Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To anyone who has experience with the '02 factory RES, is it possible to simultaneously listen to different radio frequencies in the front and rear? I tried tuning in a different station in the back but both front and rear radio frequencies change.

I guess this makes sense if there is only one tuner.

---------
2002 GG EX-L RES
Cargo Tray & Weathertech Mats on order

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yes, I think it has only one tuner. I've tried lots of things. I was a little surprised that you couldn't even get different bands to the headphones and speakers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree it has one tuner. It would take two to do what you want. Let's see, how many options with different sources in front and rear: radio upfront, CD in rear; radio up front, movie in rear; radio in front, tape in rear; CD in front, tape in rear; CD up front, radio in rear; CD up front, movie in rear; CD up front, different CD in rear; tape up front, CD in rear; tape up front, movie in rear; CD up front, tape in rear; CD . . . I guess you get my point. Sorry you can't listen to two different radio stations, but you can't have it all. Oh, and I forgot that you can probably "listen" to a movie up front while listening to a different source in the rear AND you can add a VCR, TV tuner or video game to the rear inputs.

HEY, WAIT A MINUTE. Maybe you can add a cheap radio tuner to the rear audio inputs. Get a boombox or radio with audio outputs and hook it to the rear audio inputs. Voila! You have two radio stations. The RES is great! Good luck.

------------------
2002 TW EXL-RES
1997 BMW 328iA
Guess which one I drive?

·
Registered
7 Posts
A set of follow-up questions...I just got a quick look at the RES system yesterday ( I have mine on order) and didn't get a chance to ask a few questions - can someone please confirm the following:

1) You can listen to audio CDs in the DVD player (and can listen to two CDs at once)
2) The wireless headphones work from the 3rd row seat
3) A cassette deck is included in the RES system
4) There are jacks for connecting a VCR to the RES system.
5) The CD/radio can drive a CD changer.

Thanks in advance!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Av8torjim:
I agree it has one tuner. It would take two to do what you want. Let's see, how many options with different sources in front and rear: radio upfront, CD in rear; radio up front, movie in rear; radio in front, tape in rear; CD in front, tape in rear; CD up front, radio in rear; CD up front, movie in rear; CD up front, different CD in rear; tape up front, CD in rear; tape up front, movie in rear; CD up front, tape in rear; CD . . . I guess you get my point. Sorry you can't listen to two different radio stations, but you can't have it all. Oh, and I forgot that you can probably "listen" to a movie up front while listening to a different source in the rear AND you can add a VCR, TV tuner or video game to the rear inputs.

HEY, WAIT A MINUTE. Maybe you can add a cheap radio tuner to the rear audio inputs. Get a boombox or radio with audio outputs and hook it to the rear audio inputs. Voila! You have two radio stations. The RES is great! Good luck.
</font>

·
Registered
19 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by twoplusone:
A set of follow-up questions...I just got a quick look at the RES system yesterday ( I have mine on order) and didn't get a chance to ask a few questions - can someone please confirm the following:

1) You can listen to audio CDs in the DVD player (and can listen to two CDs at once)

Thanks in advance!

</font>
Yes to 1-4,I dont know if it can control a CD changer.

The audio and video RCA plugs are located on the L/H cup holder area of the third seat.

------------------
2002 MB EX-L RES
1996 Camaro Z-28
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2001 Yamaha R-1
1991 Yamaha FZR-600

[This message has been edited by Slopoke (edited 03-01-2002).]

·
Registered
143 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Slopoke:
Yes to 1-4,I dont know if it can control a CD changer.

The audio and video RCA plugs are located on the L/H cup holder area of the third seat.

</font>
Yes to 5, too. You can control a CD changer. Oh, and the wireless headphones work from both the 2nd and 3rd rows (but not from the first row seats).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally posted by twoplusone:

Thanks in advance!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes to all. According to the owner's manual description of the RES head unit, "A Compact Disc changer is available for your vehicle. It holds up to six discs. . . You operate this CD changer with the same controls used for the in-dash CD player."

Looks like you're in business. Look at Handa-accessories.com (link at top of page) for a reasonable price on the changer and installation instructions. Good luck!

------------------
2002 TW EXL-RES
1997 BMW 328iA
Guess which one I drive?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts