Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we are thinking of getting the cross bars for our EX, but am scare of that hissing sound from them at highway speed. Can you guys tell me if it's really that loud or just some people can here it and others can't really tell if it's there or not.

Also how much did you guy get them for? The cheapest I can find is at HandA for about $77. Anyone know of a cheaper plase to buy from?

Anyway thanks for any information provided.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have noticed no excessive noise and leave my crossbars on all the time. I, however, have the LX kit. Look in the problems section as some have reported some potential safety issues with the crossbars and carrying roof cargo boxes. I have only used mine to carry surfboards.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DDakRT:
Installed backwards? I didn't know there's a front and back to the bars. BTW there's a problem section on this site?

Thanks for the info guys.
</font>
Hi DDakRT,

The cross bars on the roof rack are airfoil shaped, like an airplanes wing. The forward facing surface is rounded and the the back of the bar is tapered to a finer edge. If you put the sharp end forward, it's like trying to fly an airplane backwards and you get some aerodynamic wind noise because they don't like flying backwards. All it takes is paying just a little attention when you're installing the cross bars and you shouldn't have any problems.

Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
".....airplane backwards and you get some aerodynamic wind noise because they don't like flying backwards. All it takes is paying just a little attention when you're installing the cross bars and you shouldn't have any problems."

From what I understand, it wasn't necessarily inattention that got so many installed backwards. It was either written wrong in the instructions, or there was a sticker on the bars indicating "front" which was wrong, or both.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

·
Registered
200 Posts
DDarKT,

Just another piece of information.... If you are thinking about using the crossbars for a roof-top carrier, you should also check out the thread about issues brought up about using the Honda crossbars with the roof-top carriers. I am not sure which forum the discussion occurred, but albaby was the original poster.

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jvennitti:
DDarKT,

Just another piece of information.... If you are thinking about using the crossbars for a roof-top carrier, you should also check out the thread about issues brought up about using the Honda crossbars with the roof-top carriers. I am not sure which forum the discussion occurred, but albaby was the original poster.

Jeff

</font>
I've read some of the info posted about this issue. My question is: Is there a problem with strapping the carrier to the side bars? I've never used the roof top carrier before but it is something I might need to do at some point. Do the carriers you folks have used rely on the cross bars primarily or can they be configured to tie down to the main side bars?

Wondering......

Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
215 Posts
Steve-as I mentioned in previous posts, there doesn't seem to be a problem with the side rails. Other manufacturers mount their equipment to the Honda side rails.

Regards
Al

·
Registered
200 Posts
Intrepid175,

I don't know about all of the roof top carriers, but mine (Yakima Space Cadet) is far too narrow to clamp to the side rails alone. As albaby mentioned, the side rails don't seem to be the issue. The issue appears to be in the crossbar mounting mechanism. It is not viewed to be able to take the uplift forces.

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
478 Posts
On my Explorer I used the Yakima crossbars with mounts to the stock side rails. Much stronger than factory cross rails and the brackets to hold the Yakima crossbars bolted through the side rails directly to the body using the same holes the side rails used. VERY strong and clean too! I would think you could do the same thing with the Ody-I'll be finding out for sure when I finally get mine as I plan on some type of roof carrier system.

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I've noticed a windy "Howling" when the wind is about 15 miles per hour in a certain direction. It happens off an on when on the Freeway.

I have a New (3 weeks) Ody Ex with added crossbars. Sounds like the noise comes from roof... but no vents up there.

Will take off the bars and see it I can repeat it.

Other than paying $1598 over MRSP (I'm in Silicon Valley, Sunnyvale, California) and the HARD SELL of a 7/100,000 warranty ($1500...but cancelled a few days later), I'm loving the MiniVan.

AWH

·
Registered
579 Posts
DDaKRT; I purchesed the EX crossbar from Honda genuin part. I installed myself. I never notice any different wind noise between crossbar on top or without it. You'll have to read the instruction very careful before starting the installion process. Make sure you have the larger round edge of the crossbar facing torward the front of the car. The crossbar come with 2 different length also. The longer one is for the front bar and the shorter one is for the rear bar. They match the crossbar lenght with the dimmension and the contour of the roof. You'll find out after you read the included instruction. The only tool you need are allen wrench and flat head screw driver. It should take more than 20 minutes to complete the whole process of installation. Good Luck.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all that reply with insight. I am going to get the Honda one as it's highly unlikely for us to put any sort of carrier on the roof.

It is dissapointing that Honda's bars isn't safe to use with a carrier though, and they are not going to do anything about it.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
If you intend on using a car top at some point in the future.. consider getting a Thule or a Yakama rack that grabs onto to side rails. The rack will run 120 to 140 but will be much stronger and can also be used on other vehicles. The cheapest I've seen on the factory cross rails were 78.

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DDakRT:
Thanks for all that reply with insight. I am going to get the Honda one as it's highly unlikely for us to put any sort of carrier on the roof.
</font>
DDakRT:

Why do you even want to install Honda crossbar if it's highly unlikely to put any sort of carrier on the roof?

We have a minivan since 93, we never put anything on the roof.

bjk

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers,
Lojack

·
Registered
579 Posts
Oh yes, we use the roof rack a lot. When we have passengers inside the van, we normally carry ladders, luggages, etc on top of the roof. It is very convenience to have it handy. It is very safe to carry stuff on the roof as long as you have it tie down to the side rails and crossbars very good. Plus, it make the van look tougher with roof racks, trailer hitch, etc. I don't think a Honda civic want to hit me from behind after I have my trail hitch on the back.....they are more likely hit the hitch and hurt themself..! This are just some example the advantage of the accessorie....but people have different taste..!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Arrrr, I think I need to install a trailer hitch on our Ody too as I just discovered some idiot rear ended us in the parking lot (while I was parked). There are these imprints of two bolts, front licence plate bolts to be exect. Gees, I can't wait until they rear end that trailer hitch!!!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Does aftermarket crossbar Yakima or Thule generate louder noise than Honda?

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers,
Lojack

1 - 20 of 27 Posts