Honda Odyssey Forum banner

What was actually done to your transmission under the April 2004 recall, '02-'04's?

• Oil Jet Kit Installed

Votes: 171 86.4%
  • Transmission Replaced

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Inspection Only

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Don't know

Votes: 9 4.5%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Brought my van in for recall work yesterday. The dealer installed the oil jet kit. I feel a bit better knowing that the transmission is taken care of and hopefully will not break down.

Incidentally, I haven't gotten the recall notice in the mail yet but the dealer didn't ask me for it when I made the appointment two weeks ago nor when I dropped off the van yesterday.

·
Registered
3 Posts
tranny recall

Took my 2002 EX with 23,660 miles in to Poway Honda this morning at 8:00 a.m.
They installed an oil jet and I had the Odyssey back at noon.
Excellent customer service! My rep was Don Stiritz, phone 858-486-4300, ext.5101

·
Registered
859 Posts
Got mine done today too. In and out in three hours.
First time it's been back to the dealer since I bought it new
in Nov '01.

·
Registered
73 Posts
"Mine developed a whine before the kit was installed, and it still whines. Still shifts kinda hard when cold, too."

There seem to be more and more people with a pesky "whining" noise. It seems to be a mystery, my dealer can't tell me what it is, or won't for some reason. I'm thinking mine is in the tranny because when I take it out of gear and rev the engine, no whine! If it was the alternator, water pump, etc. it should still be noticeable. I will have my Ody in for the transmission recall within the next couple of weeks. I hope whatever they do takes care of the whining noise too!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just got the oil jet installed the other day.

2003 EX with 30K miles. Normal mix of driving. Had no recall notice. The dealer just checked on his computer and said, "When do you want to do it?"

Never had any issues with the Transmission but I have piece of mind now.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Tranny replaced in March 04. Oil jet installed two days ago. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
transmission recall

Got the oil jet kit installed on my 2002 EX with 28 000 km. They said they even took a picture of the second gear.

Hi all, Denis

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Just the oil jet kit for our Ody also. They did the rear brake clunk, front strut click, and spoiler weatherstrip TSBs also.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Oil jet kit installed today.

'02 Ody with 61k miles, mostly highway.

Have tranny cooler and trailer hitch. No towing with the Ody but have carried bikes a couple times.

Dealer made available loaner car upon asking for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oil jet kit only. '02 EX with 21K miles during mostly city driving. Was not told about or offered to look at any pictures of my 2nd gear...didn't ask either.

Dealer also did some fuse label recall. Funny the invoice says
"PRODUCT UPDATE CAMPAIGN: ODYSSEY FUSE BOX
LABEL - STICK A NEW LABEL OVER THE EXISTING LABEL ON THE PASSENGER S (it stopped there)"

I thought that was a fairly technical explanation :)

When I asked the service manager about this he said it was no big deal and it doesn't sound like by reading the invoice either.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2003 LX with 22.5K miles . I got the same line from the dealer (Power Honda in Valencia, CA) about not being able to show me the picture. Only the service guy gave me enough of a story to make me believe that he was being disingenuous. He said that their insurance wouldn't let me out on their floor (ok, I could buy that) and that there wasn't any way to print the picture (seeing as others here have, I didn't believe him). He also said he had asked his mananger who also called the district manager to ask what they could do. Of course neither he or his manger, nor the district manager called me or left me a note when I picked up the car. Then when I picked up the car I asked another service manager who was there and he proceeded to tell me that the recall had been changed and that some cars didn't have to have pictures taken. I wish I had my copy of the recall notice from Honda with me but I had left it at work. Doesn't engender a whole lot of confidence in Power Honda. Now maybe most of their customers don't want to know anything, but I do. I even told the first guy that I want more information than most people and that they are the extensions of my hands and eyes into my car. I got the distinct impression both of they were going to tell me anything to get rid of me, true or not. I wouldn't trust these guys as far as I could throw them. (I wonder if they ever think why I almost never use car dealers for my scheduled services. I have a private mechanic who is straight up with me, is honest, doesn't try to feed me a load of manure so he gets my work).

Juding from the way there were dodging me, I wouldn't even be certain that the work was done correctly (or even if they did any work at all). Anyone know where I would look on the transmission to see if there is a oil jet kit installed? Can I follow the tranny oil return from the radiator to this oil jet? would I need to be under the car to see this or can I see it from the top?

·
Registered
39 Posts
'03 with very low mileage so no digital photos were required, just install the oil jet kit. I made an appointment, and was in and out in just under two hours.

Having reviewed the Honda Service Bulletin , I decided to thoroughly clean the top of the transmission around the ATF filler bolt, countershaft speed sensor, and ATF filter lines prior to bringing the van to the dealer. My reasoning was that this step of the repair procedure was the one most likely to be overlooked by a service technician, and I wanted to reduce the chances of dirt getting into the transmission when the oil jet kit was installed.

I inspected the work when I got home, and with the exception of one vacuum hose that was not seated completely, and the intake manifold cover bolts torqued down excessively tight, they did a good job.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks bccarter for the great pic of the install, I'm going to look at my oil jet install when I get home from work. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
No recall service done on Weekends but got a loaner car?

My dealer said he won't do recall service on weekdays but offered me a loaner car to work.

My 02 is at 14,400K . My usage of the Ody is very limited and I never had any problem with it so far except the annoying tailgate door ajar lights coming on often.

I will try to open a new link on that problem if its only me or its very common to ody.

I scheduled it for Friday Sep 3rd. Will post my experience and results here.

Thanks and its a great forum, very very helful to Ody owners.

SStar.

·
Registered
13,972 Posts
I'm planning to drop ours off the night before. (scheduled next Friday). I think one of the reasons the work has taken so long for some is waiting for the area to cool down. I think it's worth it so they get a cold engine.

·
Registered
512 Posts
"Originally posted by zorba
I hope whatever they need to do to the tranny will eliminate the whining! "

adam1991 said:
I really don't think that installing the oil jet will cause this board to shut down.
:joy: :king:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'd like to see the pic of second gear since it would help me to understand the issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
oil jet installed

My '03 Odyssey has about 10k miles, and I had it in today for the recall. They installed the oil jet kit. So far so good.

Rental: I got the runaround from the dealer on the rental. I was first told that they don't do rentals. I contacted American Honda Motors and a rental was authorized with my dealer, ultimately to be paid by AHM. When I called the dealer again to see what kind of rental would be provided, I was told to "just come in." I called the rental agency and was told it would probably be a Cavalier or Sunfire. I told them this was not satisfactory. I called AHM again and voiced that I purchased an Odyssey for its size and safety, and I would not put my family in a compact car. They agreed that I should get a comparable vehicle. In the end, I got a Grand Am ("Standard" group). All of the minivans were taken by back-to-college people.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts