Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents
I'm going to have the timing belt replaced on my 2007 Ody, with 195000 miles. Suggestions for anything additional to replace while they are at it? I've already started my own list; tensioner, water pump, serpentine belt for the alternator etc., Anti-freeze. Anything else you would suggest? I'll have the dealer do it, I'm too old to do this myself, man got to know his limitations you know. Thanks

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I would suggest a good independent repair shop. Dealer would be more expensive. I would want to make sure that they use the Asin kit that can be ordered from Rock Auto, instead of a lesser quality NAPA/AutoZone/Amazon/FleaBay.
Plenty of threads here for timing belt and related preventive maintenance, and with horror stories of lesser quality parts.

Reactions: Nighthawk1442

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Aisin kit is the one to get. Less than $200 on Rock Auto. I would not have this done at the dealer.

Make sure they replace ALL the timing compoents: idler, tensioner, belt, etc.... also the water pump. New coolant and a new thermostat also.

I would also have the spark plugs repalced and the serpintine belt.

If the serpintine belt tensioner is original I would have that replaced too.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
570 Posts
I agree with what has been said.

At 195000 it may be worth considering crank/camshaft seals.

·
Registered
144 Posts
We just got our 2005 Odyssey timing belt package (timing belt, timing belt tensioner, water pump, coolant change and serpentine belt), minus the the serpentine belt replaced a week ago by a local dealership for $1075 plus tax. Our serpentine belt was replaced within the past two years and opting out of that reduced the service price by $100 (dealership part cost).

We were very surprised by the huge price disparity between the local dealerships. The first dealership's price was at $1175 plus tax. This dealer also has a special ($250 discount) for just the timing belt for $499 (copied) that expires a week before we called in, but will honor it any ways. This dealership is reputable and have good Google rating. They did cite current condition of slow business due to COVID and upcoming winter season to be flexible with their discount. I think the advisor just took $450 off the timing belt package price. The second dealer wanted $1800.

Our overall experience was pleasant with prompt follow ups before, during and after the service with no pushy salesman ship. Door to door pickup and drop-off service for our Odyssey. They did a multi-point inspection, cite a few things, briefed us on them, priced it all out and included in our final receipt.

We did have the list of additional parts including the timing belt components that we wanted to replace further, but this is where the dealership makes their money; The dealership cost for the parts was pretty high. Labor is essential free once they are in there so we opt to not replace additional parts since the Odyssey was fairly old anyways.

Good luck,

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
While I don't disagree with the idea of seeking out a good independent that's not always the right decision for everyone, so I'll stick to the OP's question. If this is done at the dealer, or a quality independent, they'll let you know if they encounter any leaking seals, etc. If this were my van I would go ahead and have the spark plugs done while the van is in then you should be done for another 100K save for repairs that come up. Unrelated, but worth noting is making sure you are up to date on all of your fluid services as well. Transmission, power steering, and brake. +1 for making sure quality parts are used. Stick to the Aisin kit or OEM on the timing belt/water pump parts.

Reactions: thscott

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Also check the TB thread that will have all the parts list...

·
Registered
580 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I am going to do this next weekend. Will be buying parts this week end.

Will be using this TB kit -> More Information for AISIN TKH002 .
Also 1 gallon of this-> Genuine Honda Acura Long Life Antifreeze-Coolant OL9999011 ( Blue Color ) | eBay .

Not planning to change the thermostat for now. Temperature reading is in the middle and seems it is working fine.

2010 EX with 101K now. Relatively new NGK plugs, serpentine belt and tensioner. So skipping them also.
Unless you can verify the seller of the "Genuine Honda Coolant" is actually a legit dealer I would not trust buying it on Ebay or Amazon. Just too many reports of counterfeit oem parts on those platforms. Better off getting from your local dealer or even using an aftermarket that is blue compatible like Valvoline Zerex.

Also, takes more than a gallon if I'm not mistaken. Most would have 2 gallons on hand.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
156 Posts
We just got our 2005 Odyssey timing belt package (timing belt, timing belt tensioner, water pump, coolant change and serpentine belt), minus the the serpentine belt replaced a week ago by a local dealership for $1075 plus tax. Our serpentine belt was replaced within the past two years and opting out of that reduced the service price by $100 (dealership part cost).

We were very surprised by the huge price disparity between the local dealerships. The first dealership's price was at $1175 plus tax. This dealer also has a special ($250 discount) for just the timing belt for $499 (copied) that expires a week before we called in, but will honor it any ways. This dealership is reputable and have good Google rating. They did cite current condition of slow business due to COVID and upcoming winter season to be flexible with their discount. I think the advisor just took $450 off the timing belt package price. The second dealer wanted $1800.

Our overall experience was pleasant with prompt follow ups before, during and after the service with no pushy salesman ship. Door to door pickup and drop-off service for our Odyssey. They did a multi-point inspection, cite a few things, briefed us on them, priced it all out and included in our final receipt.

We did have the list of additional parts including the timing belt components that we wanted to replace further, but this is where the dealership makes their money; The dealership cost for the parts was pretty high. Labor is essential free once they are in there so we opt to not replace additional parts since the Odyssey was fairly old anyways.

Good luck,
View attachment 157941
That's very aggressive pricing. I have been day dreaming that my local dealerships will do anything remotely like that..

Unless you can verify the seller of the "Genuine Honda Coolant" is actually a legit dealer I would not trust buying it on Ebay or Amazon. Just too many reports of counterfeit oem parts on those platforms. Better off getting from your local dealer or even using an aftermarket that is blue compatible like Valvoline Zerex.

Also, takes more than a gallon if I'm not mistaken. Most would have 2 gallons on hand.
+2. Never buy Honda parts from eBay and Amazon unless you know for sure the seller is a real dealer. Yes, 2 Gal is needed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would suggest changing the thermostat on a 13 yr old van while you are replacing the water pump, it could save you some grief later.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
I am going to do this next weekend. Will be buying parts this week end.

Will be using this TB kit -> More Information for AISIN TKH002 .
Also 1 gallon of this-> Genuine Honda Acura Long Life Antifreeze-Coolant OL9999011 ( Blue Color ) | eBay .

Not planning to change the thermostat for now. Temperature reading is in the middle and seems it is working fine.

2010 EX with 101K now. Relatively new NGK plugs, serpentine belt and tensioner. So skipping them also.
I would suggest changing the thermostat on a 13 yr old van while you are replacing the water pump, it could save you some grief later.
Just change the thermostat while most of the coolant is drained. They don't fail randomly but do start to stick/wear out. At around 100k miles, you should swap it out.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
156 Posts
Just change the thermostat while most of the coolant is drained. They don't fail randomly but do start to stick/wear out. At around 100k miles, you should swap it out.
Do you have a video on how to get the engine out from the top? Saw one did it on a Pilot, what a pain in the a55. I imagine it's harder on an odyssey as the engine bay is smaller.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Do you have a video on how to get the engine out from the top? Saw one did it on a Pilot, what a pain in the a55. I imagine it's harder on an odyssey as the engine bay is smaller.
Very easy once the radiator support is out, you'll be surprised. I had a shop weld it back on after I was done. Thinking of filming it on another van...

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
If you buy an Aisin thermostat I believe you need to buy the gasket separately. If you get a Honda thermostat (recommended) it comes with the gasket.

·
Registered
580 Posts
It looks like it. More Information for AISIN THP509

Did any one had to replace the idler pulley bolt ? 14551-RCA-A01 and tensioner pulley bolt 14513-RCA-A01 (manual says to replace them). The RockAuto kit does not comes with it and they don't sell it also.

So the list is,
1) Rock auto -> AISIN TKH002 kit, AISIN Thermostat and its gasket
2) 2 Gallon Honda coolant
3) Idler pulley bolt and TB Tensioner pulley bolt.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts