Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI for those concerned with reliability and resale:

We got an “official” offer (not going to take it) to sell our 2019 Elite with 25k miles for $42,500. Possibly higher if we negotiate. Note we paid LESS than that new. 2 1/2 years ago.

CarMax, etc online sale/trade was much lower (mid-30s), so it’s an in-person thing that requires some work.

Problem? What the hell could we buy… and not get gouged…

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,335 Posts
Where did you get this offer from, a local dealership?

For that price, it would make a lot of sense to sell and just buy a new model.

·
Registered
27 Posts
that offer seems a much higher than what I've seen. That trade-in value is higher than the retail value. Must have been contingent on purchasing a new car. Right?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Carvana offered $36K for our 2019 Elite, 31K miles

The Carfax "your dealer wants to buy your car" e-mail claims $29,910 assuming Good conidition.

$42.5K is the highest offer I've seen to date. Is that dependent on buying another vehicle (at MSRP or higher) from that dealership?

FYI for those concerned with reliability and resale:

We got an “official” offer (not going to take it) to sell our 2019 Elite with 25k miles for $42,500. Possibly higher if we negotiate. Note we paid LESS than that new. 2 1/2 years ago.

CarMax, etc online sale/trade was much lower (mid-30s), so it’s an in-person thing that requires some work.

Problem? What the hell could we buy… and not get gouged…

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carvana offered $36K for our 2019 Elite, 31K miles

The Carfax "your dealer wants to buy your car" e-mail claims $29,910 assuming Good conidition.

$42.5K is the highest offer I've seen to date. Is that dependent on buying another vehicle (at MSRP or higher) from that dealership?
Private sale. Person was quoted $44k+ for a similar model in worse condition (we still have original floor mats, car was clean, etc.).
CarFax hasn't updated their values to reflect current market conditions. Take a look at Autotrader.

As I noted in my post above, Carvana, CarFax, CarMax (they all rhyme), etc. offer in the mid-30's.
But that's not true, today, June 1, 2021.

Why? Inventory is #1.
But new cars aren't available below MSRP. I estimated that we've saved 10%-15% below MSRP on every car purchased (except for my Nissan GT-R) since 2004.
Not any more.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WIth the current market I am not surprised :)
did you ask them what would be the price of a new one and how it compares to the price you paid for your Elite back then?
Full MSRP, or close to it.

We paid $41.7k (see the spreadsheet/thread on this site) new; $42.6k w/ destination and we pay tax monthly (was easier).

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where did you get this offer from, a local dealership?

For that price, it would make a lot of sense to sell and just buy a new model.
Again, we sell, and we'll pay the full $50k+ for a new one. Not worth it.
Instead, we're buying ours outright.
Figure once the market corrects we'll be fine to sell where we were - or a little above.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I briefly considered selling our 2019 Elite and upgrading to a 2022. I read some of the threads that compared ownership experience between 2018/19 & 2021/22.

Our dealer has torn into our 2019 Elite for multiple service campaigns/recalls, and other warranty repairs. It would have been nice to start new again, but financially, didn't make sense. Our 2019 already has the OEM tow hitch installed, fairly new Continental LX25 tires, and HondaCare extended warranty. We'll ride this out for another 2-3 years and reassess.

Again, we sell, and we'll pay the full $50k+ for a new one. Not worth it.
Instead, we're buying ours outright.
Figure once the market corrects we'll be fine to sell where we were - or a little above.

·
Registered
2020 Odyssey Elite
10 Posts
I just traded-in my 2020 Elite with 6k miles for a 2022 Elite. Vroom/Carvana offered $41000 and CarMax offered $43300 after a full in person inspection. Multiple Honda dealers in the Baltimore area would not offer more than $41k, while also discounting approximately $5k below msrp on the 2022s. The dealer has now turned around and listed my 2020 for $44000. Fortunately, the trade-in offer for $41k plus the sales tax credit was more than the OTD price I paid back in January for the 2020, as the previous dealer was clearing out year-end inventory.

·
Super Moderator
13,931 Posts
If one can drag it out a few months without a van, this may be a good deal. Sell at high resale, wait for year end close out and buy new model year cheaper than MSRP. The chip shortage should be resolved by then, the pandemic issue should be on a rebound. I think the new prices will go back to normal levels come Nov/December. Speculation on my part that is.

Reactions: peterway

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
If one can drag it out a few months without a van, this may be a good deal. Sell at high resale, wait for year end close out and buy new model year cheaper than MSRP. The chip shortage should be resolved by then, the pandemic issue should be on a rebound. I think the new prices will go back to normal levels come Nov/December. Speculation on my part that is.
I too, am hoping. I had talked with a friend in Virginia last week and he said that China is really tightening down on Taiwan and they want the chip manufacturing company, basically to blackmail the world and hold on to it's inventory. He's wondering if the US is not going to tolerate it, they have the U.S. Navy's 7th Fleet around there in which sent the guided missile destroyer USS Curtis Wilbur to conduct a routine Taiwan Strait transit on May19th.
Meanwhile Japan and Taiwan has agreed on building together the technology for chip making in Japan (again wondering what the US will do as US gave to Taiwan with agreement not to let out this process to any other countries. Why, oh why did we have to stop making chips and medicine and almost everything else. I know it comes down to taxes, but it like shooting our own feet with foreign made guns & bullets.

Ok, I'm off the subject I know.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I too, am hoping. I had talked with a friend in Virginia last week and he said that China is really tightening down on Taiwan and they want the chip manufacturing company, basically to blackmail the world and hold on to it's inventory. He's wondering if the US is not going to tolerate it, they have the U.S. Navy's 7th Fleet around there in which sent the guided missile destroyer USS Curtis Wilbur to conduct a routine Taiwan Strait transit on May19th.
Meanwhile Japan and Taiwan has agreed on building together the technology for chip making in Japan (again wondering what the US will do as US gave to Taiwan with agreement not to let out this process to any other countries. Why, oh why did we have to stop making chips and medicine and almost everything else. I know it comes down to taxes, but it like shooting our own feet with foreign made guns & bullets.

Ok, I'm off the subject I know.
Read the book 2034.
We won’t need vans we’ll need bunkers.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My brother in law and his wife are expecting their second baby in a few weeks and have been shopping minivans.

They went to test drive the new Kia Carnival with a $42k sticker and were told it would have a $10k ADM attached so $52k. They offered sticker and said the dealer acted offended. Not helping their case was the fact that there was a line of couples waiting to test drive the same car.

Can’t blame dealers to strike when it’s hot but you are right selling high means buying high too.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,884 Posts
Lindros2, could you trade your 2019 Elite for a 2022 EX for about the same money or do you need all the extra toys? Just a thought. I know it's a step down but a huge step up in model years.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lindros2, could you trade your 2019 Elite for a 2022 EX for about the same money or do you need all the extra toys? Just a thought. I know it's a step down but a huge step up in model years.
"Huge step up in model years" ?
Really? I would argue a step DOWN.
For contrast piping, a cheaper looking black tailgate bar, no vacuum, and what else?
This is 2019 > 2022, not 2009 > 2022.
Oh wait - it has a USB cable passthrough!!!!!!!!!
[facepalm]

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,884 Posts
Oh wait - it has a USB cable passthrough!!!!!!!!!
Good one :D! Yes, I suppose now that Honda has recouped a lot of its investment in the R&D of the 5th generation, it's time to further strip things down in the name of profit. I've never really examined a 2022 up close.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good one :D! Yes, I suppose now that Honda has recouped a lot of its investment in the R&D of the 5th generation, it's time to further strip things down in the name of profit. I've never really examined a 2022 up close.
It’s got more black paint on the Elite wheels.
but I can’t justify a $60k Honda with markup

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,884 Posts
Ooh...$60k in U.S, dollars! That's about $72.5K here, and our dollar is doing very well compared to the past few years! No car is worth that kind of money.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts