Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a little further down about just swapping the monitor on the factory RES system. But now we're wondering if we'd get more of our money out of it if we shopped around a little bit and went aftermarket.

Has anyone installed a RES system (any sort of aftermarket) in their Ody? My step dad isn't happy with the puny 7" screen, and he heard about a 13" from a car audio place.

The minimum monitor size we can handle is 9", and we want to have the in-dash DVD and maybe a VHS player hookup too.

Are there any good sites where we can shop around? Any brand recommendations, etc.?

Thanks!

Michelle

------------------

• 1995 Civic Teal DX Coupe
  • 2002 RP Odyssey EXL-RES (soon!)
  • 1987 Blue Civic Sedan
  • 1990 Grey Chrysler LeBaron GTC Convertable
  • '86 Silver Toyota LE Van
  • 1967 Honda Dream Motorcycle

·
Registered
92 Posts
A 7" in-dash is not all that bad, when most automotive LCD's are 5.6" or 6.5". Hope your not intending to watch the front screen from the back seat! A better solution would be to have overhead ceiling mount 6" or > for your rear passengers. Also, be aware that Honda navigation will not display video without modificaitons - see Video On My Navi posts here.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I meant to say that we want an overhead mount. Just forgot to say that...

I was all over the internet today and it looks like 7" is as big as they come without a big hassle. Looks fine to me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have seen larger (10" or 12" I believe) LCD displays at www.partsexpress.com. As far as other aftermarket entertainment systems, check some of the older posts in the various forums here. I remember several lengthy discussions as to details on prices and included equipment in those discussions.

My $.02 is that 6.5" to 7" is plenty for the passengers riding in the back, especially for kids. Pictures of our system is posted here in the Tech section if you are interested.

Good luck,

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
k, found a 13" monitor we like (only $800!).

Does anyone know if this thing will be compatable with the RES system? We just want to swap the monitor, not the DVD player, wiring, headphones, etc.

This will probably void the RES warranty. Any way around that?

Also, is there a way to permanently install a VCP and run it thru the RES system? (like a hard wire install?)

Thanks.

------------------

• 1987 Blue Civic Sedan

·
1,484 Posts

Does anyone know if this thing will be compatable with the RES system? We just want to swap the monitor, not the DVD player, wiring, headphones, etc.

I would think so. Just find out which wires does what (ie Power, Ground, ACC, Video, etc). Then just hook them up accordingly to the LCDs wiring.

This will probably void the RES warranty. Any way around that?

If possible...try to make the installation reversable so when something breaks you could just put it back to it's original state.

Also, is there a way to permanently install a VCP and run it thru the RES system? (like a hard wire install?)

With or without replacing the DVD unit? If replacing then yes hard wiring would be a possible solution. If not replacing it then you might need some sort of source selector like VideoNAVI's. This also depends on whether the RES comes with AUX RCA inputs like the iVES.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We want to keep the DVD. So some sort of 'control box' (if you will) is necessiary to select between the two. I would think so...

Thanks! That's very encouraging.

Michelle

------------------

• 1987 Blue Civic Sedan

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had read there are aux. inputs for VCP or games in the RES system. Where they are is unknown at this time, but the IVES had them to. I plan on doing the exact same thing-wiring a VCP into the 02 RES I have on order. The players are cheap and will fit under a seat. I just dont know where the inputs are as of yet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts