Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I know the subject of these two systems has come up before and I've searched through the forum archives and found lots of info, but I'm still a little undecided on this. I got on the waiting list for an EXL-RES, due sometime in April or May, and have been settling into the long wait. The dealer called today and said that they got in an EX-L that someone backed out on - same MB color as I want - and offered to add in the I-VES and Playstation 2. I'm a little put off by the FM modulator approach to the I-VES audio and would rather have the better integration with the radio of the factory DVD, but other than that I don't see too many other negatives to the deal and it would get me in a van a lot quicker. Not to mention that the Playstation would be a cool thing for the kiddos. I dunno -- wife wants to jump all over this, but I'm still a little hesitant.

Might have to get the garage cleaned out a little sooner than planned...

------------------
'02 MB EXL-RES on order... woo!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd personally hold off for the RES. We love ours. We have playstation hooked up in the back for long trips!!! It was definately worth the wait!!!

Kim

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KTPrzy:
I'd personally hold off for the RES. We love ours. We have playstation hooked up in the back for long trips!!! It was definately worth the wait!!!

Kim
</font>
We're going to go check it out tomorrow -- the dealer said they were planning to put in the I-VES either way, and said we could come by and take a look after it's in and if we like it we could take it home and if not no big deal.

------------------

P

·
0 Posts
My vote is for RES...we love ours.

Definitely worth the wait!

Michelle

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just got our EX-L RES a week ago and can`t speak highly enough for it.The quality of the picture is outstanding even in bright sunlight and the wireless headphones eliminate all that clutter.We had an option to get a jump on the list with after sale video but I personally don`t like the idea of ripping fittings out once it`s out of the factory.They can never put it back as well.The DVD unit takes up no room on the dash either.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'm still on the waiting list because I passed on the I-VES option. My wife really wanted the VCR, but I just didn't like the way the DVD playback would be integrated. The dealer was putting in a Playstation 2 which can play DVDs, but the likely mounting locations of the PS2 made it really inconvenient to put in a DVD or game unless you were sitting in the back. To the dealer's credit, they didn't pressure me at all -- they gave me the option and let me make up my mind without any hassle, so I couldn't ask for more than that. Despite my wife really leaning on me to get this one, I decided to hold out for the one I ordered with RES -- I gave it a couple of days worth of thought and almost went for it, but I figure if I have to debate something for that long then it isn't the right way to go.

So, I wait...

------------------

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can anybody explain the difference between RES and I-VES... I know that the RES is the factory installed system, what is I-VES?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ody2nv:
Can anybody explain the difference between RES and I-VES... I know that the RES is the factory installed system, what is I-VES? </font>
I-VES is the In-Vehicle Entertainment System. It is installed as a dealer option, and is covered under the Honda warranty. RES (Rear Entertainment System) is new for '02 and is installed at the factory and is not yet available as a dealer option.

As for the differences...

I-VES is a VHS playback system, RES is DVD
I-VES can work with any radio since it uses an FM modulator to connect to the van's stereo system, while RES is integrated with the radio

There are some similarities between the two, including:

Screen is similar or same
Both have an AUX input for video games or other video source
Both have the wireless headphones
Both can play movie audio through the headphones and something else on the radio
Both have a remote

Dealers are offering the I-VES system as an alternative to waiting on the list for a RES system. Some are now including Playstation 2 systems to add the DVD playback to the I-VES system (probably the exact deal found on Handa's site), but the drawback to that is that the PS2 will not be covered under the Honda warranty, so if you have any problems with it you'll have to take it up with Sony.

------------------

·
Registered
350 Posts
For the price of either a factory or dealer installed entertainment system, I could buy each of my three kids a portable dvd player and have money left over for dvds.

And you don't have to be in the van to use them.

(not that I'm going to do it)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by latichever:
For the price of either a factory or dealer installed entertainment system, I could buy each of my three kids a portable dvd player and have money left over for dvds.
</font>
Yeah, but there's no waiting list to buy portable DVD players... what fun is that?

------------------

·
Registered
52 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Junior Samples:
Both can play movie audio through the headphones and something else on the radio
</font>
That is correct, but the factory RES can do even more. It is the only one of the two that can separately play any of the 5 available sources (radio, DVD, CD, Cassette, or AUX device) through the wireless headphone, and SEPARATELY play one of the other sources through the van's speakers.

For those parents out there that have suffered through kids cassette tapes or CDs, this is the nicest and most used feature for us as we only intend on using the screen for trips. And yea, we could have bought the kids walkmans instead, but like you said, where is the fun in that?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by viper001:
That is correct, but the factory RES can do even more. It is the only one of the two that can separately play any of the 5 available sources (radio, DVD, CD, Cassette, or AUX device) through the wireless headphone, and SEPARATELY play one of the other sources through the van's speakers.

For those parents out there that have suffered through kids cassette tapes or CDs, this is the nicest and most used feature for us as we only intend on using the screen for trips. And yea, we could have bought the kids walkmans instead, but like you said, where is the fun in that?
</font>
Cool! I didn't know the factory RES could do that. I'm glad I'm waiting for that instead of settling for the I-VES system. The main thing I didn't like about I-VES was that the PS2 would have been awkward to get to and nowhere near as convenient as having the DVD player in the dash. Also, the FM modulator interface for the audio just seemed like a kludge.

------------------

·
Registered
123 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by viper001:

</font>
Are you sure?? Two dealers both told me the factory RES would only play either the same thing the stereo speakers were playing, or the DVD video while the stereo played something else, but did not have the ability to say play a cassette or cd on the headphones, while listening to the radio on the stereo speakers. Someone who has this system please verify this!!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
No, the headphones can be listening to any source independent of what the front speakers are playing.

And the DVD player is also a CD player, so the RES has two CD players.

Also, the mount for the screen includes all controls required to control whatever source that they headphones are listening to. In addition, the remote control for the rear folks can also control whatever the headphones are listening to.

(By control, I mean that if the front speakers are playing the CD, the headphones can be playing a radio and can tune the radio and change bands. Or can play another CD and have full control over that. Or can play a tape and have control over ff, rew, etc. Or can play the DVD and have complete control over it like you were at home.)

And of course, the two IR headphones have their own volume controls. And the three plug-in headphones have THEIR own volume controls.

The Honda RES may not be perfect, but for a factory system it's damned good.

·
Registered
52 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shumdit:
Are you sure?? Two dealers both told me the factory RES would only play either the same thing the stereo speakers were playing, or the DVD video while the stereo played something else, but did not have the ability to say play a cassette or cd on the headphones, while listening to the radio on the stereo speakers. Someone who has this system please verify this!!

</font>
I am completely positive, the proof is parked in my garage right now, I have the factory RES system, so I can verify that you have been given incorrect information twice over from both of those dealers. Either those dealers have not seen enough RES to know what it is cabable of doing (the most likely and least sinister scenerio), or, they have too long of a wait list to get any RES so they are pushing the IVES or other aftermarket systems to try to keep everyone happy.

Don't get me wrong, I am not completely dogging all the aftermarket systems that are out there. Admittedly, they have some cool features that do not come with the factory RES, and they have a decided price advantage from what I am hearing. But from a vehicle integration point of view, and an audio zoning point of view, and from a sound quality point of view (RES handles and utilizes movie surround encoding even to the wireless headphones, both Dolby Digital and Pro Logic), the RES is the hands down winner, IMHO.

[This message has been edited by viper001 (edited 02-10-2002).]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts