Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice, but...

I was expecting a different engine (maybe I was expecting too much). At least the Touring model has a 6-speed tranny now, although it's kind of expensive IMO. We're planning on sticking to our '05 EX-L anyway, so I hope something better comes up between now and 2014.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yikes! I know 'appearance' is pretty far down the priority list of the average minivan buyer, but wow, that side profile is ugly!

·
Registered
887 Posts
I don't like the exterior either. But the interior looks pretty cool. I will have to see this in person...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree, the "lightning bolt" window profile & door track make the last third of the van look too busy for my tastes. It tends to look better in darker colors in photos... I'm going to wait until I see it in person for final judgement.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I too not impressed with the exterior. Looks kinda like a Mercedes R class but bigger. Well at least they didn't kill the design like Chrysler and Chevy did by making their vans look like mini ugly suv's.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
gm0ney said:
Yikes! I know 'appearance' is pretty far down the priority list of the average minivan buyer, but wow, that side profile is ugly!
Tell me about it. It looks like they designed the van to the back of the sliding doors and then ran out of ideas so they stuck the rear end on it from another vehicle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes that slider has a big gap and makes it look really bad in the back. The current models at least have a more hidden slider on it. I watched a full review on You Tube and the interior is absolutely awesome. What a good job they did but I think they should have let the Japanese design the outside or a younger designer that knows what looks good cause again the body style is plain ugly. It still looks better than the Chrysler model.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Re: Review of 2011 Odyssey

davedrivesody said:
Good point. If Honda had angled the beltline down about 3 degrees from the A-pillar to the C-pillar, it would have flowed nicely for the length of the van. Maybe it's a weight-saving measure?
Yeah If I'm understanding you right I see what you mean then it would have eased into the qtr end and get rid of the lighting bolt look. I think windows are getting smaller for safety reasons.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Is the V6 new? On the MDX the V6 is supposedly all new but with the same power, so not many people realize that its a brand new engine. I'm sure Honda will begin to consolidate its drivetrain to be more cost effective.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You know, to some degree, it's just a minivan.

Having said that, I chose the Odyssey over the Sienna because of its looks and handling.

But what's up with the back end of the van looking like it was chopped at the sliding doors and pasted together???

Hm, the Sienna definitely wins on the looks for 2011...

·
Registered
786 Posts
traffic002 said:

Having said that, I chose the Odyssey over the Sienna because of its looks and handling.

But what's up with the back end of the van looking like it was chopped at the sliding doors and pasted together???

I still have hope that nissan will save the segment.....

·
Registered
506 Posts
traffic002 said:

Yep, looks and handling and a few of the options on the Touring were why we bought our 05 Touring rather than a Sienna way back when.

Now the tables have turned. 2011 Sienna might not handle quite like the Ody but looks nicer and has some better features this time round.

In just over a week we'll have the swap completed.

·
Registered
739 Posts

Yes, they successfully sent all those Nissan designers from the 1990s over to Honda, and now are rolling over laughing... wait that was Saturn.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Cntrtwnltd said:
YIKES!!!! Nissan just released their new Elgrand in Japan, which looks very suspiciously like the Quest Teaser photos and the sticker price is 6,058,500 Yen for the fully loaded AWD. That translates to $71,953.68 US dollars with an expected sales figure of about 1,900 a month. That will never fly in here in North America. But they do say that the minivan stigma does not exist over there and vans are more of a luxury item, but how much can they strip away from an elgrand to make a quest worth half as much? I would rather buy an Odyssey Touring "Elite" and Sienna Limited to make up for each other's short falls with.:D

·
Registered
739 Posts
YIKES!!!! Nissan just released their new Elgrand in Japan, which looks very suspiciously like the Quest Teaser photos and the sticker price is 6,058,500 Yen for the fully loaded AWD. That translates to $71,953.68 US dollars with an expected sales figure of about 1,900 a month. That will never fly in here in North America. But they do say that the minivan stigma does not exist over there and vans are more of a luxury item, but how much can they strip away from an elgrand to make a quest worth half as much? I would rather buy an Odyssey Touring "Elite" and Sienna Limited to make up for each other's short falls with.:D
Well, the 2WD top of the line consumer Elgrand is 4,357,500 yen for a tidier $50k, and AWD adds $3k to that, all the trims above that are specialty vans... the one you speced I believe is like a government vehicle with boardroom seating in the back.

The above include 5% Japanese Tax as well...

There is room to get the king of minis down into Touring Elite territory.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts