Honda Odyssey Forum banner

What was actually done to your transmission under the April 2004 recall, '02-'04's?

• Oil Jet Kit Installed

Votes: 170 86.7%
  • Transmission Replaced

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • Inspection Only

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Don't know

Votes: 8 4.1%

• Total voters
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
04 w/60,800 miles trans recall by VIN Number

Ran my VIN Number and it comes up as one of those in the recall, todays date is 8-13-2011 it's a 2004 with 60,800 miles. I've read the post and my question is? How do they inspect the gear to decide if a transmission replacement is required or not. And if they guess wrong, install the oiling kit and the transmission goes out in say 50,000 more miles or less, they are in the clear? What if it goes out in say 10 to 25,000 miles after the kit install? How do I know they even inspected the gear or not and it just a visiable inspection, they can't feel for wear or even see the wear points, only if it is so bad it has turned Blue from the extra heat. I thinK they should warrantie the trans for 100,000 period with or without the kit, no questions asked. What do you guys suggest? How will I know the transmission is OK? Just Pray??;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
After inspection, they installed an oil jet kit in my 02. It was done in 05. I now have 150,000 mi. on it and have not had any problems other than having to replace an ATF sensor about a month ago, it monitors the temp. of the ATF.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know I am digging this up from the dead...But I recently inherited an 02 odyssey from my mother and it had the oil jet kit installed in 04.

The van currently has 245k miles on it. ORIGINAL TRANS....

Seems like this Recall worked..

·
Registered
13,593 Posts
I have an 02 with about the same miles and had the oil jet installed in 04 (when I bought it used with 36k)
I also attribute longevity to regular fluid changes. In my case a normal drain & fill every 15k or so.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an 02 with about the same miles and had the oil jet installed in 04 (when I bought it used with 36k)
I also attribute longevity to regular fluid changes. In my case a normal drain & fill every 15k or so.
nice! What all maintenance have you done along the way?

·
Registered
13,593 Posts
Almost no repairs, an idle air control valve before 100k & a main relay after 200k. Two timing belt services (with the spark plugs) Oil changes when the light comes on and the aforementioned trans fluid changes. Went to the dealer until I moved & my daughter married a mechanic. The dealer would want me to do a "service" for $125. and I would have them do an oil change & trans D&F for about the same money. It needs new axle boots and other front end stuff now. Didn't even replace the rotors until the last brake job.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Similar experience here. I need both sides axle boots and have done the lower control arms (they come with bushings and ball joints).

61 - 68 of 68 Posts