Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took possession of a MB2002 EXL two weeks ago in suburban Philadephia. I have been using the Odyclub sight for several months during my decisions making process and while waiting for my vehicle to arrive. I am very impressed with the ODY except for one major concern that has been posted before on the clubsite. The concern is a very audible wind howl that generates from the back cabin anytime I accelerate above 40-45 mph. I will be taking it into the dealer for review in the near future. I would appreciate any feedback regarding these points:
1. Are there 20002 Odys out there that do not have this problem?
2. Are there 2002 Odys out there that have experienced this problem and if so what has been your course of action?

I have a concern after viewing several other forum inquiries that this might be a minor systemic problem with the vehicle. After handing the dealer 31 grand, the last thing I want is a faulty vehicle.Any insights into this matter would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
torp

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have an 2002 EXL with no crossbars, and I am not experiencing any of the noise problems others are having on this board.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also have a 2002 Starlight Silver EX-L with no crossbars (took delivery 10/11/2001), and I am not experiencing any of the wind noise problems.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
68 Posts
Our 2002 does not have a wind howl problem, but I did notice that the black "trim" that run across the top of the van the full length was not stuck does very well in a couple of places.

Could it be that this trim isn't positioned or attached correctly on the vans with the howl problem and it's causing a wind "tunnel" that makes a noise?

(Sorry I don't know the official name of that trim piece!)

Greg

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a 2002 MB with no cross bars. I drove it home from the dealership, about 60 miles, and there was no problem with wind howl.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't have cross bars, but I do have the sama annoying wind howl at speeds above 60 mph. I'm taking it to the dealer this monday and we'll see what he says

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem solved. Thanks to the first post to my inquiry about the wind howl noise - it appears that my dealer's service department incorrectly installed the crossbars. It might be important to note that each crossbar is designed like an airplane wing with one side slightly larger than the other. The opposing side has a trailing edge. Mine were installed with the trailing edge cutting into the wind - resulting in my wind howl. I simply removed them, turned them around, and the wind howl disappeared. What a relief! I also was suprised to find out that the crossbars cannot be easily moved like most crossbars on other vans. Ther is no easy large plastic nut to turn or release button. They are fastened to the rails by a torx screw and it requires a T30 torx bit or #30 star driver to remove the screw. I did not get this from my dealer and had to purchase on for a few dollars. For 2002 ODY owners who have the crossbars, it would be wise to carry one of these in your ODY in case you need to change the position of your crossbars for any reason. This is the only way you are going to be able to reposition the bars. Once again, an Odyclub member saved the day for me. Thanks.

------------------
torp

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had my crossbars installed by the dealers. I believe they did an excellent job. The "wind howl" was very noticeable at 90mph.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts