Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I got a 03 odyssey exl with approx 105,000 miles. I did do a search and went thru the 19 pages of results with the search term, "reverse" but found nothing identical to my situation.

Went to the grocery store [approx 15 min drive] tonight pulled into a stall head first [level ground], put it in "park", pressed parking brake... then a few seconds later I felt the van rock forward as if the parking brake was released. Rechecked the parking brake to see if it was still locked and it was. This alarmed me for a bit but couldnt really see anything wrong at the time [maybe this was the normal "rock" that you would get when activating / deactivating the parking brake]. Not more then 10 mins in the store, I get back to the van, start it up and put it into reverse and it wouldnt budge! put it back in park then back in reverse and nothing. I also noticed that when I shifted into reverse, it was indicated on my instrument panel but its as if it never engaged in the tranny and that there was "free play" in the shifter [not snug in reverse], like it would too easily shift in park or neutral. No other warning lights in the dash. Tried in "D" and it would go but I couldnt leave the lot until the car infront of me left. So I put it back in park [van still running] luckily within 5 mins, the guy infront of me leaves and Im able to get out by going forward. Now, Im somewhat worried that it might be the tranny going out. On the way home, I stopped at 3 different locations to try and replicate this but could not. Reverse would engage. Now, it makes me question myself if I didnt press the gas hard enough in the parking lot to reverse, but highly unlikely.

side question, Ive noticed before that about 50% of the time, there would be minimal "free play" [but not to the point of accidentally switching gears if my hand should brush against it] in the gear selector/stick/shifter in "D" and other times it would be snug. Is this normal? Tonights excessive "free play" in reverse was a WTF.

Could the problem be in the gear selector? Anyone else had problems with this part? If its the tranny, I can sleep easy as Im covered under Jaspers 3year/100k warranty as Im just about at the 1 yr mark.

any input is appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looking at the transmission troubleshooting index it could be a number of things. Looks like the first thing to check is the shift fork shaft, which I believe is internal.
5-speed-TSI.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, GLP. If this continues to be a problem, Ill print this out and bring it in to my mechanic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts