Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to place an order for a 2002 Odyssey. I would like both the RES and the NAVI. However, RES+NAVI is not a factory option. I will choose to order either the EXL-RES or EXL-NAVI + dealer iVES. Does anybody know the difference between the factory installed RES and dealer installed iVES systems? Will the dealer installed system be as good as the factory?

·
Registered
211 Posts
The easy difference is the iVES is VHS in an out of dash box, and the RES is DVD with an in-dash player.
Chris

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well, IMO the main consideration is that the aftermarket entertainment system is cheaper and easier to install than to try and find and install the Navigation system. I am ordering a Nav. and may get a RES of some type later. Besides, my video tastes are pretty "low-tech"-nothing but VHS and mostly kids videos at that!

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

·
Registered
564 Posts
My dealer swears they can add the RES (DVD-based) to my EXL-Nav for $2250.

I too ordered EXL-Nav, wanting both Nav and RES eventually.

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me." - Steve Marin
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 Volvo V70 T5, white/graphite

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to you all for your response. Shortly after posting my question I located the message board, "Latest DVD news!!!!", and learned a great deal regarding the ody entertainment systems. I'll most likely do what Darell is doing and order the EXL-NAV and somehow get a DVD system (hopefully the RES)installed after delivery. I plan to place the order next week for November delivery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I chose to go with the RES because I have a Streetpilot III navigation system which is portable. I have been quite happy with the Streetpilot III.. has a nice color screen (although not as large as the Honda screen) and functionally the two units are pretty much equivalent. (I know because I have the NAV unit on my Acura MDX which is quite similar to the Honda unit). Also, I liked the better integration of the RES compared to the i-VES system and also that the RES is DVD. Just my $0.02.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts