Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a duplicate post, but I thought I'd ask again. Is the RES really worth it? I've seen a number of posts that have had stuck pixel problems and they add another $1500 onto the permanently stuck MSRP. I have an EX-L RRP on order and I'm on a list for one with the RES, but no definite timeline on when it'll come in. I'm anticipating the EXL coming in before the RES, but I'm curious as to your thoughts on it. Should I hold out for the RES or take the EXL?

Thanks all.
Killroy

·
Registered
196 Posts
Of coarse it is always a matter of personal preference. I had a beige EX-L on order and I got tired of waiting. Honda told me it would be another 2 or more months and asked if I could widen my options. I ended up getting a RRP EXL-RES. Wow! I am totally impressed with the system. It is very well thought out and implemented. Had I known it would be so good I would have ordered one in the first place.

------------------

See my Pics

Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well,

It has only been one day, but we love ours. My two year old actually can't wait to get into our "new van"

·
Registered
2 Posts
We've had our RES now for about 10 days, and it's great. I'm not sure about the bad pixel, but there a couple of other nice things in the RES (a) you get the cassette player for free (b) even if you're not watching the DVD, you can still use the rear system to hear a different audio source than the front system, using the headphones.
- HN

·
Registered
68 Posts
Don't let the stuck pixel thread fool you. Nearly all LCD's have one somewhere (stuck pixels can be ON or OFF.)

We have one and no one can even see it until I point it out to them.

Is RES worth it? It depends. Besides watching movies, the ability to listen to two different audio sources is great. In fact, it's possible to listen to two different CD's at the same time - one through the speakers, and one through the headsets (the DVD player can play CD's too.)

Greg

·
Registered
15 Posts
I suppose to answer this question you have to ask yourself, "Do I want video in my van?" After you answer this question in the affirmative you are left with two alternatives:

*** Order the RES package. ***

BENEFITS:
Full Honda Warranty
Worry-Free Installation
Integrated with existing head unit(s).

DETRIMENTS:
High dealer costs.
Integrated with existing head unit(s). (Unable to upgrade as technology improves.)
No customizations for your particular needs. (Multiple inputs, antennas, etc.)

*** Get an aftermarket system. ***
BENEFITS:
Ability to choose exactly the equipment you want.

Ability to customize the installation to your liking.

Ability to easily upgrade systems as they become obsolete.

Lower cost allowing for more or better equipment than dealer offers. (However, installation costs may put a damper on this.)

DETRIMENTS:
Possibly putting your $30k van in the hands of an 18 year old stereo installer.

Worse yet, putting your $30k van in the hands of yourself!

No dealer warranty. (However, you may get warranty on the individual components.)

*** SYNOPSIS ***
I was struggling with this decision, myself. I am about to order an GG EX w/o the RES because I would rather do it myself and get more equipment. For the same cost as the Honda installation and can get two decent (and larger) Jensen monitors along with a Blaupunkt head unit that will fit nicely under the seat (that also plays MP3s!). I retain the ability to put input jacks wherever I desire and can make sure the installation is done to my standards. To each their own, this installation is not for the faint of heart and may be worth the cost to take them to your local shop. Another alternative is speaking with your Honda dealer. Mine was willing to install my equipment and extend the warranty to cover the installation only. Yours may do the same.

Hope this helps!

-Kurt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts