Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just ordered an 2002 EXL and are debating the factory installed RES. Does the RES include a cassette player? The dealer we ordered through has forced us to order an accessory package through them (cassette, roof bars, back well mat, mud guards,) they say it helps them get the van faster. We did not argue since I would have ordered those any way! The point here is if we order a factory instlled RES and it comes with a cassette then we can lessen the acc. package?
Beyond that it seems to make sense to have it factory installed vs an after market one?
Any insights would help!
Respectfully,
Herc

·
Registered
126 Posts
Herc,

Yes, the head-unit of the factory installed RES has both a CD and a Cassette drive. I believe you can see images and details here:

http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/Model/own_man/2002Odyssey.pdf

This link was still good 22Feb2002, it's a PDF file of the Ody manual. After it loads in your browser, drag the right gray windows slider button down, watching the page numbers until you get to page 208 or so. From there you can click up or down a few pages to read about RES and see line drawings of details.

TarHeelGG

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wyngon:
The dealer we ordered through has forced us to order an accessory package through them (cassette, roof bars, back well mat, mud guards,) they say it helps them get the van faster.
</font>
Hmm.. sounds like another crooked, lying dealer. Think about it. All the options listed are DEALER INSTALLED. So how does that help them get the van "faster"? Don't walk away. RUN!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
The point here is if we order a factory instlled RES and it comes with a cassette then we can lessen the acc. package?
</font>
I just don't think it's right for a dealer to force any extra options on a person for any reason. Now if it's a factory installed package, that's one thing, let the dealer offer it up and you decide. If they install it after THEY receive it, just for the sake of jacking hte price up and making more margin, that's a big sin IMHO.

Man, I'm really starting to sound like Jim now, huh?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Beyond that it seems to make sense to have it factory installed vs an after market one?
Any insights would help!
Respectfully,
Herc
</font>
This has been discussed quite a bit, but from what I know, the factory RES is a great option, assuming your want leather for sure. The factory RES is very well integrated and probably well worth it esp. on the perspective of resale value.

The reason to go aftermarket lies in either a) trying to save money (systems can be done for <$500 if you are a good shopper) or b) wanting more system design and upgrade flexibility.

Hope this helps. Good Luck in any case.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Cancel your order, then go and renegotiate the deal or better yet, go to another dealer. There is no need to go to a shafty dealer like that these days.

In Eastern MA, there are more than a half-dozen dealers. They may not want to deal on price, but some don't force any package deals on you. All that crap is added at the dealer.

See my commentary on two MA dealers in the dealer forum. We just took delivery yesterday on our EXL-RES. Ordered it 14 days ago over the phone, $500 deposit. It looks like they currently have 11 Ody's on the lot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Herc,

I agree with the other members, the dealer is not being honest with you. The EXL-RES already comes with a cassette player and cd player all occupying the double din in your console and the dvd player between the cup/coin holder and storage compartment check out www.hondanews.com and you'll see the system for the EXL-RES.
When you said you ordered an EXL and still debating on whether to have a factory installed RES or not, I bet the dealer must have ordered you an EXL and will just install an I-VES and a cassette player instead thats why maybe he thinks a he can add a cassette player in the package either that or your dealer just doesn't know what he's talking about.

Going for an aftermarket solution for a RES is a two way street its either you'll save a lot or you'll spend more than buying an EXL-RES. It will all depend on how simple or complex you want your system to be.

Hope this helps.

------------------
'02 Odyssey EX Redrock Pearl
Alpine Multi Media setup
MB Quart speakers
PS2

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all who replied. Fortunately we have canceled our order with the dealer who was forcing us to take the accessory package. We did some calling to other dealers and all were well below this dealer in cost. I even called the sevice department of the dealer in question and asked for the price to install the package accessories and they quoted us $219.00 less then the salesmen did? We havve placed another order with another local dealer no add ons necessary! I only wished I had read "superdads" comments in the dealer forum and called the dealer he mentioned.
For now though we are happy with our decision to switch dealers and yes we did order with the RES!

Thanks again to all and we look forward to more conversations!

Resectfully,
wyngon

·
Registered
22 Posts
"The dealer we ordered through has forced us to order an accessory package through them (cassette, roof bars, back well mat, mud guards,) they say it helps them get the van faster."

Far be it from me to defend a dealer that may or may not be honest...But, it may be the case that he was going to trade for the vehicle and the dealer that he was trading with had the extras installed already. That would explain his notion of getting one sooner. However if that were the case, he should have infored you of that situation. He's either stupid or shady. Either way you done good going elswhere.

"The reason to go aftermarket lies in either a) trying to save money (systems can be done for <$500 if you are a good shopper) or b) wanting more system design and upgrade flexibility."

Or c)you want the NAVI as I do.

I e-mailed David McDavid in Irving, Texas on monday and asked if they had a GG EXL NAVI. Tommy Chase responded that they did. I called imediatly and asked him again. He said yes. And he would sell it to me for $400 under MSRP AND that he will add no DIO's unless I requested them. I gave him my VISA to hold it for me. I think there are some dealers out there that have gotten the message.

Now I got to find a way to get to Irving, Texas from SoFLA. Any one in the area want to deliver it? It's only about a 20 hour drive. But in the Ody NAVI, it'll seem like a heart beat.

Just my $0.02

[This message has been edited by BadAngler (edited 02-27-2002).]

·
Registered
81 Posts
At least you'll be able to find your way home.

Seriously though, you couldn't find one closer to home?

Scott

------------------
'02 SS EX-L RES

1 - 8 of 8 Posts