Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to get an EX-L w/ RES.

Unfortunately, the Honda website only shows and talks about the wide screen one on the Touring/TE. Same with the review cars they gave to magazines and websites. They're all Touring or TE.

So, I was hoping someone with an EX-L w/ RES would be kind enough to do a writeup or review of the rear entertainment system.

To help start off, here are some of my questions:

What's the size difference btw the EX-L one and the widescreen one? Dimensions maybe?

Do all seats have a good view of it? In my case, I'm just trying to figure out if I gotta stick my two kids (age 4 and 2 and still in carseats for some time to come) either only in the 2nd row or 3rd row or could I split them up and still have them be able to see?

How do you control it? Are there buttons on/next to the screen? I vaguely recall a dealer saying it's a removable remote? If my wife sat in the back, could she control it? Can I control it from the front (driver's seat)? I assume the sound comes out of the speakers (prolly would never use the headphones). Will it do a split so that the dvd only plays in the rear speakers while the radio or something comes out the front for the driver? Or would I have to listen to the dvd (not a big deal, I'm used to it).

If the RES is playing something, can you stream something (like from an attached iPhone/iPod) to the front speakers. Basically, is there any option for the front seats to listen to something other than the RES?

Can you hook anything up to the RES? Like a PS3/Xbox or maybe even an iPad? Particularly interested in the iPad hookup b/c DD likes to ruin DVDs so we're trying to convert/buy digital copies of all our movies and just store it on an iPad or something.

·
Registered
884 Posts
You should check to see if you can access the owners manual on the Honda web site. I have a new 2011 EXL with res. I have only tried the entertainment system once so I can answer some but not all of your questions. I haven't tried viewing from the third row. Vehicle comes with two wireless headsets. The 9 inch res can be controlled from the front, from the unit itself, or with a detachable remote. You can have a different audio source on the front speakers. Kids can be watching a movie using the headsets and you can be listening to XM or whatever o n the front speakers. Actually the kids could even be listening to one XM channel on the headsets while you are listening to another xm channel or some other audio source up front.

I did look at a Touring model with the 16 inch screen but as I have never used one I'll leave it to someone else to comment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 12 ex-l/res and can answer a little bit more of your questions. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old and they can sit in any of the 3 2nd row seats and see the tv just fine, I have sat in the 3rd row and can view the tv just fine from the back as well. You can control the res from the front and from the back (theres even a lock out button so the back remote can't be used) the only complaint i have is with the speaker set up when the res is on the only speakers that actually play are sound from the dvd are the front ones. Honda must assume that the back passangers always use the headphones with my kids being so small they arent ready for the headphones (they are nice ones too they flip closed when not in use to help save the battery and are easy to store in the back of the 2nd row seats)so i get to listen to their movies on high all day. There is also 2 headphone jacks in the 3rd row for other passangers if needed. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
You can download the manual here:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/147736-where-do-i-get-my-vans-owners-manual.html

I have a 12 ex-l/res and can answer a little bit more of your questions. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old and they can sit in any of the 3 2nd row seats and see the tv just fine, I have sat in the 3rd row and can view the tv just fine from the back as well. You can control the res from the front and from the back (theres even a lock out button so the back remote can't be used) the only complaint i have is with the speaker set up when the res is on the only speakers that actually play are sound from the dvd are the front ones. Honda must assume that the back passangers always use the headphones with my kids being so small they arent ready for the headphones (they are nice ones too they flip closed when not in use to help save the battery and are easy to store in the back of the 2nd row seats)so i get to listen to their movies on high all day. There is also 2 headphone jacks in the 3rd row for other passangers if needed. I hope this helps.
Check on the manual. The Dvd audio does not just play on the front speakers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts