Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Friends

Our 2012 Odyssey doesn't even have 800 miles on it yet, but if my experience with new cars applies to our new van, we'll be replacing the factory brake pads by 15,000 miles.

Which brake pads are now considered to be the best? Priorities are:

1. stopping power
  2. low brake dust
  3. durability
  4. cost

I appreciate any suggestions you may be able to offer.

--Jaddie

·
Registered
159 Posts
We use Axxis pads on one of our race cars, and they have great stopping power, and low brake dust, and last a long time. Cost isn't terrible either. Not sure if they make a pad for 2011 Odysseys -but I want to know too!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dear hwlcd

So these are good?

I remember way back in the '80s we had a car in the family that needed brakes every four months. It was in terrible stop-and-go traffic morning and night for five days a week. Then we switched to Bendix brand, paid about twice as much, but the pads lasted about nine months. It was cost-effective because of the time and money involved in getting replacement pads installed.

I really love our new Odyssey and I want to make sure to use the best available replacement parts when the time comes.

--Jaddie

·
Registered
159 Posts
Dear hwlcd

So these are good?

I remember way back in the '80s we had a car in the family that needed brakes every four months. It was in terrible stop-and-go traffic morning and night for five days a week. Then we switched to Bendix brand, paid about twice as much, but the pads lasted about nine months. It was cost-effective because of the time and money involved in getting replacement pads installed.

I really love our new Odyssey and I want to make sure to use the best available replacement parts when the time comes.

--Jaddie

Based on that link, it seems that the Front brakes are common for 2005-2011, and the Rears are unique to 2011. With most of my cars up until now, I go through 2-3 sets of fronts for every set of rears. Is this typical for Odysseys?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Akebono ProACT Ceramic Reviews on Tirerack

I've heard good stuff about the Akebono, EBC, and Hawks. I do read a lot of odyssey owners love oem brake pads though.

I am currently using Hawks Ceramics on my Civic and so far so good but it's only been about 5k miles. My OEM only lasted me 20K, they were worn unevenly. One side was 6mm left while the other side was only 2mm. My guess was it got hung up on something but idk... I don't brake hard or often. I sit in traffic most of the time and I drive spiritedly as I'm almost always alone.

A little reading on ceramic brake pads.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Even on good product you might get defects so generally they're good but will they be a good experience for you, would be up to you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dear hwlcd

Thank you very much!

--Jaddie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts