Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a little leak last week, coincidentally it started when I put a top box on for holiday traveling. So, based on what I've read here, odds are good that I have a leak in the roof seam under the roof rails.

So, after I get everything taken off -- do I need to try to remove the sealant that is there? I was just thinking I'd just try to clean it up really good with some alcohol and then apply new sealant over it.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I just went over it with silicone on mine after scrubbing it with a small brush.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
You should be able to seal over the existing sealant as long as it is very clean and dry.

If you could post a refresher on how to remove the roof rack, that would be very helpful to me and others. I know it's posted elsewhere on this forum.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I got a little leak last week, coincidentally it started when I put a top box on for holiday traveling. So, based on what I've read here, odds are good that I have a leak in the roof seam under the roof rails.

So, after I get everything taken off -- do I need to try to remove the sealant that is there? I was just thinking I'd just try to clean it up really good with some alcohol and then apply new sealant over it.
No don't do that just clean it real good and apply sealant on top of it. Highly recommend using 3M window weld.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
You should be able to seal over the existing sealant as long as it is very clean and dry.

If you could post a refresher on how to remove the roof rack, that would be very helpful to me and others. I know it's posted elsewhere on this forum.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The rack was easy to remove.

There are three plastic covers to take off first. The forward and aft ones are removed by pushing a small screwdriver into a hole on the inboard side, then sliding the cover. It takes some force and a little wiggling helps.

The middle supports have a small cover. A small flat screwdriver can pry them off.

With the covers off, you have easy access to the bolts. Forward, middle, and aft have two T30 nuts or bolts each.

After those fasteners are removed, the racks come off. Two more T30 nuts on each middle standoff are removed to remove the middle standoffs.

Then it's just the trim pieces. My trim pieces were extremely loose and crumbly, and possibly the cause of an annoying rattle. There is a plastic clip on the forward end of the forward most trim piece and also the aft end of the aft trim piece. Pry it straight up and hope for the best. The other trim pieces are just held in by the rack itself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts