Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Debating on getting these. I probably would only use the cargo box if anything. So my question is should I get these for the "just in case" factor and if so is it worth it to have the dealer install them. Is there drilling involved??

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had the dealer install them.
It seems a bit time consuming...the body molds were simple.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I plan on doing them myself if I can't get it as part of the deal.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Beautiful, was that tech trying to set a speed record?

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you dont think you'll really need them, dont put them on. Every external accessory you add will have some effect on fuel mileage by affecting the aerodynamics, and roof rails may cause a slight added wind noise issue.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thule fit-kit instead?

If you dont think you'll really need them, dont put them on. Every external accessory you add will have some effect on fuel mileage by affecting the aerodynamics, and roof rails may cause a slight added wind noise issue.
Excellent point, my friend. Honestly, I had Thule load bars and was hoping Thule would have a fit-kit for the 2011 Odyssey soon; and so did not order the roof rails with our EX-L. Unfortunately, our need for carrying additional things on the roof may come earlier than Thule can have their fit-kit ready. So, I’m now considering putting the roof rails on myself.

Sorry if this is now off-topic, should I have started a new thread with this?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Van looks much better with the roof rack so I say install it. Should have come with roofrack and body side moldings standard...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Agreed with bmwzimmer—Honda shouldn’t have gone cheap and made the roof rails as an option. How is the seal between the roof rail feet and the weatherstripping?

·
Registered
15 Posts
the seal is not bad...the issue was getting the weatherstripping back into the channels as tight as it was before. To install, you have to cut the stripping into 3 sections then the feet of the rack hold it down. My weatherstripping is a little loose but not as loose as the weatherstripping on the Ody with a rack I saw at the dealer:rollingeyes:..on another note...After I installed the rack I noticed a rattle in the van. It sounded like it was coming from the vicinity of the spare tire (I had pulled out the jack to take of the rear wheels to install mudflaps) turnss out it was loose bolts on the cross bars. Dealer tracked it down and fixed it. No charge!:nice:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks!

the seal is not bad...the issue was getting the weatherstripping back into the channels as tight as it was before. To install, you have to cut the stripping into 3 sections then the feet of the rack hold it down. My weatherstripping is a little loose but not as loose as the weatherstripping on the Ody with a rack I saw at the dealer:rollingeyes:..on another note...After I installed the rack I noticed a rattle in the van. It sounded like it was coming from the vicinity of the spare tire (I had pulled out the jack to take of the rear wheels to install mudflaps) turnss out it was loose bolts on the cross bars. Dealer tracked it down and fixed it. No charge!:nice:
Thanks for confirming the seal between the feet of the rails and the weather-stripping! It wasn’t clear from that dealer’s video just how much of the weather-stripping would be “clamped-down” by the feet (meaning, how much of it would be under the feet) once installed. Good to know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We are leasing so have to have the daler do the install. I am pretty sure they are trying to totally rip us off for this, especially since I can find them online for so cheap.
What has anyone paid the dealer for the rails and install so I can bring to our dealer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Van looks much better with the roof rack so I say install it. Should have come with roofrack and body side moldings standard...
I disagree, I think the van looks much better without the roof rack. I never used it on my previous 3 vans and don't now. The van's handling gets effected changed by the weight/items on top, as well as the highway gas mileage. It's much easier to clean the roof off when it snows compared to my 2005.

Here in NJ it's a $50 fine if you don't clean your roof of snow, which I agree with. I see so many lazy people with SUV/Van's. that don't clean it and flies onto other cars...

·
Registered
730 Posts
I disagree, I think the van looks much better without the roof rack. I never used it on my previous 3 vans and don't now. The van's handling gets effected changed by the weight/items on top, as well as the highway gas mileage. It's much easier to clean the roof off when it snows compared to my 2005.

Here in NJ it's a $50 fine if you don't clean your roof of snow, which I agree with. I see so many lazy people with SUV/Van's. that don't clean it and flies onto other cars...
I bought the crossrails for my '02 and NEVER put anything on the roof in 8 years of ownership. I was ready to buy a box but glad I didn't, would have never used it either. Of course, I only have a family of four which allows me to pack a lot of stuff in the back. If you need the third row then I could see the need for using a roof rack at times.

Maine also has a law about clearing snow off the roof but it's never enforced.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts