Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a bit over 203,000 on our 99 EX--last service a few months ago included replacing all of the engine mounts (ouch). Next service on the horizon will include the 2nd timing belt/water pump replacement (another big ouch). Aside from the rattles and clunks, miscellaneous scratches, it has been pretty reliable. Catalytic converter was replaced at 140K. The original engine and transmission are still ticking, aside from some mostly cosmetic fluid leaks, no real issues.

We are not too sure if we are wise to continue to put money into the van and are wondering at what point we should put the van out to pasture. It is being used by one of our older college aged kids--the rattles (or the occasional blown solenoids) do not seem to bother him.

We would like to hear opinions from other OdyClub members if we should keep the van (and do the big buck service at 210K mi) or not.

Thank you in advance!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I say keep it. Think about the timing belt service as 2 or 3 months of car payments. Maybe start a tranny fund.

·
Registered
665 Posts
As long as there is no structual issues like heavy rust, by all means, go ahead and keep running it. I can easily see this van lasting into the 300k's and its probably cheaper to keep it running than to buy a new one considering your repairs and maintenance over the next 100k would max out at 4k-5k add1k if you factor in tires and brakes. A new van is 20k.

The only way I'd make the switch is if I can find one that gets me over 30mpg average which would be car payment money when compared to 20mpg average with the savings of more than 6k over that 100k which brings your newer 20k van down to a more reasonable 10k when factoring maintenance and repairs.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies!! Never thought to look at the repairs in terms of car payments. Aside from 2 relatively low speed rear enders which were repaired, there has been no structural problems--it has lived its entire life in California, so no rust.

We also have an 06 EXL that just had its first timing belt/waterpump replacement, so there is no need for us to look for another van to replace the 99.

So it looks like from a cost versus benefit standpoint, it would be more economical for us to do the timing belt/water pump and hold onto the 99 for a bit longer.

Thank you again!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts