Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think either Steve or Harry, our electronic gurus, could probably answer this question. Here goes - currently my steering wheel radio controls are tuned to work with my SONY receiver. I just swapped to resistors to match the values used for the SONY. It works...sort of. The volume down is perfect but the volume up and and track up are switched. I was wondering if there was device (or resistor) that could reverse the values being sent when a button is pressed. Thanks in advance.

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have not seen the inside of the steering wheel control, but I think it's just regular button connected in series with resistor to ground. Where are the resistors that you swap connected to? Do you have a picture of it?

To modify the resistance value sent by a button, you need to change it's resistor.

By the way, I am not an electronic guru like Steve, I am just a curious person who likes to take things apart and learn as I am doing it.

-Harry

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the resistors are connected to a little circuit board. The way they have it is the circuit interconnected. So that means both the volume up and track up have to use a combination of two different resistors. So if I change one - it will change another value. I've thought up of every combination for the 3 resistors to try to match it up with the proper value/button for the SONY. But the way the circuit is layed out there's no way to get that to work. So I need something that can swap the values of the button being pressed.

...I am just a curious person who likes to take things apart and learn as I am doing it.

Hey, I was like that too as a child. I used to break (cough) I mean take apart all my toys. Unfortunately, I never had a clue how to put them back together. Too bad they never made a Helm manual for the Transformers toys.

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sony Remote Values

Vol + (16.91 k)
Vol - (23.65 k)
Track + ( 8.86k)

I'm pretty you won't find a workable combination or resistors. But go ahead if you think you can come up with something.

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
276 Posts
What's the value when no buttons are pressed?
You said that Vol Up and Track buttons use a combination of resistors, you may be able to cut the trace and make each uses it's own resistor.

-Harry

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hgani:
What's the value when no buttons are pressed?
You said that Vol Up and Track buttons use a combination of resistors, you may be able to cut the trace and make each uses it's own resistor.

-Harry
</font>
I can't remember. But I thought about blocking the circuit like you said but based on how the circuit board's layed out it doesn't seem possible. Unless if there's a way I can directly bridge it from the resistor to the button. I don't know - take a look at the circuit. Tonight I'll take out mine and tell you what resistor I replaced them with.

-Nestor

·
Registered
154 Posts
I really haven't looked at this problem closely, but I think the simplest solution would be to disable the circuit where the vol up and seek up switches connnect to the resistors (possibly by scratching a break in the printed circuit) and solder jumpers to cross connect them.

------------------
Lorax
'01 SS EX-Navi
Leather Interior, Wings West Kit and lots of other mods.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Okay, I've taken apart the steering wheel control and I've looked at the E.T.M., I now know how Honda's steering wheel control works.

Can either one of you tell me what is the value of the resistance of the sony remote when no button is pressed? It's necessary to calculate the resistors' value replacement for the steering wheel remote.

-Harry

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Harry,

I checked out the circuit board and I saw that I put 8.2k on each button. This is how the resistors add up on for the SONY.

Volume up button: Uses 1 resistor (8k)
But tells the Sony to Track up.

Track up button: Uses 2 resistors (8+8=16k)
Tells the Sony to Volume up.

Volume down: Uses 3 resistors (8+8+8=24K)
This is perfect.

I'm about to check the Helm manual for the Honda values. Hold on.

-nemogira

·
Registered
276 Posts
There are 4 resistors on the steering wheel control PCB, 3.6k Ohm, 100 Ohm, 270 Ohm and 620 Ohm:
3.6k Ohm - resistance when no buttons are pressed
97 Ohm - Vol. down : 1 / (1/3600 + 1/100)
335 Ohm - Vol. up : 1 / (1/3600 + 1/(100+270))
776 Ohm - Seek : 1 / (1/3600 + 1/(100+270+620))

Did you replace the 3.6k Ohm resistor with a different value?

-Harry

·
Registered
276 Posts
You said Vol. Down is okay, don't you mean that Vol. Up instead? Because if you put 8k resistors and remove the 3.6k you'll have 8k with Vol. Down, 16k with Vo. Up and 24k with Audio/Ch.

-Harry

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You said Vol. Down is okay, don't you mean that Vol. Up instead? Because if you put 8k resistors and remove the 3.6k you'll have 8k with Vol. Down, 16k with Vo. Up and 24k with Audio/Ch.

-Harry
</font>
No I'm very sure volume down works the way it should.

-Nestor

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you look at the ETM diagram, it shows that Vol. Down is connected only by 1 resistor while Vol. Up is connected by another resistor and the resistor for Vol. Down and the Seek is connected by yet another resistor and since they are connected in series, then the value is just and addition on the chain.

-Harry

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine is on Stereo Sound System above Honda Accessories Units on page 150-1, your page number maybe different.

-Harry
</font>
Okay I see it but it doesn't indicate the values. So you actually measured the values when the buttons were pressed? Also, on the circuit board can you see the values printed on the board itself?

-Nestor

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yes, the values are printed on the circuit board and I measured with DMM and also calculate in Excel to confirm.

-Harry

|--100------------------|
| |
|--270-------620----| 3.6k
| | | |
V.D V.U. S.U |
| | | |
-------------------------

[This message has been edited by hgani (edited 06-12-2001).]

1 - 20 of 66 Posts