Honda Odyssey Forum banner

What was actually done to your transmission under the April 2004 recall, '02-'04's?

• Oil Jet Kit Installed

Votes: 171 86.4%
  • Transmission Replaced

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Inspection Only

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Don't know

Votes: 9 4.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's see if we can capture the actual results of the '02-'04 Transmission recall.

Once Honda has serviced your vehicle under the transmission recall publicized in April 2004, please record the results of Honda's work (i.e. tranni replaced, oil jet kit installed, or inspection only).

Since Honda plans to recall the older vehicles first and then work on the newer Odys, this poll may help the owners of later models predict what to expect. It will also be good to see how many transmissions are actually being replaced.

If your transmission was replaced, please post your vehicle's mileage and brief information about how it was most commonly driven.

·
Registered
96 Posts
According the the Honda TSB, Honda dealers are not to do any "inspection only's".

If the vehicle has less than 15k miles they get a oil jet, but no inspection.

More than 15k they get an inspection and it is determined if they need a transmission(I'm figuring not many) or a oil jet.

Either way everyone gets a oil jet. If they get a new transmission, the modification is integrated.
Just my 0.02

That being said, I'll be sure to add my results to the poll.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2002 Evergreen Pearl EX-L
Purchased 3/18/2002.
Owned 775 days.
69920 miles to date.
------------------------------
90.22 avg miles driven per day.
2796.8 avg miles driven per month.
34960 avg miles driven per year.
------------------------------
30080 miles remaining on HondaCare 5/100 Warranty.
35 months remaining on HondaCare 5/100 Warranty. Yeah Right. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 2002 Ody is going in next week for regular service. At that time, the dealer will do the inspection. Since they haven't received additional oil jets as of last Thursday, they may just do the inspection and have me come back for the oil jet. Bummer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok mine is Silver 2002 EXL-RES Ody with 33838 mile as per dealership records. I did not received the recall letter, but went in to check for any recalls on this vehicle since I bought it used. (Actually I went in for that timing belt one, but my ody dose’t needs that)

They found only this one. Dropped at 8 am at concord, CA and picked at 12pm. I ask the tech what they did , "we inspected the gear system (from some hole) found nothing wrong. Then we installed the jet."(Now I have 240hp jet engine in my ody ya hooo ;) "

·
Registered
63 Posts
We took our 2002 in for it's 52,500 (?) checkup and recall and they've had it for two days now. Looks like a new (refurb) transmission in the works. Our "ring" was discolored. Got a rental Dodge Ram Extended Cab. Talk about a GAS HOG! Will post results when they're in. So far we're very pleased with the servicing dealer (just switched last service interval). Talks to me like an educated Honda owner and is pleasant to deal with.

We love our van, we miss our van! The truck has been nice for hauling mulch and landscaping rock and a trip to the dump though!:D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Had a new "remanufactured" transmission put in yesterday. The dealer had the car exactly three days. It still drives like a dream. I don't notice a difference. Of course I wasn't having problems before I took it in.:)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
cminahan said:
Had a new "remanufactured" transmission put in yesterday. The dealer had the car exactly three days. It still drives like a dream. I don't notice a difference. Of course I wasn't having problems before I took it in.:)
Southern Indiana - my geography is not great, I know that Northern and Central Indiana are pretty flat but doesn't S. Indiana get a little hilly? Do you tow at all? Are you inclined, like me, to encourage your transmission into locked up 5th or do you just drive it? How many miles on your Odyssey?

·
Registered
63 Posts
The description of this area of Southern Indiana that I prefer is "undulating roads". Our driveway is very steep as our house is on a hill so the tranny gets lots of workout everyday. We do not have anything to tow, but we load it up with all the kid and dog stuff and drive all over the place. We have about 53,500 miles on it and we've had it just over 2 years.

·
Registered
55 Posts
We had ours in the shop today and they put in an Oil Kit. Our 2002 has 61000 miles on it.

Earlier when I called for a status update the tech said they hadn't heard back yet. Apparently they use a digital camera inserted into tranny to take the pictures. These are then sent to American Honda for them to make the evaluation instead of the local mechanic. At least that is what I was told.

I guess it's more cost effective and consistant if they have just a few people trained on the diagnostic portion rather then training a 1000 mechanics.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just had a new transmission installed in the '02 Ody today. I took it in last Monday and they checked the inside of the tranny w/ a camera. The service guy mentioned that they grade every recall transmission on a scale of 1-5, w/ 5 being the worst. Ours was a 5.

It took 1 week to order the new (remanu) tranny and about 6 hours to install it. I drove it about 40 miles today and the whining noise that had developed over the last 6 months was gone. The old tranny was starting to slip fairly frequently (i.e. daily) and that is fixed.

I truly hope that the "oil jet" does fix the problem permanently. I currently have 46k on the van and planned to keep it until it dies! Outside the tranny issue, it's been a great vehicle.

BTW, the service rep stated that no "break-in" period was required, although I'm still going to baby it for a while.

David

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got my '02 Odyssey (62000 miles) back today after a tranny replacement. Meltdown started a week ago in heavy slow traffic, car revved but acted like it was in neutral after stopping for an accident (car was in drive). After shifting in and out of 'N' a couple of times the transmission engaged but the thing was real squirrelly the rest of the night.

Limped to work the next morning & called dealer (Wyler in Florence, KY just south of Cincinnati). They said bring it in ASAP & there would be a free rental car waiting. The next morning (Thursday 5/13) I got a call informing me that the tranny was beyond bad - the worst they had seen. Rebuilt tranny ordered - arrived Monday, 5/17. Dealer added the oil jet kit before mounting tranny onto car. Picked up car today - shifting smoother and more deliberate than I can remember in a long time. Whole process relatively hassle-free.

·
Registered
55 Posts
DElliott said:
I took it in last Monday and they checked the inside of the tranny w/ a camera. The service guy mentioned that they grade every recall transmission on a scale of 1-5, w/ 5 being the worst. Ours was a 5.

It took 1 week to order the new (remanu) tranny and about 6 hours to install it.
David
Out of curiosity, did the dealer let you take the van home for a week or did they say "don't drive it" and give you a loaner for a week?

·
Registered
26 Posts
twolazydogs,

we discussed the drivability of the van and they said it was safe. The reality was that we have been driving it for 6 months w/ the whining noise so from my perspective I thought 1 more week isn't going to make any difference.

The service rep mentioned that if I wanted a rental, I would have to pursue it w/ Honda. I considered calling Honda especially for the day or two it would take to actually make the replacement but it seemed too much of a hassle. In the end, it all worked out.

David

·
Registered
730 Posts
For those who got new transmissions, what type of warranty did you get with the new tranny?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
DElliott said:
twolazydogs,
...The service rep mentioned that if I wanted a rental, I would have to pursue it w/ Honda. I considered calling Honda especially for the day or two it would take to actually make the replacement but it seemed too much of a hassle. In the end, it all worked out.
David
I'f mine requires a transmission replacement, rather than a rental, I'll push for free oil filters, wiper inserts, and tranny fluid:). I bet you could snag 3 or 4 filters for each day the van is in the shop so they'd save the rental charge.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As of today, the poll results are:
21 Ody's have had the transmission recall work performed.
15 (71%) had the oil jet kit installed.
6 (29%) had the transmission replaced.

Thanks to all who added to the poll and messages.

I suspect we will see a higher percentage of transmission replacements with the earlier recall service work because older vehicles are being recalled first. To see if the results of the recall change over time, I'm plannning to summarize the poll results roughly monthly.

Please, if you had the tranny replaced, share your vehicle's mileage and typical driving style (i.e. conservative, sporty, aggressive) and most common terrain (i.e. flat, small hills, rolling hills, mountainous).

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
02 model, 26K miles, oil jet only. Generally conservative driving, generally flat roads, with a few trips through the mountains but never towing anything.

The other Ody that was in there while mine was there was an 02 with 42K miles--oil jet only.

Both her gears and mine looked fantastic, no signs of any damage whatsoever.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Had mine done yesterday, oil jet only, they showed me the photo,
looked great. Nice and shiney with no discoloration. They are also doing the rear shim install for the clunking problem.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My recall was done today, 03 Odyssey, ~20k miles, oil kit installed.
I was told that the gears looked fine. I asked to see the photos but I was told that they are not allowed to show them :mad:

Has anyone made a similar experience? Not that I don't trust my dealer (usually they are doing a good job) but it seems a little bit odd to me that they don't show the pictures. :confused:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts