarket mirrors I could find had a different, non-adaptable mount that wouldn't fit the Honda mount. I was never able to find any way to adapt the mounts so they'd get along. The only other way to accomplish the whole mirror swap would be to replace the mounting bracket on the windshield and I didn't want to go that far. Clip-ons or a replacement like the Donelley were all I could find.

It's really irksome to have a vehicle as long as the Ody equipped with a mirror that's too narrow to provide an adequate rearward view, but that's Honda for you.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 10-22-2001).]

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a 12" clip-on mirror from Wal-Mart and it fits neatly on top of the regular Ody mirror. The only downside is that the clip-on is curved left to right to give a more panoramic view. The result is that the actual view out of the rear window is a little smaller than the Ody mirror.

FourAllans

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a 12" clip-on mirror from Wal-Mart and it fits neatly on top of the regular Ody mirror. The only downside is that the clip-on is curved left to right to give a more panoramic view.
The result is that the actual view out of the rear window is a little smaller than the Ody mirror. This is compensated for by the wider field of view.

FourAllans

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also found a clip-on panoramic at O'Reilly Auto Parts, but these older eyes are distracted by the distortion caused by the curving of the lens. So...no go.

I tried to figure out how to remove the Ody mirror by visiting the Donnelly mirror subject suggested above, but still can't find instructions on how-to. (There is no "Left" when trying to see installation instructions for the Donnelly.)

I'll look again, but so far, no good. Maybe a dealer can help me? Without wanting my first-born?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I plan to install a "Wink" five-panel rear view mirror. It gives you almost 180 degree rear vision. Once you experience this, it is hard to go back to the tunnel vision view of the stock mirror. I got mine from J.C. Whitney a long time ago, and I think they still carry them.

I will get longer screws for the sun shade mounts and then fabricate a bracket out of flat aluminum stock to fit over or under the sun shade mounts.

Anyone familiar with the Wink?

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sinbad:
Anyone familiar with the Wink?</font>
Is this <a href="http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml;$sessionid$YBTDCUQAAAPOLWBBLJTSFFGYEFNGMIV0?CATID=157301&BQ=jcw2">the Wink</a>?

How does it work OK when the car behind has bright lights? Can the Wink be adjusted to aim the reflected light away from the driver?

Regards,

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L
'85 Prelude that we'll keep!
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:

It's really irksome to have a vehicle as long as the Ody equipped with a mirror that's too narrow to provide an adequate rearward view, but that's Honda for you.

</font>
After reading this thread yesterday, on the way home last night I looked at my mirror and the rear view seen with it. In the stock Honda mirror I can completely see the entire view out the rear window, plus some of the corner posts and a bit of the side windows. I can't see what a wider mirror would accomplish.

Does anyone really need to see the side windows through the center rear-view mirror? If you need to see something on the side of the van, wouldn't the outside mirrors provide a better view?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve Pert:
After reading this thread yesterday, on the way home last night I looked at my mirror and the rear view seen with it. In the stock Honda mirror I can completely see the entire view out the rear window, plus some of the corner posts and a bit of the side windows. I can't see what a wider mirror would accomplish.

Does anyone really need to see the side windows through the center rear-view mirror? If you need to see something on the side of the van, wouldn't the outside mirrors provide a better view?
</font>
You're probably right. Obviously if you can see the rear window frames, you're already seeing all you can see, but I prefer a wider view to provide a bit of context and also being able to see cars that are moving into the rear view, but aren't visible yet through the rear window.

Plus, the wider the view for the rearview mirror, the further out I can adjust my side mirrors to meet my peripheral vision.

Also, how far back you sit has an effect on what you can see in the rear view mirror and I like to sit back a little when I'm driving, so any additional width of the mirror is welcome.

For me, when it comes to visibility, more is always better. I'd much rather have too much than "not quite enough".

BTW, to Merpsmom: Just grab the base of the Honda mirror and twist 90 degrees, left or right. the mirror will fall off in your hand.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 10-24-2001).]

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Maugham, yes that is it! I have a 4 panel,I guess. Anyway, if bright lights behind you, then you hunch down a little or else reach up and rotate the mirror a little to direct the reflection out of your eyes -- real easy to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts