Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started intsalling the VCR in our RES van. I got the power wires run under the carpet and hooked in just fine. Before I ran the Audio and Video input wires under the carpet, I decided I'd plug them in and watch it first, but they appear totally dead. Here is what I have tried:
Ran the audio and video wires from VCR to inputs-no sound or video
The VCR SOUNDED like it was playing, but you never know, so I grabbed the videocam, popped a tape in and played it-still no sound or video.
I then hooked up a set of wired headphones into the jacks-no sound out of them from any source radio, video, CD-nothing. So it appears the whole auxilliary input console is dead.
Im guessing that the connection on the back side of the inputs may be unplugged-short of that Im lost.

Was wondering if someone with an '02 could check their wired headphones to see if they work or even better -hook a video cam up and play a tape in the system on Aux and see if you have sound and video.

Like I said, I had the headunit on AUX, but nothing. Ive been over the owners manual several times-but not luck. Given Honda quality, I find it hard to believe that something is wrong with the van and not me

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
OK, I'm back from the test facility.

I know the wired headphones work fine on mine; the boy uses them to watch the Book of Pooh video. So, I hooked up the camcorder and turned everything on. Started out with the radio playing and rear system turned off.

Immediately as I turned on DVD, Pooh came on and the rear speakers cut out and I got Pooh in the wired headphones. As Pooh played, I plugged in the camcorder and got it playing a tape. I hit the DVD/AUX button and RES switched to AUX input and started showing my tape, sound and all (through wired headphones; I presume also through wireless). Hit the DVD/AUX button again, and Pooh came back on. RES had switched back to DVD.

Everything works fine, exactly as it should.

Have you ever had a DVD playing? Does the one that comes with the car play in the RES? Can you hear through wireless headphones? Can you hear the Honda-supplied DVD through the wired headphones?

Start with the Honda-supplied DVD, and test wired headphones. If that doesn't work, simply go back to the dealer and explain it. Whatever you do, don't go into any detail about all the other stuff you did. That'll just confuse them and give them the opportunity to point a finger at non-Honda stuff. Keep it simple: "I put in the Honda DVD and plugged in these four dollar headphones, and got no sound. Wireless headphones work fine, so do car speakers." Leave it at that. They'll probably find what you said: the console back there got unplugged somehow.

Remember, no one at a Honda dealership really knows how RES works. Yours will be their first one to troubleshoot, and they'll need it for a couple of days as they teleconference with the engineers at Honda who have only half a clue, but that's more than what the dealership guys have. This stuff is just too new. It'll take a couple years before the service organization is really comfortable with it.

If the Honda DVD plays (a) through the car speakers and (b) through the wireless headphones and (c) through wired headphones, I don't know.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Adam-Thanks bigtime for checking that out for me. I just wanted to make sure I wanst missing something on the complex head unit.
Yes, Ive played both the Honda and my own DVD's and the wireless headphones worked fine.

When I went back out to try what you did step by step again I noticed something now that its dark-there are no back lights on the auxilliary panel volume control know and I know there were lights one night when I was sitting back there.(BIG AH_HAH!!
Based on that, the fact that the VCR and the videocam wont work, I'm sure there is something probably disconnected there. Cant the VCR since its 12V and wont work inside.

We had to have the rear panels, seats and carpet pulled last week to replace the jute padding under the carpet and I bet and am hoping the harness(es) just didnt get plugged in properly.

Pulling the trim is real easy now that my Helm manual arrived , so I might take a peek tomorrow and see if there is anything obvious since that is the only part lacking in having the system done. If I dont see anything obvious, I'll take it in to the dealer.

Yeah I agree Im sure they will be at a loss at the dealer since this is an unknown component at this point. Im positive it's not my doing-all I did was use 2 add a circuit fuses to add the 2 power lines and ground a wire under a screw-no mess-no cutting and never got anywhere near the back. But I hear you on telling them the bare minimum-always someone elses fault and never their own.

Thanks again for checking that out for me. Another odyclub rescue

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">We had to have the rear panels, seats and carpet pulled last week to replace the jute padding under the carpet and I bet and am hoping the harness(es) just didnt get plugged in properly.

Pulling the trim is real easy now that my Helm manual arrived , so I might take a peek tomorrow and see if there is anything obvious since that is the only part lacking in having the system done.
</font>
Good news. Of *course* they simply left stuff unplugged when they worked on the water problem. Shoot, that's easy.

I think we'd all like to see a tech note on how to pull the rear panel under/around the RES aux jacks and get under there. Is there something simple you could post?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure-Im looking at the Helm manual now.
"Remove the lft rear side trim panel )see page 20-59. Disconnect the 14P connector from underneath from the auxilliary jack assembly. Carefully pry the aux. jack assy our of the left side rear trim panel. Install in reverse order of removal."

So you have to take the panel loose, disconnect the wires from underneath-1 harness, then pry out the entire aux. assy.

For what it is worth-the page next to that one has the wiring-there are 14 wires-let me know if you need help with those ever identifying them.

My long term plan is to tap into those wires for the VCR-that way I can still use the jacks for something else. Heck I may just do it tomorrow since Ill probably be in there.

Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts