Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just recently purchased a set of OEM HID headlights for the 99-04 Odyssey, RL1.
I can only guess that they came off a LaGreat, but not too sure. I can not find any info on these, specifically, did they come with DRL ability, Do they work off of self centering sensors, etc.. All I have is what is pictured.
If anyone here has any info, it would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
D2R HID systems from that time frame used by Honda and Nissan don't have any sort of auto level technology. It is simply a conventional style headlight fitted with a reflector to support using an HID D2R spec bulb.

I don't think that tiny bulb is a DRL; I think these are called "city lights." When you are in a very brightly lit locale (great street lighting), some European municipalities require drivers to turn off their main headlights at night, and turn on a small light that in the headlights that show the vehicle is in operation.

These are a true find, as they put out a really good headlight beam. These OEM parts beat the pants off of all of those sh1tty drop-in LED bulb replacements that blind everybody. Where did you find these?

OF

Reactions: 00Odysseus

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I found them on ebay.

The tiny bulb is indeed a city light. I wondered about DRL because there is an extra plug on the back of the head light housing, I wondered if it could be for DRL or highbeams. I'm not too savvy on how HID's work, if they need a separate bulb for high beams or not.
In the two pictures I attached this time, I will call the picture of the back side, picture A. The picture of the front side will be picture B.

In picture B, I have circled the two plugs, the RED circle is for the city lights, the PURPLE is the extra plug that I'm not sure about.
In picture A, there are two small side by side square holes, just above the head light bulb, I circled it in PURPLE, because I'm not sure of the purpose of the two holes and think they have something to do with the extra plug on the back. The RED circle in picture A is of course the city light bulb.
I hope I'm clear in my explanation, I have a tendency to under explain sometimes.

Also, I understand that these being RHD headlights, I will have to make some adjustments to the beam pattern as to reduce glare to oncoming traffic. This is not my daily so I don't drive it at night often, and purchased these for the "cool" factor.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will say that, I have not yet been able to examine these headlights thoroughly, since I've been working a lot of overtime. I suspect, hopefully, when I do get the chance to take off the round cover on the back that covers the headlight bulb, I will be able to discern what each plug is connected to.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
The tiny bulb is indeed a city light. I wondered about DRL because there is an extra plug on the back of the head light housing, I wondered if it could be for DRL or highbeams. I'm not too savvy on how HID's work, if they need a separate bulb for high beams or not.
In general, they need a separate bulb for the high beam. I have no idea how this would work with this setup. Moving shield over the HID capsule? Halogen light that illuminates across the reflector? No idea.

Also, I understand that these being RHD headlights, I will have to make some adjustments to the beam pattern as to reduce glare to oncoming traffic.
It's got an uptick of light to the left, right into the eyes of oncoming traffic. No idea how you'll fix that.

OF

1 - 6 of 6 Posts