Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parting ways with my beloved 2004 Nissan Xterra, with it's fantastic full-roof-length roof rack. I could put a whole canoe up there with good stable support. Now I have a 2010 Odyssey with the factory crossbars. No way to put a canoe up there without buying some fancy bracket, I'd imagine. I also dislike how the rack is centered over the rear of the vehicle. Just to balance something like a kayak, half of it would be hanging off the rear, nevermind I can't even open the tailgate. Has anyone seen a decent looking tower/crossbar that I could install above the sunroof so I can have a more stable platform for big-big objects by shifting them forward?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thule has a rack attachment that "slides" the kayak front-back. I think it is supposed to help balance it, and extend it over the hatch. I know, it is kind of the opposite of what you want to do, but perhaps you can reverse the installment of the attachment? I think it's called Thule Slipstream. But I'm not sure they would work on the OEM crossbars, and you might need to purchase a set of Thule racks & footings, which then doubles the cost.

I got the OEM crossbars because it was similar to my previous cars' bars, in that they were low-profile & flat w/ rounded edges. I assumed b/c I had a good experience with the old set - low profile, no wind noise, more low-roof clearance, etc. - it would be the same with Honda's version. I find the Odyssey crossbars to be really noisy, so I had to get a fairing for it. Still works with my double-bike rack, so all's good. Never tried a kayak, though.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Honda crossbars are non adjustable. They stay in one place only and it's the stupidest design ever made. And, one of the cross bars is longer than the other. I bought a set for mine and the only thing it's good for is looks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I added a third Yakima tower and crossbar to my 2008 Ody EX-L, in addition to the two Yakima towers/crossbars attached to the factory siderails in the back. I took a Yakima Q tower and some clips I had laying around (don't recall which #, but it doesn't matter really). I modified the clips to fit the contour of the front door top lip (for lack of a better thing to call it, like the body frame the door fits into). To protect the van's paint I added some electrical tape to the clip. I have used this setup to haul two 16-foot canoes for hundreds of miles at highway speeds with no problems. Really, the front crossbar is there just to provide support for the front of the boats. I tie the boats down to all three crossbars, plus have bow/stern lines. There is no way they are going to move.

Note that I would only recommend the front bar for uses where it is essentially a passive part of the rack setup, as in the case mentioned above. Although it feels like a very firm attachment, and most likely would be fine, I don't think I'd want to put a bike mount or something on it. I really wish Yakima would design a clip to fit the front doors of the Odyssey. Obviously, it possible, as I did it in a few minutes with an existing clip, a set of Vise Grips, and a set of pliers.

I also added web tie-down points inside the hood on both sides, which I flip out when I'm hauling a boat. In the rear I have a webbing loop with an old carabiner on it that I simply clip onto the tie-down point underneath the rear of the van.

·
Registered
82 Posts
And close-ups of the front tie-down points and the modified Q-clip. The tie-down points are simply 1" climbing webbing that I installed metal grommets on, then attached to bolts on the fenders inside the hood. When not in use, I flip them inside the hood and they are invisible from outside. Note that you can buy similar webbing tie-down loops on the Internet (I think there's a canoe place in NY state that sells them), but I had the parts at home and so made them myself.

clip_closeup.jpg front_ties.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts