Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the forums here (although I've been poking around this forum for almost a year now).

Over next 6 months- 1 year I will be looking into purchasing 05-10 Used Oddy for my family. We currently have a Mazda MPV which has been great/reliable and served us extremely well past 5+ years. It has also been a great car to take most of the abuse associated with having 4 children.....and a wife. :)

Anyways, I noticed new model came out (which I think is extremely ugly) and I'm hoping that many people will jump on the band wagon and prices for outgoing model will go down.

So as anything, I like to do my research EARLY. Since I'm pretty anal, I like to find out as much as possible before a purchase (especially a big purchase like a car).

I'm basically looking for an "all in one" guide to 05-10 Oddy.

Thanks everyone in advance for contributing.

When purchasing - anything I should look out for? Of course I will not purchase ANY used vehicle without maintenance/service records, but what else would you guys recommend to look out for/be aware of. I know that no matter how perfect the car is(which there is none of course)...there is always something.

Reliability - How would you rate Oddysey in reliability department. What are some of the common issues to look out for and expect when buying this vehicle. Please keep in mind that this vehicle will most likely serve my family until it dies or it no longer makes sense to own it. I'm a keeper so durability/reliability and long life are VERY important.

Model - Which model would you recommend most? I have a good idea which model offers which options. My main concern is "Simplicity". My MPV is basic (no power anything) and I actually like it. I would like power windows/doors (which all oddys posses) but to me "less is more" Less crap there is in the car, less chances things will go wrong. For example, I'm VERY hesitant on getting power sliding doors, BUT if you can assure me I have nothing to worry about I wouldn't mind considering anything but base model with manual sliding doors.

Maintenance/Service - how much does it cost to maintain these cars with 50-60k miles on them. Any major services that I will need to do within 5 years. Anything outside of Oil changes/tires/brakes I need to worry about?

Easy to work on - I do all of my own service and fixing (unless unable to of course). How easy are these cars to work on?

Best/worst year. What would you say is the best bet/worst bet. Again keep in mind this vehicle will be long term, and when I say long term I mean AT LEAST 10 years +.

Interior - I currently have cloth in my MPV and it has done a great job. HOWEVER when I test drove a cloth Oddy few years back I noticed cloth was extremely thin. I would probably shoot for leather....but of course that would put me into automatic door model. Did Honda ever make Oddy with "Leatherrete" or Vinyl. I find that this is the best/most durable and inexpensive option out there (as leather wears out and is expensive to buy/replace). My moms BMW X5 has "leatherrete" and it has been GREAT compare to real leather. I will most likly buy Weathertech matts for the entire van when I purchase, any other makers I shoudl be aware of?

Any advice from you guys would really be appreciated. Thanks a LOT!

·
Registered
786 Posts
First of all, familiarize yourself with the PAX issue, even if it is only to know how to spot it to avoid. Since "less is more" I am guessing all Tourings would be out anyway. When it comes to leatherette, in 2007 the third row seat became vinyl. I know its not the answer you were looking for but I think thats about it. There were power steering problems, motor mount issues, and the 2005 models especially had problems with the power doors, but I don't think you should rule out a model based on the power doors. In 2007 Honda upgraded the transmission which apparently is a big thing, but my 06 doesn't seem to have too much of a problem, and it gets better mileage;) . Also in 07, the VCM (on all models with leather) switched to having the system switch from 3 to 4 to six cylinders, rather than just 3 or 6 like the 05 & 06. MP3 and Ipod capability also came in 2007 if your concerned about that. You sound like the kind of guy who isn't going to care much about color, but I would suggest (from your comment about abuse) that you stay away from the ivory interior, which came on all red, white, gold and on some of the other colors, as it will show dirt a lot (I spent 8 months looking for the color I wanted without Ivory). I don't really know enough about this, but it might be something you'd be interested in if you do your own maintance, but in 07 Honda added a Tire Pressure Monitoring System, which may make it harder to do work with, (I know the PAX System did). If I think of more I will add later and if you want me to explain or elaborate let me know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts