Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our SRS warning light won't turn off on a 2008 odyssey. I've read through several posts on MES connectors, data links, paper clips, shorting wires, etc - unfortunately I'm not savvy at this kind of thing and more confused than anything.

Looking under the drivers side I found 2 yellow connectors that were unconnected -- connected them and bingo the light turned off when I turned on the ignition. Did I really fix the SRS issue? Will the airbags deploy properly? (we have 4 kids)

They seem so well connected, I find it hard to believe they simply came unconnected somehow before. If this is the "MES" connector? then I've read tricks on paper clips and wiring switches but never found something that said to simply plug it into its other end. If any insight could be given into if this truly fixed our SRS light issue (keeping them plugged in permanently), with airbags still functional, would be appreciated -- will save me $85 for the dealer diagnostics I have lined up in a few days.

·
Super Moderator
1,219 Posts
Here is the reset procedure from the service manual:

CLEAR THE DTC MEMORY WITH THE MANUAL MODE

Special Tools Required
SCS Service Connector 07PAZ-001010A

To clear the DTC(s) from the SRS unit, use the HDS or the following procedure.
1. Make sure the ignition switch is OFF.
2. Connect the SCS service connector (A) to the yellow MES 2P connector (B). Do not use a jumper wire.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
4. The SRS indicator will come on for about 6 seconds, and then go off. Remove the SCS service connector from the MES connector (2P) within 4 seconds after the indicator goes off.
5. The SRS indicator will come on again. Reconnect the SCS service connector to the MES connector (2P) within 4 seconds after the indicator comes on.
6. When the SRS indicator goes off, remove the SCS service connector from the MES connector (2P) within 4 seconds.
7. The SRS indicator blinks two times, indicating that the memory has been cleared.
8. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and wait for 10 seconds.
9. Turn the ignition switch ON (II) again. If the SRS indicator comes on for 6 seconds, and then goes off, the system is OK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you tell me -- what I not supposed to plug in the two connectors above? Is one of these two ends the MES 2P connector? I have seen this instructions before but without pictures I am not sure what is what.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
When reading the posts on this forum remember which generation and year of vehicle you are working on. The SRS reset procedures change from year to year. The majority of the srs problems reported here have been the gen 2 vans and even the 99-04 there are changes. When posting procedures from service manuals please state the year the service manual is for. Jumpering wires without knowing for sure the procedure is correct for your year can lead to disaster making that $85 service charge at the dealer seem cheap.

·
Super Moderator
1,219 Posts
7ofus:

The yellow connector in your picture is not the MES 2 pin connector. That connector is supposed to be connected, as kcthedj confirmed.

See attached picture from the 2005-2010 service manual showing the location of the MES 2 pin connector.

MES 2P Connector.JPG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all -- I will assume whatever it was I reconnected was the solution because it does seemed to have resolved the indicator issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts