Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I've been on here for ages but this is my first post (I think). I recently got a 2009 Touring that didn't have the roof rack cross bars. I got a used set of OEM cross bars off a 2005 Ody from a friend. I went to install them last night and found the rear covers a PITA to take off, but I got them off. I go to install the bars and found that they move. No amount of tightening the bolt keeps it in place. They slide along the rails if I pull or tug on them with a small amount of force.

I think I have all the complete parts:
-2 cross bars
-4 machined brackets that go into the slots
-4 large screws that go in the top hole and screw into the brackets
-4 washers that go in the screws

Am I missing a step? I even mounted them in the spot that Honda marks with the small dot. Please help! I'm mounting my Thule Canyon XT on it this weekend for a trip and I'm stuck.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sounded like you got all the parts
Post pictures of your screws and brackets.

Perhaps, you installed the brackets up-side-down???

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
It looks like you have all the parts. I have the OEM crossbars installed on my '06 EXL and they are solid with zero movement. Did you set the length correct? Also, one side of these crossbars face towards the front of the vehicle. As for the rear covers, using the bolt for the crossbar to push in the release makes taking them off super easy.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I suggest you look over the installation instructions here.

Reactions: redox9k

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tips celicool, jackrabbit000 and Ted.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the brackets can go in only one way.

The front bar is slightly longer than the rear, so I have the right bar in position. I tried rotating the bars 180 degrees, so the wide edge is at front, then it was at the back. Also, I tried extending and then shortening, neither did anything different. All four brackets are centered at the mark (dot) on the railings.

I read over the instructions. Thanks for that BTW, I didn't know those existed on here. The only thing I can see that's different is I'm missing the lock washers (all) and I'm missing two flat washers Although I tried with the flat washers and it still had some play. I don't think the washers would make a difference, would it?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I just went and checked mine and they don't move at all. The little hook part on the holder faces down on the rail. Are you sure the crossbars are OEM? And are there rubber pads under each end piece? No washers or lockwashers won't make a difference if the bars slide or move. The bolts will just stick out the bottom of the bracket a bit more. Without lock washers, they may loosen over time though. Suggestion would be temporarily a piece of cardboard (or whatever you have) under each end piece and tighten it down to see what happens. If it doesn't move you will need the add another rubber piece.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I don't know, but the bars may be of a different dimension that what you have.

Until you figure out your problem, I'd learn how to make the Trucker's knot, which is great for securing 'stuff' to the roof of the van or any vehicle:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
That's weird how yours got loose. Once the star bolts are fastened all the way down, the crossbars stay put. Even the aftermarket crossbars sold on Ebay are designed to work with Honda OEM rails.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm 99% sure they're OEM. I'll take pictures of the pads once I'm able to later today. There are rubber pads, although the pads are pretty much flush with the surface so I don't think they provide much grip other than to prevent scratching.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Pictures of the pads. I'll try and add some sort of rubber gasket/pad there and see what happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Solved!!! Jackrabbit000 was bang on. I went to Princess Auto and picked up a flat rubber mat, about 1/8" thick. I cut them to about the same size as the existing pad (which was pretty flat and flush to the mount). I tried it again, this time with the rubber pieces. They don't move at all now!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts