Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
There are many many review options on countless other threads. No need to start a thread asking for more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2011 Crossbars for Roof Rack NOT adjustable

I purchased a 2011 Odyssey EXL in mid October. The van is great. Wife loves it. Our only current disappointment has been with the roof rack and cross bars.

These two options are no longer standard and have to be purchased at additional cost. I decided to pay the extra (approx. $400-$450) for these addons to be installed so that we could attach our current Sears cargo pod on top of the van for vacations. However, after about a day of owning the van, I noticed that the cross bars are mounted at a fixed, non-adjustable spacing. Last year's standard crossbars were adjustable. But, this year, there is no place in the online or printed advertising where they tell you that you can't adjust this spacing for the 2011 crossbars. Of course this spacing was NOT the spacing that I needed for my Sears pod.

Neither my dealership (Lindsay Honda, Columbus Ohio) nor Honda American (in California) would offer to make this right with me. Rather, Honda wants to force you into buying one of their cargo pods for an additional $450-$550. What a stinkin' RIP-OFF. I simply refuse to succumb to this form of marketing.

I just wanted to pass along this information to anyone considering the purchase of a Honda Odyssey with this option.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Snobike Mike said:
There are many many review options on countless other threads. No need to start a thread asking for more.
Shouldn't you be hanging out in the Sienna forum now that you have a 2011 model?

Maybe a forum moderator can admonish a poster for breaking the rules (if in fact that was a rule break).

·
Banned
728 Posts
Re: 2011 Crossbars for Roof Rack NOT adjustable

daddyeo said:
I purchased a 2011 Odyssey EXL in mid October. The van is great. Wife loves it. Our only current disappointment has been with the roof rack and cross bars.

These two options are no longer standard and have to be purchased at additional cost. I decided to pay the extra (approx. $400-$450) for these addons to be installed so that we could attach our current Sears cargo pod on top of the van for vacations. However, after about a day of owning the van, I noticed that the cross bars are mounted at a fixed, non-adjustable spacing. Last year's standard crossbars were adjustable. But, this year, there is no place in the online or printed advertising where they tell you that you can't adjust this spacing for the 2011 crossbars. Of course this spacing was NOT the spacing that I needed for my Sears pod.

Neither my dealership (Lindsay Honda, Columbus Ohio) nor Honda American (in California) would offer to make this right with me. Rather, Honda wants to force you into buying one of their cargo pods for an additional $450-$550. What a stinkin' RIP-OFF. I simply refuse to succumb to this form of marketing.

I just wanted to pass along this information to anyone considering the purchase of a Honda Odyssey with this option.
Thanks for the heads up. Did you return the accessories or keep them? Any comment on wind noise from the rack or cross bars?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wind noise doesn't seem to be a problem. At least I haven't noticed anything yet in the 1000 miles I've driven it.

We kept the accessories. There are several after market universal cross bars out there that would appear to fit the Honda rack (i.e. Malone). I haven't bought one yet though.

P.S. Thanks for straightening out our Sienna friend for me. :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Shazzam said:
Shouldn't you be hanging out in the Sienna forum now that you have a 2011 model?

Maybe a forum moderator can admonish a poster for breaking the rules (if in fact that was a rule break).
Huh? So a guy that had an Ody for 6 years but now has a Sienna should be banned?

Furthermore, breaking the rules to you is telling someone who posts about options to the Ody to look at the zillion other posts around here?

Not sure why what brand my wife drives has any bearing on the validity of my posts.

Come to think of it, do you own a 2011? Otherwise you might need to be banned from this section of the Ody forum.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Snobike Mike said:
Huh? So a guy that had an Ody for 6 years but now has a Sienna should be banned?

Furthermore, breaking the rules to you is telling someone who posts about options to the Ody to look at the zillion other posts around here?

Not sure why what brand my wife drives has any bearing on the validity of my posts.

Come to think of it, do you own a 2011? Otherwise you might need to be banned from this section of the Ody forum.
I wasn't talking to you.

·
Banned
728 Posts
daddyeo said:
Wind noise doesn't seem to be a problem. At least I haven't noticed anything yet in the 1000 miles I've driven it.

We kept the accessories. There are several after market universal cross bars out there that would appear to fit the Honda rack (i.e. Malone). I haven't bought one yet though.

P.S. Thanks for straightening out our Sienna friend for me. :)
No prob. He's officially a troll. :)

·
Registered
506 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Snobike Mike said:

Once a member of the Ody family, always a member....Unless Honda comes out with a new design I will also be moving into a Sienna Limited and therefore not be "renewing" my Ody ownership. However I don't plan to leave Ody club for good either. I have also heard others for one reason or the other say they will not buy an Ody again, including the mod I believe....and I can't see him abandoning his post when that day comes, but he can speak for himself on that:D .

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Re: 2011 Crossbars for Roof Rack NOT adjustable

daddyeo said:
Last year's standard crossbars were adjustable. But, this year, there is no place in the online or printed advertising where they tell you that you can't adjust this spacing for the 2011 crossbars. Of course this spacing was NOT the spacing that I needed for my Sears pod.

That is odd. 2nd and 3rd generations of the Ody did not have adjustable crossbars (at least OEM). They were to be installed at fixed points on the rails, according to Honda's install instructions. Although you could ignore the Honda instructions and move the cross bars slightly, they were not really designed to be adjustable....at least not in the sense of other adjustable crossbars I've used on Chrysler, Jeep & Toyota products.

Also, which Sears pod are you using? My Sears Sport 20 has multiple mounting points, and would work with a variety of different crossbar spacing.

By the way....welcome to OC from another Central Ohio Ody Owner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Minor EX-L standard features gripe

I was at the local dealer today having the oil changed on my '05 EX-L, and perused an '11 EX-L while I waited. Lots to like on the new model, include USB and AUX plugins on the stereo, and pushbuttons for the sliding doors.

But I also noticed Honda is whittling away some other features that make my '05 so endearing. Where are the upper glove box and the cubby beneath the passenger seat on the new EX-L? Why is the center cupholder capacity diminished. There appear to be a number of cost-saving measures taken on the new van that are tarnishing my opinion a bit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, to be fair you also have to look at what is standard on the EX-L that wasn't in 2005...or 2007 for that matter (my previous Odyssey.) A whole lot of stuff...XM, backup camera, power liftgate, bluetooth...

On the whole, I thought the quality of materials in my 2007 was very good. So far, I'd say that the quality of materials in my 2011 is superior. We'll see if I continue to feel that way.

Like you, I do see some evidence of cost cutting in minor places. However, there are major areas where the materials are quite clearly more expensive and of higher quality than the previous design.

·
Registered
786 Posts
While we're in the process of comparing 2005 and 2011 EXL's, keep in mind that a 2011 basic EXL starts around the price of a 2005 EXL w/Nav or even a 2005 Touring (34000). So when you look at it that way I would hope to be getting a power liftgate, backup camera and XM. Also, the drawer under the passenger seat did not make it all the way through the model run to 2010 I believe. It was sometime after 06 that I think it was deleted.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Cntrtwnltd said:
Also, the drawer under the passenger seat did not make it all the way through the model run to 2010 I believe. It was sometime after 06 that I think it was deleted.
Funny story about the drawer......A few weeks back my in-laws had to replace the battery in their 04. Of course they had misplaced the card with the radio security code, so I was looking around the van for the dealer sticker. I pulled the drawer out and my MIL looked at me and "what's that?". They owned the thing for 6.5 years, and they never knew it had a drawer under the seat!

·
Banned
728 Posts
Cntrtwnltd said:
While we're in the process of comparing 2005 and 2011 EXL's, keep in mind that a 2011 basic EXL starts around the price of a 2005 EXL w/Nav or even a 2005 Touring (34000). So when you look at it that way I would hope to be getting a power liftgate, backup camera and XM. Also, the drawer under the passenger seat did not make it all the way through the model run to 2010 I believe. It was sometime after 06 that I think it was deleted.
But also keep in mind that everything (including milk and a loaf of bread) costs more than it did in 2005. Breakfast cereal may not have risen in cost that much, but the box is about 20% smaller than it was 5 years ago.

I think the value is still in the new Odyssey, for the features and quality it offers. If we don't want a bit of "de-contenting" (lighter, more use of plastic, etc.) we can expect lower fuel economy and higher purchase costs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the welcome "psu ody fan".

That is interesting that previous versions had fixed position crossbars. I did not realize that. I'm curious what Honda is thinking in going back-and-forth.

The Sears cargo box that I own is about 8yrs old (back when they made 'em white). The sticker on the side has a snail and lists the model as "X-Cargo". The cargo box works great. But, unfortunately, the spacing between the clamps is fixed. So, without some Universal crossbars, it cannot be used with the 2011 Odyssey.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
daddyeo said:
The Sears cargo box that I own is about 8yrs old (back when they made 'em white). The sticker on the side has a snail and lists the model as "X-Cargo". The cargo box works great. But, unfortunately, the spacing between the clamps is fixed. So, without some Universal crossbars, it cannot be used with the 2011 Odyssey.
The updated version of that box from Sears is called the sport 20 or something like that. If you have already shelled out for the Honda roof rails and cross bars, your best bet might be to just buy a new cargo box. I got my Sport 20SV from Sears for under $200, and it does have adjustable mounting points. Then sell your old X-Cargo on craigslist to recoup a few dollars. Interestingly, the crossbar spacing between my Odyssey (the 03 and the 09) and my Pilot is exactly the same. I bought some inexpensive nylon plugs at Lowe's to help cover (waterproof) the unused mouting points on the Sears cargo box.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I got the custom-fitted cargo tray/mat and think it's ideal.

I also looked at the "cargo organizer" and think it's a rip off. It's three collapsable bags with Honda logos on them. There's nothing really special about the way they fit into the trunk or how they use the space, but they cost $150!

We found something similar for about $10 at the container store.

I sort of which they'd bring back the cargo shelf, which let you have layers of trunk space, which I find pretty useful.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts