Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! There was a thread of the same subject line above back in Oct2001 in the Off-Topic forum. I don't think it got enough discussion.

What's out there on DVD for various age kids? Where are good links for finding information/reviews of DVDs for kids? Where are good sites to buy them?

What about material that's beyond the usual Hollywood stuff? Are there documentary things - after all, you've got a captive audience in those back seats - what about sneaking in a little bit of interesting real-world stuff. My kids were fascinated a few years back by some videos about how things got made in various factory settings.

Please share your finds, or, if it's a DVD wasteland out there I'd be interested to know that too. I have almost zero experience myself.

TarHeelGG

·
Registered
48 Posts
It all depends on the age of the kids. My 16 month old son has been enamored with the Baby Einstein series ever since he was an infant. My friends with older kids tell me that Disney movies (such as Aladdin, Lion King, etc) are big hits for them.
-Jack

------------------
- 92 Acura Integra GS-R
- 94 Honda Civic EX
? 02 Honda Odyssey EX ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TarHeelGG:
Hey! There was a thread of the same subject line above back in Oct2001 in the Off-Topic forum. I don't think it got enough discussion.

What's out there on DVD for various age kids? Where are good links for finding information/reviews of DVDs for kids? Where are good sites to buy them?

What about material that's beyond the usual Hollywood stuff? Are there documentary things - after all, you've got a captive audience in those back seats - what about sneaking in a little bit of interesting real-world stuff. My kids were fascinated a few years back by some videos about how things got made in various factory settings.

Please share your finds, or, if it's a DVD wasteland out there I'd be interested to know that too. I have almost zero experience myself.

TarHeelGG
</font>
I've not tried one yet that shows off screen/surround decoding better than Shrek. Just be careful which of the two disks you insert. One is a 4:3 (standard aspect ratio) and the other is done in widescreen. The widescreen look much nicer with this system (since it would just stretch the 4:3 disk to fill the screen anyway, and that looks kind of odd). Sorry, but I don't remember which disk is the widescreen one, but it should be marked on the front of the DVD.

·
1,484 Posts
For younger kids....
- Toy Story 1 and 2: Both have great stories
- A Bug's Life: Overall good and entertaining movie
- Monsters, Inc.: Not out yet but a very cute story
- Iron Giant: I highly recommend this movie.

For older kids and adults...
- The Emperor's New Groove: A very silly but smart movie.
- The Simpsons 1st Season DVD Set: No explanation needed here.
- Shrek: I highly recommend this movie too. It's an extremely fun movie.
- Kiki's Delivery Service: It's a Japanese animated film. It doesn't have a grand of story like the others but it's a very nice down to earth movie.

All of those are my...yes, 'MY' personal favorites. As for more educational stuff, although not on DVD, Junkyard Wars on TLC is a great program for anyone to learn how things work. Plus it teaches them the importance of recycling.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Thumbs up to the Baby Einstein collection. I've got them all, my 2 year+ old still likes them alot.
Disney movies are the next favorite..

TS, TS2
Little Mermaid
Mulan
Pochahontas
Fantasia 2000

Only problem is that some Disney movies are not yet avail on DVD, like The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast (coming soon!), etc..

I guess I'm sold on alot of the Hollywood Disney stuff myself.

And for adults, I agree with Nestor, Shrek and Kiki's Deliver are quite good.

One Japanese film that has been translated to English, but only available on video cassette is Totoro. Great film, IMHO, and my daughter LOVES it.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

P

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What about material that's beyond the usual Hollywood stuff? Are there documentary things - after all, you've got a captive audience in those back seats - what about sneaking in a little bit of interesting real-world stuff. My kids were fascinated a few years back by some videos about how things got made in various factory settings.</font>
I saw a Discovery Channel "Walking with Dinosaurs" DVD at Cosco yesterday. That was the only documentary I saw, but they do exist (just aren't as easy to find).

That factory video sounds really cool. I love that stuff.

Michelle

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 3 year old is into anything about planets.

There is an IMAX space set out, some A&E and BBC docs on space and one with a voice over by Patrick Stewart. The Imax Destiny in Space is his favorite I think.

We did put Bug's Life in today after getting the roof screen installed (we have a Kenwood navigation with the dvd/touch screen in the dash) but he wanted the planet movies after a few minutes.

We have the Walking With Dinos as mentioned above and it is a pretty nice dvd set.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My 2 year old daugther's favorites are Dumbo, Snow White and Toy Story. She does like the scary parts in snow white so it ends up being only a 20 minute show. Ken

·
Registered
166 Posts
To ALL RES owner where do you put all those CR / DVD ?

P

·
0 Posts
We have a cd holder that stows in the front passenger storage drawer. It's the perfect size so it doesn't slide around.

Michelle

·
Registered
4,495 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the great replies!

Keep 'em coming so we can all go back here and update our lists when we go DVD shopping.

Be sure and note your observations of which age kids particularly like each pick.

If anyone gets inspired and finds those documentaries and other unusual enriching things be sure and let us know. And we're still hoping some of you know of good web sites that might have compiled material like this.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I own a lot of DVD's. We have a two year-old daughter. At 6 months old, she liked Baby Mozart, and didn't pay attention to any other movies.

At 2 years and 3 months, her favorites now are Snow White and Wallace & Grommit. With Snow White, I always fast forward through several scary scenes. Wallace & Grommit doesn't have any scary scenes. Wallace & Grommit is one DVD with 3 short movies, so it's good for short trips.

Over the next 6 months, I'm sure she'll start to enjoy the other Disney movies.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Marshall,

I agree. My kids loved the Wallace & Grommet claymations. My 5-year old still enjoys them from time to time. They're quite funny and well done - if I walk into the room I'm hooked too! Glad to hear they're on DVD.

Chatting with some of the other swimteam parents at a recent meet I mentioned hoping to find documentaries and other non-fiction DVDs and one couple laughed and said that they liked to let their kids watch hollywood mainstream stuff, tv "junk" etc. when on the road as a treat since they generally don't have time at home because of homework and plenty of non-media activities.

I thought this was an interesting twist.

I'm still determined that there's a lot of potential info out there among our (what, 1800? forum contributors)..

TarHeelGG

·
Registered
25 Posts
4 year old

All "Power Rangers" all the time

8 year old

Toy Story I and II, Star Wars and Princess Bride

------------------
2001 Canyon Stone Silver, S2000 antenna, Gold emblem, 6-disk Changer, I-VES system with DVD, upgraded stereo system with Kenwood speakers, amp and subwoofer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My kids 2,4, & 7 all like the usual kid's stuff (Shrek, Chicken Run are a couple of favs). One of their favorites though is a Discovery Channel series called Blue Planet. Four hours of great ocean footage. We saw the miniseries on Discovery and they posted a phone number to buy. I have also seen the DVD for at least a couple of the episodes at Barnes and Noble.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got thinking and went to look, Discovery channel has a lot of their series for sale. The Blue Planet disks are available for sale here: http://shopping.discovery.com/stores/servlet/Search?langId=-1&storeId=10000&catalogId=10000 FYI: my kids love Episode 2, it's about the Arctic... penguins, seals, polar bears, etc.

They also have several collections of "Junkyard Wars" for Nemogira, and I thought 'Engineering the Impossible' was extremely cool the other night.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There have been a lot of good kids movies lately I think that adults can enjoy too. Some of my favorites that I didn't see mentioned are:

Spy Kids
Cats & Dogs
Dinosaur
Veggie Tales

1 - 20 of 21 Posts