Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, we have a 2011 Ody with a dealer installed roof rails and cross bars. I noticed today that the front cross bars have a loose rattle when i bang on the rails with my fist. The rear cross bars and solid without any rattle. It seems to be where the actual aluminum cross bar slides into the plastic mount on the left side, but it seems like the screws are tight. Anyone else notice this on their cross bars?

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also have that rattle especially during strong wind gusts so I removed the crossbars.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi all, we have a 2011 Ody with a dealer installed roof rails and cross bars. I noticed today that the front cross bars have a loose rattle when i bang on the rails with my fist. The rear cross bars and solid without any rattle. It seems to be where the actual aluminum cross bar slides into the plastic mount on the left side, but it seems like the screws are tight. Anyone else notice this on their cross bars?

Thanks!

That sounds odd. I installed the rails and cross bars myself and so far have not noticed any problem. Each cross bar has two adapters at both ends so you can attach the bar to the rails. You may want to try taking off the cross bar and wrap something around it but leave room for the screws to touch the bars when you tighten them) then insert it back its adapters. Make sure you tighten all screws as tight as they are supposed to...

·
Registered
29 Posts
We had the same issue. It took our dealer a couple of times, but they eventually tightened it enough/correctly so we haven't had any noise for a couple of months now. It shouldn't rattle - have the dealer tighten it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I successfully installed the roof rails and cross bars in several hours. Measure twice and cut once! Used a jigsaw with the correct blade for cutting plastic on the rear plastic pieces and a metal blade for the cuts in the roof trim pieces that are measured to cut sections out of for the roof rails to mount.

The cross bars are in a single fixed position once installed, they do not move after being installed. When installing the cross bars it is nice to now the the longer of the two goes at the front of the vehicle. Also note that the right side of each cross bar will slide on the bar a little to allow for slight width variances in installations. With one of my cross bars the bar rattled in the right connection post after tightening up the bar to the roof rail. I removed the cross bar and the right connection post (held in place by t-25 or 27 torx bolts). I then wrapped the cross bar several times with narrow black electrical tape between where the two torx bolts go until the post slid back on snugly. I then reattached the connection post and put the tor bolts back in and remounted the cross bar to the roof rail. No more rattle.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have the same problem. I was about to try what Slowfox98 did, but in a thread a couple of posts down someone posted the Honda TSB on this issue. They have instructions to the dealer to sell you anti-rattle tape that goes in on the right side of the bar. I am not sure yet if I will pay Honda $10 bucks for their anti-rattle tape or try something like what Slowfox did.

Here is the link to the TSB that Markpaco posted for me:

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A15-032.PDF

·
Registered
346 Posts
I got some 3M mounting tape for $5 from home depot and followed the TSB an the problem is fixed, and I still have 95% of the roll of tape left for another project.

Bars are as quiet at a mouse. Wife is happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts