Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the brochure I got about the Ody, if I have any dealer accessories installed when the vehicle is delivered, the accessory is automatically covered by the 3/36 warranty. Is this true? Does it apply to something as expensive as an RES?

Just to be clear, I'm getting the EX and having the RES installed not the EX-L with the factory installed RES.

I'm trying to compare what my local car stereo guy can do in terms of features, price and warranty with what my Honda dealer can do.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
You're not getting RES. At best, you're getting i-VES.

RES is completely different.

If it's a Honda accessory, then yes--it's covered the full 3/36 if it's bought and installed at time of purchase.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I thought RES was just a generic acronym for rear entertainment system. But the bottom line I guess is that there is real value in getting it installed at purchase as opposed to 2-3 months down the line.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Yeah, if it's a Honda accessory.

Frankly, I think the Honda accessory i-VES is ugly and not worth it. Factory RES makes so much more sense--but then, you have to get the leather, which racks the total price up to $3000.

And if you don't want leather, that's another few hundred $$$ to replace the leather with cloth seat covers.

As you poke around this forum, you'll find many, many ideas for video systems that, frankly, make more sense than the Honda i-VES. You'll probably spend the $1500 by the time you're done, but if you shop carefully and get a good installer, you'll have a very nice system installed in the van that *you* really wanted--no matter what trim level or other options.

I just took the easy way out and got Honda RES because I also wanted leather so it wasn't a big deal.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Just as a clarification:
RES = Rear Entertainment System. Used as an acronym for Honda's factory installed version (as in Odyssey EX-L-RES) but also has been used in this forum as a generic acronym for any rear video system.

IVES = In Vehicle Entertainment System, specifically refering to a honda accessory installed by a dealer (or even individual).

Take a look at HandA's site to see the Honda IVES:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyelec02.html

To answer you question, get the IVES installed by the dealer, it should be covered under the warranty. I don't think it matters if it is done at delivery or a couple months down the line since warranty is from the date of vehicle purchase (of course you lose those couple of months though obviously). Maybe post on the warranty forum for further clarification.

In weighing your upgrade options, assuming no factory RES, consider:

1) IVES comes with a VCP, not DVD, though HandA includes a PS2 in the package so you can have both.
2) IVES sound integration is through an FM modulator, not very optimal for SQ. Also a fairly bulky console that's front and center; convenient location, arguably unsightly.
3) Aftermarket gives you many more choices for a truly customized system, exactly to your tastes
4) You're likely to save significant $$ if you wanna shop around on aftermarket solutions.

In the end you gotta be happy with what you get. Lots of options an opinions. Factory RES is a great thing in terms of integration in the vehicle, but leather is not for everyone...

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts