Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me please.
I had the reving idle with my 1999 honda ody ex. I have 249000 on her and has taken care of me since 2000.
Here is a remedy and problem.
I started with a reving idle on my way home on the freeway. Out of nowhere it start to bog down like it was misfire. I stopped on the side of the road turn off turn on same got to a down hill got home and had a reving idle.

I checked for vacuum leaks. I pulled the air boot off which I replaced because it ripped when taking it off.
Replace the iac valve , PULLED the throttle body off cleaned it thoroughly because the carbon keeps the fly open from build up .then check the iat solenoid it had a lot of fluid it was running rich. The code kept coming back P0505 idle air . I gave up took it to the honda dealer the mechanic who had 30 years experience. It took 1 1/2 Hours to figure it out it was testing him.

IT WAS THE TP MECHANICALLY the tp sensor was telling the fly to close but it would not close all the way every time . so the computer would not have all the gears shifting properly and would work then it would not work. the gear because it would run to lean because the fly was open and it would feel like it would be misfireing or boggy because it is not getting enough fuel or be stuck close and not getting enough air and stalling. I learned the honda has to work perfectly in unison as one unit because one thing messes up and the transmission will mess up its shifting because the syncceonization with the computer and timing causing the shift to mis the time it was suppose to engage. I Hope that this helps with another solution. You must replace the whole throttle body because the TP sensor does not come off the body.

This resolved the reving idle but NOW I HAVE LOST ALL GEARS but reverse. On my test drive. The gears worked before the idle rev it started to not engage 2nd it would flare and I would have to let the rpms come down to idle to tryand get it to activative and grab that gear. After the install of the newthrottlle body on the test drive I started out 1st went to 2nd stopped then went from first to 2nd flared 3rd then went to forth after I got the revs to settle. I turned back, around to go home and I lost 2nd . and at the light I lost 1st. Got first to engage one more time . got caught in a median to turn with no gears but reverse. After 10 minutes of teying. I thought turn the car off then back on, nope then I did it again waiting 10 seconds turned the van on.. Got the gear cross the street and made it home. Can anyone help me with this. I am about to tear all four selonids out clean them and if that dies not do it. Part out or junk it.

OH. and the honda dealer says they dont fix transmissions. THEY JUST REPLACE THEM. So anytime you get an internal code. Honda will say you have to replace the transmission.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I think your idle issue just coincided with your transmission issue. You have to decided for yourself if you want to keep it or not. Around 2K for a new tranny. Rebuilt or reman.

·
Registered
316 Posts
MAF causes surging idle issues.
interesting there are no codes for the transmission or flashing D light.

usually they coincide with transmission failure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is a 1999 it has a map sensor . not a maf I wish it did. The flashing D light is limp mode protecting the transmission. In which would of made it alot easier to diagnose. The original code was 0505. In which I just fixed I took pictures and video of it. I m just not a film editor. So I did not post it because I did not want to confuse people. Or complain that I need to edit it before posting it. I have another video on the rear a/c condenser replacement that you cannot find on youtube

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think your idle issue just coincided with your transmission issue. You have to decided for yourself if you want to keep it or not. Around 2K for a new tranny. Rebuilt or reman.
So you think my transmission is going to quit on me. I do know that my oil pump needs to be rebuilt. So that will be $1200 and then it would be the tranny from there. I love my odyessy. It is a great work truck and I feel safe in the snow and winter months. . With air coditioning good mpg makes. a truck and paying for a she'll on it and no a/c. And the odyessy I can put 12 foot long boards in it, and trucks you can't with out it getting wet. But the truck is sexier. I have been looking for another vehicle I would like and can't find one I like. Honda ridge line maybe.but expensive and payments. I do have a ford explorer 2000 xlt . I just fix the tranny on that one.at least. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
316 Posts
So you think my transmission is going to quit on me. I do know that my oil pump needs to be rebuilt. So that will be $1200 and then it would be the tranny from there. I love my odyessy. It is a great work truck and I feel safe in the snow and winter months. . With air coditioning good mpg makes. a truck and paying for a she'll on it and no a/c. And the odyessy I can put 12 foot long boards in it, and trucks you can't with out it getting wet. But the truck is sexier. I have been looking for another vehicle I would like and can't find one I like. Honda ridge line maybe.but expensive and payments. I do have a ford explorer 2000 xlt . I just fix the tranny on that one.at least. Thanks for your help.
you do seem attached to your gen 2.
they were a very good van except for the transmission, 2002-2004 were the best of the gen 2.
suggest you find a good used one of those and buy it to replace this one.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Have you checked the transmission fluid level?

Have you scanned for new codes since getting the flashing D light?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I Never had the flashing D.. That is someone else. Right now my 1999 has pink full trans oil . and a 0730
Code.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
P0730 is not good. It tells that engine power is getting lost somewhere internally.

Agree with others that it needs rebuilding.

You have to choose between repairing it or moving on.

Reactions: robertwards

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you like Honda ( Despite some real complaints, almost all of us do ) and your budget is limited, then find and buy a 2007 EX. It does not have VCM system, the 07 has the updated transmission and if you get a model with VCM (EXL, Touring) the pre 08's have a less troublesome VCM system. There are MANY threads on here about VCM and you should read up on it. There are also many threads on VCM muzzler devices if you do get a VCM equipped car (EXL and above trim levels). It seems emotion is making you want to keep the 99 Ody, but I would suggest due to the possible multiple problems of your 99 fairly high mileage ODY, that the smart choice is to move on to an 07 (even an 05-06 BUT only if they have receipts for regular transmission service) PS I would not even want to buy an 07 without proof of regular transmission (and all other) service. You have to know when to fold them. Good luck on the process

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you like Honda ( Despite some real complaints, almost all of us do ) and your budget is limited, then find and buy a 2007 EX. It does not have VCM system, the 07 has the updated transmission and if you get a model with VCM (EXL, Touring) the pre 08's have a less troublesome VCM system. There are MANY threads on here about VCM and you should read up on it. There are also many threads on VCM muzzler devices if you do get a VCM equipped car (EXL and above trim levels). It seems emotion is making you want to keep the 99 Ody, but I would suggest due to the possible multiple problems of your 99 fairly high mileage ODY, that the smart choice is to move on to an 07 (even an 05-06 BUT only if they have receipts for regular transmission service) PS I would not even want to buy an 07 without proof of regular transmission (and all other) service. You have to know when to fold them. Good luck on the process
Robert thank you so much for your input. I believe you are right. The reason I like the odyessy I feel safe and capable of gwtting anywhere I need safely. I like to do home repairs so when I run into somingthing like siding a door or recliner it always fits into the odyessy. My second car I picked up was 2000 ford explorer xlt 4wd. With new tires for $400. I just fixed the servo on the 5r55e problem my overdrive was slipping. While I was fixing my honda. Now the rans works great but you hear a like a loose spoke on a tire clatter. That tranny probably going out too. But 400 cant beat it.
So if I get another odyessy they get so much better mileage the man a truck. Trucks. Are more manly looking though. You recommend the 2007. Year . I will look up vcm. I am not familiar with the acroymn.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know it is a bad name but better than others what do you think about the sienna.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh by the way forgot to mention. I have semi new tires on it . plus another set of 4 brand new tires with racing rims. And a set of studs on rims for winter black ice driving. And a 7" navigation system in it. I hope the 2007 has the same tire size. I can get an instant 200 for the vechle or I can part it out. Tuff call.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Robert thank you so much for your input. I believe you are right. The reason I like the odyessy I feel safe and capable of gwtting anywhere I need safely. I like to do home repairs so when I run into somingthing like siding a door or recliner it always fits into the odyessy. My second car I picked up was 2000 ford explorer xlt 4wd. With new tires for $400. I just fixed the servo on the 5r55e problem my overdrive was slipping. While I was fixing my honda. Now the rans works great but you hear a like a loose spoke on a tire clatter. That tranny probably going out too. But 400 cant beat it.
So if I get another odyessy they get so much better mileage the man a truck. Trucks. Are more manly looking though. You recommend the 2007. Year . I will look up vcm. I am not familiar with the acroymn.
VCM stands for " variable cylinder management " system( which shuts down some cylinders to "save gas")--the Ex does not have this and most believe VCM is a troubled and big problem causing system, however there are devices recommeded on here (Muzzlers) that disable the VCM system. I installed one on my 06 EXL and I highly recommend it. There is a search feature on here and you can research these threads. There is a lot to read.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I remember I remember when they first came out. I was hoping it was going to be a great thing. Well I see that is not true. I will read up on that thank you

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Oh by the way forgot to mention. I have semi new tires on it . plus another set of 4 brand new tires with racing rims. And a set of studs on rims for winter black ice driving. And a 7" navigation system in it. I hope the 2007 has the same tire size. I can get an instant 200 for the vechle or I can part it out. Tuff call.
Bolt pattern changed from 2nd Generation to the 3rd Gen, so the rims won't swap over. Don't know about the tire size, maybe check on an online tire site?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts