Honda Odyssey Forum banner

What was actually done to your transmission under the April 2004 recall, '02-'04's?

• Oil Jet Kit Installed

Votes: 171 86.4%
  • Transmission Replaced

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Inspection Only

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Don't know

Votes: 9 4.5%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,
I had mine done this morning ('02 RES with 18160 miles), dealer installed the oil jet only.
I've already used this van for two trips from Austin to CA, both trips around 9000 miles, rest was from normal in the town driving.
Planning a 3rd trip pretty soon....(again from austin to CA)..feeling much better since the oil jet installed.

·
Registered
730 Posts
STM,
My dealer gave me a copy of the photo without asking. Either they're disregarding corporate policy or your dealer is blowing smoke. I suspect the latter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
03 with 9,400 miles received an oil jet kit today 6/1/2004. The dealer was not concerned that I didn't have the recall notice in hand.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Jet Kit Installed

Only 12800 mi. The tech broke a electrical module fastener but failed to repair/replace or even recognize his error. Of course, they didn't report it to me either.

The service order stated I claimed the rear third light was out (I didn't) and they replaced that too - under warranty.

·
Registered
73 Posts
"I drove it about 40 miles today and the whining noise that had developed over the last 6 months was gone."

I got my recall letter, I have an appt. to have it looked at. I have also had a whining noise since about 30,000 mi. I hope whatever they need to do to the tranny will eliminate the whining!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have 23,000 miles on my 2002 Odyssey. When I took it in to the dealer for the recall, they did the oil jet. That was it. They didn't offer any pictures, and I didn't ask either. It drives the same as it always has. Brian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tranny Recall Details

Details of when I brought mine in:

Date: 5/29/04
Result: Oil Jet Installation
Time to Complete: 4 hours
Overall Experience: Good

Van Details:

Year: 2002
Style: LX
Mods: Heavy duty rear floor cover, plastic seat hole pan, mudguards, roof rack, front deflector, 6-disc in-dash CD, custom plastic truck mats over carpeting (damn kids are messy...)
Use: Hauling two kids, 2 & 4, lead foot wife, occasional hauling of garden and house supplies, lead foot wife, no towing, lead foot wife, has had 7 people in it probably 20 times, did I mention lead foot wife?
Mileage at Service: 62000
Terrain: All flat (between Texas and Florida) except for one trip to Baltimore.
Climate: South Louisiana, hot and muggy, mild winters.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
25,800 miles, jet kit installed. We'll see if the whining noise mine has developed is still there. It occasionally shifts hard when cold, too. Oh well. I won't even bother fighting unless it throws a code.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oil Jet kit / tranny whine

Had the oil jet installed yesterday at 58k. Never had any problems with the tranny. Drove it home and noticed a whine when accelerating. It is not that loud, but it is there. Never noticed it before. I have read quite a few different posts on this noise. Just seems odd I would notice it after the oil jet procedure. Checked fluid,seem ok.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took our '02 in last Thursday for a combined 30k service and tranny recall inspection. Only needed the retrofit kit. All service items were completed in 6 hrs (drop off at 7am, able to pick up at 1pm). The service rep who assisted me stated he had only seen 1 Ody that needed tranny replacing since the recall has begun (San Jose, CA area). He also stated that any tranny that is replaced is actually all new (gears, guts), but they are required to classify it as "re-manufactured" because they use your original casing. Don't know if anyone else has heard the same.... All in all, not too painful of an experience.

·
Registered
34 Posts
2003 EX 18,400 miles
Oil jet installed in about 3 hours at Crest Honda, Nashville.

Went in for pre-vacation service and mentioned the recall. They asked for my card, I said I didn't have it, but they said they'd do it anyway.;)

The very first upshift was rough, but everything else since then (~100miles) has been smooth as before.

·
Registered
69 Posts
2002 EXL

Well, brought mine in today and it is getting a new transmission. My van fits the profile for the new transmission to a "T".

I tow a boat (1800 pounds) locally and a small cargo trailer (1100 pounds) on longer trips. During the long flat highway stretches to Florida I tow in overdrive.

I have all Honda hitch, PS cooler, trans cooler, use prodigy brake controller, and have the Air Lift 1000's, and trans temp guage.

Van has 59,000 miles on it - probably 20,000 towing.

I did notice in the last year that if - while towing especially - the transmission downshifts on an uphill that it would rev up past the shift point, shift suddenly, and come back down. That's really the only thing I noticed from the trans.

The dealer - McGrath in St. Charles, Il. - is giving us a loaner until the trans is changed out. SHould have the van back by Wed. they think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Our 2002 just came from a Desert Honda dealer and test FAILED :confused: and Tranny to be order and should come in within a week or so .

·
Registered
700 Posts
Oil jet kit was installed yesterday. The Ody has 57000 km, but the tranny has 29000 km because it was replaced at 28000 km, under warranty.

As a side note, here is another example of "scams" used by dealers. The service writer called me one hour after I had left the Ody for the day. "Mr. Customer, the tranny oil is very dirty, you are past due for the tranny oil and filter change, normally scheduled for 40000 km".

My answer: "Look up the history on record : the tranny only has 29000 km, you replaced it 18 months ago! The service writer was caught his pants down. He hadn't look the history on his computer.

After I hung up, I tought I should have insisted and demanded a free oil change: "Mr. Dealer, if the oil is supposed to be fine for 40000 km, but you are telling me it is too dirty at 29000 km, then the oil and filter must be bad, and you ought to change both at your expense, because you did it last time!".

This is why I dislike stealers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I received my van back yesterday - a day earlier than they had thought it would be done. The van was washed and cleaned, everything worked fine. I gave them back their loaner. VERY nice people and smooth transaction. McGrath Honda in St. Charles, Il.

Something to note. I inspected the transmission that was put in. All appearances are that it is new. There is not an oil jet kit on it - so I assume that it has the new design in the 2004's that abviate the need for the oil jet.

Everything seems to be fine. Shifting is very smooth and I no longer have the "reving" up that I had when the van would downshift.

Good deal. My trans oil sensor works, all hoses reinstalled properly, trailer wiring (I have electric brakes) was reinstalled properly. I had to put in the radio code - but that is to be expected.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Recieved recall letter on Monday and called dealer to schedule. Took it in on Wednesday to have oil change and recall work done. Van 2002 EX has 24,800 miles on it, they inspected and just installed the oil jet unit. Never had any problem before the recall but I feel better knowing that they took care of the problem. Would not have a problem getting another Ody, I'm simply amazed how well this van rides and handles compared to anything else I've had in the past.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Summary

Over the last 4 weeks, 44 people have added their transmission recall results to this poll. These 44 poll respondents reported 4 transmissions (9%) have been replaced.

Of the 65 total responses since the poll began, 10 transmissions (15%) have been reported as replaced.

Thanks for your contributions to our collective understanding.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts