Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I think I'll just look in the manuals for the vehicle. rails and box specifications and add them together.😂
So why did you ask? :unsure: :)

I only trust me. I've been bit by too many unaccounted-for gotchas to rely on 3 different sets of documentation. “Doveryai no proveryai”

Another quick option would be to slowly pull under something that you are sure that is slightly higher than the overall height and note the difference. A branch, a sign, one of those swinging height warning bars, etc. Then measure the height of whatever you pulled under and subtract the difference.

Or...wait for the crunch and then measure the height of whatever you hit. You'll know that the overall height is greater than that. :oops::)

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,456 Posts
Or...wait for the crunch and then measure the height of whatever you hit. You'll know that the overall height is greater than that. :oops::)
There's a reason why I don't leave the roof box on all the time... :D

Well, mainly it is that my wife parks in a low clearance parking garage most days for work.

-Charlie

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So why did you ask? :unsure: :)

I only trust me. I've been bit by too many unaccounted-for gotchas to rely on 3 different sets of documentation. “Doveryai no proveryai”

Another quick option would be to slowly pull under something that you are sure that is slightly higher than the overall height and note the difference. A branch, a sign, one of those swinging height warning bars, etc. Then measure the height of whatever you pulled under and subtract the difference.

I asked because I thought that it could be a simple solution. But with your idea I've highlighted in bold, I think it could work pretty well. Thank you much.

Especially since I cleared my garage yesterday, I might even be able to use my garage door as a comparison measurement.

I'm a little bragadocious of having my garage back. Its been since June 2017 and I haven't been able to park a car there. I inadvertently turned it into a motorcycle shop, mostly Honda there too :)

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,456 Posts
I'm a little bragadocious of having my garage back. Its been since June 2017 and I haven't been able to park a car there. I inadvertently turned it into a motorcycle shop, mostly Honda there too :)
Similar for me! Though, it was home improvement tools/items (borrowed table saw, stuff like that). Now I have a car in there getting slowly repaired, so still not daily-driver friendly...)

-Charlie

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Eventually I'll find a way to get the 2 car garage I paid for, but I'll live with a single bay for now. The bikes live in the other bay and there are still a few maintenance tasks that need completion. Now that I have HEAT in my garage it's actually possible this winter HA HA HA HA.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just returned from our trip and we are happy with the purchase. My wife even volunteered her satisfaction with the utility the box added in allowing our child more room in the 3rd row.

I noticed that the key said THULE on it. I'm wondering which model did Honda rebrand and if I can use the fast grip latch system from their other boxes. It would make installation and removal much simpler.
Example here:

Now I have to rig a hanging rope to run it horizontal from the ceiling of my shed.

·
Registered
254 Posts
We have a vintage Thule Cascade XT 1700 (extremely) long box that originally came with u-shaped hold downs that were inserted into clamps inside the box here is a link to the original ones easy snap clamp . A few years ago I found and purchased a derelict Thule Ascent 1700 box that had the Quick grip clamp , and ordered the snapfit cradles and one Quick grip clamp from Thule and installed the Quick grip clamps on our box, put the snap clamps on the derelict box and after doing some minor repairs, sold the refurbished derelict box locally.

The fast grip clamps that your link shows look different than the Quick grip ones, and are probably for the Thule pulse product and appear to "ride" on a raised area in the box (in the link you provided the Quick grip clamps are visible below the fast grip ones).

Not sure what your box looks like on the inside, but if the parts look similar to the first link, the Quick grip clamps should work. Recommend purchasing the snapfit cradles as well as a pair of the slide strips (the ones that came with the Cascade box had 2 round holes, the ones that work with the quick grip clamps have rectangular holes. It is indeed easier using the claws rather that the u shaped bolts.

I also recommend ordering directly from Thule.

The boxes do take up a lot of room when not in use--ours have golf clubs and removable thule cross bars and feet. As the kids have gotten older and moved out, the box does not see much roof time--it sure was handy on vacations, snow trips (nice to have a place to put wet snowboards, boots and skis), hockey tournaments (great place for fragrant equipment), and camping trips. The box has outlived our '99 and '06 Odysseys and occasionally goes for a ride on our '15.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Your 2 links go to the same page. I'm interested in seeing the clamps mentioned.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Your 2 links go to the same page. I'm interested in seeing the clamps mentioned.
My bad, the links have been edited and now should go to the correct page (s).

Would it be possible for you to take photos of the instructions that came with your box and/or photos of the clamp/hold down devices as well as the inside of the cargo box where they insert? That would give me a better idea of which Thule clamp would work. Thanks!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sorry, life got busy, forgot to check back with you.

It looks like the Quick Grip Clamps would be the correct ones to use. You will need to purchase 4 quick grip assemblies and a set of 4 cradles (B and C respectively on the diagram in the link). The total is pretty pricey though--$144 plus shipping and tax. The claws of the clamps fit through the slots of the black plastic slider, the bottom of the clamps have ridges that fit into the ridges on the inside of the box, one cradle is installed on the outside bottom of the box to secure the clamp. You can move the nylon straps from the existing clamps to the newly installed ones.

It looks like someone is selling 3 quick grips on ebay for $30 plus shipping. The listing says fast grip, but they look like quick grips. If you are still interested you could snag these then order one quick grip and a set of cradles from thule and get things swapped for around half of retail.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2013 Odyssey Touring, 2018 Volvo V60
95 Posts
Its rust free, just over 200k miles sitting in my garage right now waiting for some maintenance/repairs to be done (leaky power steering lines and worn suspension bushings). Motor swapped with a 3s-gte (2L turbo, ~280hp right now), manual transmission, coilovers, big brakes, etc. Oh, and cold AC and working cruise control. The paint needs some work now and it is starting to show its age here and there (32 years old!!) Good times.

That particular trip, I had the 4 snowboards visible, plus more more inside the box with two pairs of skis and three people inside. It was all the 'overflow' from the other car I was travelling with. Leave the 115hp auto to climb the mountain while the 300+HP Evo X cruises along barely loaded (those things have almost no cargo space). :D

Back on subject - if you can do a hitch carrier for your needs, it will be better for aerodynamics - and no risk of damage when you drive through low-clearance situations (parking garages, garages, etc.). Another thing to think about...

-Charlie
How did I never notice in your signature that you have a camry alltrack with a 3S-GTE swap!? Had an MR2 Turbo, so very familiar with that engine. Looks like a super fun sleeper of a ride!

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,456 Posts
How did I never notice in your signature that you have a camry alltrack with a 3S-GTE swap!? Had an MR2 Turbo, so very familiar with that engine. Looks like a super fun sleeper of a ride!
It has spent some time with that roof box on it too:

3rd gen 3s-gte under the hood (full ST205 drivetrain):

-Charlie

21 - 34 of 34 Posts