Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone rewired their fog lights to turn on with the parking lights instead of the low beams? I'd like a little more control over when they're on, but the fog light wiring diagram is so convoluted that things I've tried haven't worked, and I don't have the Helm wiring diagram. Any ideas? Thanx.

------------------
Chuck
CLICK HERE FOR ODY PICS & PROJECTS

·
1,484 Posts
Chuck I have both the Helm Service and Electrical Troubleshooting manual. Is there anything in particular you're looking for? The electric manual has the diagrams for fog lights, turn signals, headlights, overall electric distributtion,etc. Pretty much everything. Just let me know.
-nemogira

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking for the easiest and/or most convenient way to wire the fogs to the parking lights instead of the low beams.

IIRC, the diagrams I have don't really show the point-to-point of the combination switch and the relay wiring. At any rate, I thought I had it a couple of times, but it didn't work and I thought someone may have already figured it out.

If you can come up with a place I could put a jumper or whatever, I'd appreciate it.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd like to get 12v to the fog lights when the combination switch is in the first position, not just the second. This would give more flexibility as to when the lights could be on while at the same time it ensures that they go off when the combi switch is turned off.

As they are currently wired, the fog lights only get power when the combi switch is in the second position AND the low beams are on; they go off when you flip the brights on. They provide so much light up near the front of the vehicle that I'd like the option of keeping them on when the brights are on. Wiring them to the first position will give me that option.

Hopefully your electrical diagrams will show a way to provide power to the fog light relay in the first switch position, not just the low beam, second position. My diagrams are either not that specific or I'm not reading them right.

------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 05-25-2001).]

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi there,

Chuck, in implementing this mod, you may want to install a switch that allows you to switch from the orig config to the new one. I've done this for my other cars for .... safety inspection purposes.

If it is hardwired only to the mod that isn't in compliance with state regulations, the inspection will slap a fail sticker on the car or yank the lighting system for a pass sticker. Not sure if this is the case where you live but it is here in VA.

As mentioned earlier, I've installed a switch in my other cars. For daily use, I operate the lights independent of the light system. For inspection purposes, I flip the switch to the "compliant" mode.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, but that's not a problem here - no inspections, and I don't think it's a violation in MI anyway. I've had all of the lights I've ever installed on my other cars wired this way, but this is the first factory harness I've had to work around. It's giving me a little trouble trying to figure out how to alter it.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't been able to determine pin #s by my diagrams. (Haven't we had a pin number discussion before?
)

I just looked at the wiring diagram that came with the kit. It's not very good, but it looks like Relay B is N/C and passes the 12v until the hi beams are turned on, which actuates Relay B, opening the contact, thus dropping power to the fogs. If you can verify this on your diagrams and confirm that if I just eliminate Relay B with a jumper, or cut power to the coil of Relay B, power will be available to the fogs regardless of hi or lo beam, I'd appreciate it.

------------------
Chuck

·
1,484 Posts
Yes that is correct. But I think the focus should be put on the combi. switch rather than the relay because it directly handles the power when the connection is made.

On combi switch harness (grey) - pin hole #2 has a red/black wire in it that connects to the fuse box. Now pin hole #5 has yellow wire that sends that power when the connection is made. In other words the headlight switch is in the second position (aka low beams)

Healight switch positions:
0 = Off
1 = Parking Lts.
2 = Low Beam Lts.

Now the trick is to get that yellow wire directly to the first headlight position. Do you follow?

-nemogira

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where is the yellow wire sending the power and at what switch position? Both? Or just position 2?

From what I think I see, Relay B isn't used so much to "handle" power as to serve as a switch to shut it off during hi beam use. Relay A handles the power. Preventing power at the coil of B or jumpering around it looks like it will serve the purpose I want, although it still won't allow use of foglights alone, but that's not a big deal.

------------------
Chuck

·
1,484 Posts
The yellow wire is going to a 4 pinholed harness near the parking brake area. On the diagram it's called "Fog Light Relay 1". It looks like it then connects to the fog light switch on the panel.

-nemogira

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello again. After all these months, I finally figured out how to do it. It was only about a five minute job and didn't even require any disassembly.

All you have to do is pull the connector to relay "B" and locate the spliced wire. This is the one that provides power to the relay coil and it's the only spliced wire there. Now remove it from the connector and just tape it back.

It's not what I originally wanted to do because it doesn't allow the fogs to be on with just the parking lights, but that's no problem. That would be easy to do now, anyway.

Thanx much for the help.

PS: Pics are posted.

------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 05-26-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
Good to here Chuck. I think? So are you still gonna try to hook them up to the parking lights?

-nemogira
</font>
Yeah, eventually, but no hurry now.

I was just rereading the replies above and realized that my "Relay B" from the fog light installation prints is the "Fog Light Relay 1" that you found in your Helm prints. That didn't register with me until just now. I didn't realize we were talking about the same relay. It would be nice if they would use the same nomenclature in the various publications.

Thanx very much for your help.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Chuck:

All the pictures that I see of fog lights are the kind that cover the whole area. Mine are round with a black cover for the remainder of the opening. Is this new or did I get jipped by the dealer? It costs me over $400 to get them (installed) and I was assured that they were "Honda".

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
Yeah, eventually, but no hurry now.

I was just rereading the replies above and realized that my "Relay B" from the fog light installation prints is the "Fog Light Relay 1" that you found in your Helm prints. That didn't register with me until just now. I didn't realize we were talking about the same relay. It would be nice if they would use the same nomenclature in the various publications.

Thanx very much for your help.

</font>

------------------
Ed
2001 SS EX NAVI
Fog Lights
Crossbars
Mud Guards

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As far as I'm concerned, if you have a 2001 Ody, you got gypped. The round lights you describe are for pre-2001. The lights were redesigned for the '01 model year.

One excuse your dealer may use is that the new style wasn't available until around November, 2000. If your van was delivered before that, I think he should have given you an option as to whether to wait for the new style or go with the old style.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
6 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
As far as I'm concerned, if you have a 2001 Ody, you got gypped. The round lights you describe are for pre-2001. The lights were redesigned for the '01 model year.

One excuse your dealer may use is that the new style wasn't available until around November, 2000. If your van was delivered before that, I think he should have given you an option as to whether to wait for the new style or go with the old style.

</font>
Well, let's see. I was probabbly one of the first 2001 Ody to order it with fog lights as I received my Ody in September 2000. One recourse that I've got is to take it back to dealer and request 2001 model fog lights. After all, that's what I paid for....

------------------
Ed
2001 SS EX NAVI
Fog Lights
Crossbars
Mud Guards

1 - 20 of 30 Posts