Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me again... 2001 EX. Purchased a Yakima roof top carrier for our long trips. Found out the Ody doesn't have cross-bars... hey, I never thought to look UP when I bought the vehicle! Anyway, I think it is criminal that you spend $30K on a vehicle only to spend an additional $109 to get the "roof rack" to actually function. I went with the OEM bars to keep the carrier "low profile."

I was installing the bars last night and I have a question (yes, there IS a reason for this post). Both bars have one side that can "slide" an inch or so... so that the bar will fit no matter where on the roof rack you position them (the rack narrows toward the back of the vehicle). My bars have two screws on this sliding portion and when I tried to tighten them, they would not tighten... at all! I could losen and remove them, but not tighten past a certain point. Are these just retainer screws? Should I be able to tighten the screws so that the end piece is snug? The end piece is still lose and it seems like this would cause a lot of rattle during highway driving.

Note: the cross-bars certainly need to be installed with the proper side forward. They look like an airplane wing and putting them on "backwards" would cause a lot of wind noise.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a Yakima roof top carrier as well and have been debating on going with the Honda cross bars or getting the Yakima setup. Please post how well the carrier works with the cross bars. I was a little concerned about the curvature of the Honda bars versus the straight Yakima bars.

Thanks,

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cross-bars are remarkably straight. The Yakima Space Cadet fits perfectly (and the bigger, slimmer versions will fit even better). There are very slight gaps on the ends as the bars curve down... between 1/4" and 1/2". This is without the carrier loaded. The plastic is very durable but also bends, so the carrier may contact the ends when fully loaded. Either way, the cross-bars work great and there is no concern about mounting. The weight-bearing portion of the carrier sits where it should on the Honda bars. They are also slightly lower than the Yakima set-up.

Note: Some have posted that the Honda bars cannot support enough weight -- Yakima and Thule actually tell you this on the phone! This is completely inaccurate. I have the papers from the dealer that clearly state the bars will hold up to 150 lbs. The Yakima cross-bars have a 110 lbs limit (or is it 105?). When you get them you'll see... they are heavy and well constructed metal.

·
Registered
215 Posts
CMT4-which direction should the wide part of the cross-bar be facing? I got a lot of wind noise when I first put mine on and removed them. Do you leave yours on?

Also-There is a service bulletin on these racks. It concerns noise-but is it about the cross-bars?

Last- I have found two sites, one that sells Honda parts cosiderably cheaper than most dealers,( I paid $78 for my crossbars) and another that allows you to download installation instructions for Honda accesories. However, tyhe site does not give the orientation of the bars.

Regards
Al

·
Registered
254 Posts
i have used my thule coffin several times on the honda roof rack and cross rails with no problems at all. heavy weight has not been a problem.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
albaby -- The bars should be installed with the "thick" edge forward and the thinner edge facing the back of the vehicle. They come with a small white sticker from the factory located on the "front" side.

I have just completed the first leg of a four leg trip with the Yakima roof carrier. I have the Space Cadet model attached directly to factory cross-bars. I remove the whole set-up when not traveling, so I can not comment on wind noise with just the cross-bars. The carrier was loaded to the max and performed flawlessly. There was absolutely no additional wind noise with this set-up and my mileage appears to be normal (I have relatively low mileage on the Ody and I'm still below 5K). I put on a little over 1,200 miles so far on this trip and would recommend this set-up to anyone. The all black profile also looks really nice on the Ody.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Honda roof rack crossbars may be unsafe if used with cargo boxes.
Have talked to Thule and Yakima and both said the Honda crossbars are not acceptable for cargo boxes. The reason given was not their weight capacity, but that they cannot stand much lift force. Both Yakima and Thule said they would not warrant their boxes or be liable for damages to your vehicle or others following it, should the crossbars separate from the siderails. Neither will Honda.
I called Honda Customer Service today,(new number 1-800-999-1009) and they verified what Yakima and Thule said. When I asked what Honda was doing about thwe problem, they said "nothing". I asked if their wasn't implied fitness for this type of use, as that is what so many of the racks are used for, they said NO!. The crossbars have a purpose, but cargo boxes was not one of them. When I asked what they accepted use for the crossbars was, they could not give me an answer. They said that we should install the attachments made by the box manufacturer.
I also mentioned that there was no warning of the crossbars limitations on the installation instructions or owners manuals but recieved the "they have a purpose" reply. I guess decoration and wallet lightening are the purposes. I told them I would be contacting the NHTSA and informing them of this potential hazard. The said "go ahead". (I will).
So much for Honda Customer Service and Japanese engineering.

Regards
AL

[This message has been edited by albaby (edited 07-19-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts