Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a 08 EX-L, and an issue just started happening where my reverse lights stay on all the time. My rear view camera is also on but turns off when the vehicle is turned off. I searched on Google countless times for this and I've only seen that it could be a problem with the reverse light switch. Where would that be located on this year ody? Would it be on the gear stock, on the transmission?

If any of you guys have an idea, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Do you think this is a problem with the reverse light switch? Or something else?

· Registered
1,813 Posts
Judging by this diagram, there does not appear to be anything called "reverse light switch".
So, your backup cam stays on but it turns off if ignition turns off, but reverse light does NOT turn off even when ignition is off?
What about if you pull fuse #21? Then does the light turn off? It seem odd that it stays on if ignition turns off because it does not appear that there is separate circuit going to those lights after ignition.:

· Registered
2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Judging by this diagram, there does not appear to be anything called "reverse light switch".
So, your backup cam stays on but it turns off if ignition turns off, but reverse light does NOT turn off even when ignition is off?
What about if you pull fuse #21? Then does the light turn off? It seem odd that it stays on if ignition turns off because it does not appear that there is separate circuit going to those lights after ignition.:
View attachment 162162
That is correct. However it seems to have fixed itself. This started a couple of days ago, and i unplugged the reverse lights to save the battery and some life on them. I plugged them in today just to test out what you said and sure enough they did not come on when the car was off. The reverse camera also wasn't on. I even took it for a drive and it was normal. Very odd.

· Registered
2010 EX-L 255,000 2010 Touring 125,000
394 Posts
The transmission range switch is your problem.

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,291 Posts
Reactions: Holup

· Registered
3,179 Posts
It may only need adjustment, since your problem is only sporadic.

· Registered
2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am GUESSING in this case then there is water intrusion near driver's side fuse box as that is only MICU (other than under hood fuse box) that the back up light circuit goes through.
I'll definitely get it checked out. On the inside i don't feel any water, but I'll get it professionally checked out.

· Registered
2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I watched a YouTube video that gave me an idea to clean the roof rails and sure enough underneath all that weatherstripping was a whole bunch of dirt, dust, pebbles and leaves. I cleaned it out as best as I could. So I have an idea that maybe there is a clog somewhere in the drains from the roof to the ground.

I poured a bottle of water down to see how fast it would go down, the passenger side went down really quickly but the driver side (where the micu in question is) went very slow. I'm still taking it to a professional but it could lead to the problem.

· Registered
2010 EX-L
5,467 Posts
More likely is that the weld seams in those channels have micro cracks and are leaking. Best to clean it thoroughly and apply silicone sealant the entire length on both sides.

· Registered
2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More likely is that the weld seams in those channels have micro cracks and are leaking. Best to clean it thoroughly and apply silicone sealant the entire length on both sides.
Thank you for that information. I will let the person I take it to know that. I'm glad I'm getting somewhere close to the issue, if it is this. It's been raining pretty much for 3 weeks now, and for one of them this issue has occured.

· Registered
2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So my mechanic called me today and told me that the relay was bad on the drivers side micu, and i have to replace the entire unit. He says that the micu is sealed and cannot tell me if water got into it or not.

I called again for more clarification, I was told no water has gotten into the area, wires aren't corroded whatsoever. He suspects humidity and age to be a factor.

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,291 Posts
Issues related to the MICU are almost always caused by water.

· Registered
2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I 100% understand, he told me there's no water in the area and the wires aren't corroded. He told me that a relay was stuck open and he would replace the relay if the micu wasn't sealed.

· Registered
2010 EX-L
5,467 Posts
I 100% understand, he told me there's no water in the area and the wires aren't corroded. He told me that a relay was stuck open and he would replace the relay if the micu wasn't sealed.
Sadly, I don’t think that is going to solve your problem. You should clean and seal the roof seam welds. Water intrusion is your issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.