Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at a copy of the Kelley Blue Book the other day to see what the numbers were for my 2001 LX. I could not help noticing that the EX came in at only $1500 higher and the NAV only returned $765 of the original cost. WOW, those are large drops in one year
! Those accessories really drop fast, as compared to the base van, which booked at retail for almost the sticker price. I guess this is a wakeup call to those who think all that "stuff" is good for resale. Of course, the presence of some of them may make for an easier sale, but, monetarily, the return would not be so great, expecially on the NAV system (maybe maps are not so bad, Hee! Hee!). Just thinkin' out loud.........

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
331 Posts
JerryO - if you go over to the big "E" site and read the introduction to the long term review on the DGC, they complain about the lack of resale of those as well.

The dealer installed Mopar entertainment system they considered has a $0 residual per Chrysler Leasing on a two year lease.

You pay $1,400 and give it back to them!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
But I would imagine very few buy accessories like these with a view toward higher resale (I know I don't). The value is in their utility.

After all, we are talking about electronics here which, historically, haven't returned much in the way of resale (viz, TVs, PDAs, PCs, etc.). The people that get whacked are those who pay for such accessories but don't use them.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the van world has been one of TERRIBLE resale values. I fear that as Honda gears production up to levels high enough to make them plentiful, we will see some of the same on our iron. We are in an artificial situation right now, now unlike the great stock market of the last few years. Eventually, reality usually sets in........

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
33 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Homer:
After all, we are talking about electronics here which, historically, haven't returned much in the way of resale (viz, TVs, PDAs, PCs, etc.).</font>
I dunno...I see used high-end aftermarket car units (Alpine, Pioneer, etc.) going on eBay for 60 to 75% of their original cost.

------------------
RW
'02 SS EX (Navi Wanted, but not Leather--looking into Aftermarket Navi)
- Cargo Tray & Cover
- Mud Flaps
- Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
- Lots of Scotch-Guard
'89 Red Mazda B2200
'86 Gray Acura Legend (Tranny going out--replacing with Ody!)
'84 Honda V500 Interceptor Motorcycle
Past 'Fav: '86 Honda Prelude Si (totalled by an idiot from behind)

·
Registered
331 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RWhittle:
I dunno...I see used high-end aftermarket car units (Alpine, Pioneer, etc.) going on eBay for 60 to 75% of their original cost.
</font>
With no warranty and very little recourse if the the thing dies on after 2 months.

Over on the Edmunds site under Real World Trade In Values, the 2-3 dealers who post there usually tell people who have dumped big $$ into aftermarket audio and video systems (and rims/tires) to take them out if they can. They add little to nothing to the resale value of the car.

As for the ebay sales, I think too many people feel their used stuff is worth too much. There truly can be bargains - but for the most part some of the prices are too high. I just saw a set of 2001 Accord V6 rims with tires listed for $500 plus shipping. For the most part a pretty good price. But you have to buy them sight unseen and rely on the seller to be able to pack them well to ship to you. The same rim is about $140 at HandA. But, at least from them I know they are new and will be in a factory box which will ship well. My opinion is that most people selling those items just dumped more money into accessories and want to get some of their money back. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ebay can get funky, though. I've seen stuff being bid up to the stratosphere in the last couple of minutes of an auction. I don't know whether it's an ego thing, manipulation, or what but ending prices are not always a good barometer of FMV in the real (non-cyber) world.

I had the highest bid in one auction and received the item (exam review materials) in good shape and at a decent price. Prior to that, however, I had lost to other bidders several times who, IMHO, simply got carried away with the process. But then several days later, I got e-mails from sellers asking me if I was still interested because the winning bidder had either backed out or never contacted the seller.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts