Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're preparing for a family trip and the amount of "stuff" we carry has increased. I've always wanted to get the roof rack and a cargo box, so I came here and did a search and found a recommendation and bought a rack system. I didn't look at cargo boxes first otherwise, I would have gotten sticker shock!

Then I look to see they come in several sizes (surprise, surprise) and I have no idea what size would be suitable for my family. I don't want to overpurchase or under purchase, but the purpose would be to reduce the amount of "stuff" in the passenger compartment. We're a family of 5 and my son likes to ride in the back and we like that it reduces the fighting with his older sister. Last trip, we put some luggage in the 3rd row and it reduced the comfort back there, so dad is willing to spend some money to increase the utility of our family Odyssey.

Any recommendations on roof mounted cargo boxes?
How should I go about determining what size to buy? Is there somewhere I can go and see boxes in person?

·
Registered
2006 EX 226K
31 Posts
I have seen them at larger REIs and sporting goods stores. You may also check the website of the particular brand you're looking at and see if they have a local dealer in your area.

It's going to be like any storage space. Looks big until you start using it and then you wish it was bigger.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think a lot of the sizing depends on the type of luggage you want to use it for. Hard luggage, suitcases and boxes don’t fit as well as bags and duffels.

For example: recently, my friend borrowed my Yakima Skybox 21. We mounted it on her 2019 Subaru Forester no problem. She had four people in her car, a 70 pound dog, a hamster in a cage, and four people’s luggage. The box was filled, as was the back of her car. So it just depends how much you need to take.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,456 Posts
Neverending choices with cargo boxes. Definitely get one used... They are crazy expensive new and people often buy them and don't use them much (left in the garage, taking up space).

If you really need space, go all out:

(that was stuff for 2 babies, one toddler, two kids and three adults for a long weekend - along with all the people)

I'd like a bigger roof box at this point, but it works pretty well for smaller stuff. It was purchased used during my younger skiing/snowboarding days, and used a ton:

-Charlie

·
Registered
224 Posts
I did a monthlong road trip with my boys and we used two roof boxes, a Yakima Rocketbox and Yakima Skybox 21 side by side. They both have benefits and shortcomings. The Skybox is larger volume, but wider, so you are limited in other items to put on the roof (bikes, kayaks, etc). It also has the advantage of being accessible from both sides. The Rocketbox is longer and narrower so you can carry other items. It is also only accessible on one side (I picked the passenger side). Being narrower it is a bit quieter and more aerodynamic, but in either case, your fuel economy will take a hit.

I eventually sold the Skybox for what I paid on CL and still use the rocket box for camping and skis and college trips. I also now have a LoadWarrior Basket , but that is seldom used.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts

-Charlie
[/QUOTE]
that's a rare machine.
They don't make them like that anymore.
(y)
the rust belt has killed everything that old, unless it was parked for the winters.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
If you really need space, go all out
My daughter went all out, but in a slightly different manner.

She traded in her CR-V and bought a Tacoma, added a heavy duty cap, roof rails and a roof box you can take a nap in.

That's her truck on the left, camping in Moab, UT after driving 160 miles (10+ hours) on Rimrocker Trail.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,456 Posts

-Charlie

that's a rare machine.
They don't make them like that anymore.
(y)
the rust belt has killed everything that old, unless it was parked for the winters.
Its rust free, just over 200k miles sitting in my garage right now waiting for some maintenance/repairs to be done (leaky power steering lines and worn suspension bushings). Motor swapped with a 3s-gte (2L turbo, ~280hp right now), manual transmission, coilovers, big brakes, etc. Oh, and cold AC and working cruise control. The paint needs some work now and it is starting to show its age here and there (32 years old!!) Good times.

That particular trip, I had the 4 snowboards visible, plus more more inside the box with two pairs of skis and three people inside. It was all the 'overflow' from the other car I was travelling with. Leave the 115hp auto to climb the mountain while the 300+HP Evo X cruises along barely loaded (those things have almost no cargo space). :D

Back on subject - if you can do a hitch carrier for your needs, it will be better for aerodynamics - and no risk of damage when you drive through low-clearance situations (parking garages, garages, etc.). Another thing to think about...

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Its rust free, just over 200k miles sitting in my garage right now waiting for some maintenance/repairs to be done (leaky power steering lines and worn suspension bushings). Motor swapped with a 3s-gte (2L turbo, ~280hp right now), manual transmission, coilovers, big brakes, etc. Oh, and cold AC and working cruise control. The paint needs some work now and it is starting to show its age here and there (32 years old!!) Good times.
I hope that parts are available/makeable, at a reasonable cost.

I lost my beloved '66 lay-down Rambler in '82 due to parts un-availability. The service station busted out some rusted parts of the front end to get to some stuff behind them. They did that before finding out if they could get usable parts to replace what they busted out. Nope. I'm not pointing fingers, but the day after they told me that they were unable to find the parts, the (undrivable) car was "stolen" from the service station. 2 days later it was found with the front end damaged enough that the ins co totaled the car. It looked very much like a tow truck had backed into it, hard.

This guy...😢

Back on subject - if you can do a hitch carrier for your needs, it will be better for aerodynamics - and no risk of damage when you drive through low-clearance situations (parking garages, garages, etc.). Another thing to think about...
Yes, you eliminate the low-clearance risk on the high side, but you add it to the low side. The bottom of the receiver on my hidden hitch hits the ground in certain situations. A cargo carrier sticking 3' off the rear end would drag in many more situations. Granted, dragging a cargo carrier on the ground isn't nearly as bad as jamming a roof box into the ceiling of a parking garage, but it's certainly something that Jaybird180 should be aware of.

(My BIL had a ladder carrier on the top of his pickup truck. We had to let a lot of air out of his tires so he could back out of a parking garage after dragging the carrier along the roof)

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,456 Posts
(My BIL had a ladder carrier on the top of his pickup truck. We had to let a lot of air out of his tires so he could back out of a parking garage after dragging the carrier along the roof)
I've had multiple friends ruin bikes, racks, roofs and garage doors - so I'm very sensitive to the issue.

Hatch clearance with a tailgate carrier is a challenge. You either have ground clearance or the ability to open the hatch, basically... I need to get the rear airbags installed to help with that issue on our van.

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Hatch clearance with a tailgate carrier is a challenge. You either have ground clearance or the ability to open the hatch, basically... I need to get the rear airbags installed to help with that issue on our van.

-Charlie
I used a carrier on my Gen 3 a number of times. I've always been a huge fan of the 18 gallon totes for storage, moving, etc. ($3 at Walmart) With a carrier bag, I could get 3 totes in the carrier with some stuff on top.

(My daughter took it to CO when she moved out west.)

With a little help, the entire bag could be tilted forward just enough to get the Gen 3 hatch open. Unhook the tie-downs, grab the top rear of the bag and yank. I don't have the boys around to help any more, but I don't have the carrier either so it's all good. :)

If anyone will be moving their kids into college, load up the Ody with totes, strap them 4 at a time to a moving dolly with a ratchet strap and blow by all the other families with garbage bags slung over their shoulders or carrying busted up cardboard boxes. We always got a lot of "Wish I had thought of that" kind of comments.

I still use totes for vacations, carrying tools, etc. Our Ody's will hold a lot of them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got a great deal at my local dealership for this beauty. Photos don't show the CF looking appearance. A few small marks on the back, so I took the plunge.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Now that it's installed, how do I measure total height?
1 - Park on a level surface.
2 - Get a long board, a level and a step-ladder.
3 - Place one end of the board on the highest point of the roof box. The other end of the board should be in the open air beyond the side of the vehicle.
4 - Place the level on the board and raise the end of the board until it is level.
5 - Measure from the ground to the bottom of the board.

Keeping that measurement in mind, don't forget that bumps in the road, a raised garage slab, etc. may raise the overall height to higher than your final measurement.

Edit:

Here ya go.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
with a tape measure?
joking...
😂
z-plane measurement, I think is from the ground to the top of the roof, or the top of the rooftop box.
Ok, Ok, I edited my post to add the missing tool. :)

I typed that all up and then said "That was a waste of time...I'm sure there's a video." Yep, took about 2 seconds to find one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts