Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attached a roof top tent to their 2018 or 2019 Odyssey? I am interested in hearing what kind of rack you’ve used.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2020 Odyssey Elite | Platinum White Pearl
200 Posts
Ah so a quick search led me to this thread... glad that there is one, but surprised that there isn't more info surrounding a roof top tent on the 18'+ Ody's... (Now I can see why due to the obvious...)

I'm really wanting to get a roof top tent for my '20 Ody, but the weight capacity seems to be way too low. It's sad how weak the structural integrity is on the Ody...

I've found a few roof top tents and am eyeing this one, with the bottom attachment as well.

My Ody is naked so it does not have the stock rails yet... I'll be starting from scratch, but with how weak the roof is on the Ody I'm still looking for some hope to make this work...The aftermarket options for the actual rails seem very limited; non existent? The factory OEM ones won't do...

Here's the new 2022 KIA Sedona that inspried me in wanting to have the tree fort without the tree on top of the van...Even the current Sedona with two sun roofs mind you can handle 220lbs and that's dynamic (moving) load, so it can handle much more with static load. I've called a few parts departments out of curiosity to confirm. I'm pretty sure the new Sedona will be able to handle much more weight. (Thanks @marmaladeboy for the dynamic and static info. (y))

It would be great to get some feedback on this from those that are well versed in rails, bars, weight limits and mounting....TIA

👆

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ah so a quick search led me to this thread... glad that there is one, but surprised that there isn't more info surrounding a roof top tent on the 18'+ Ody's... (Now I can see why due to the obvious...)

I'm really wanting to get a roof top tent for my '20 Ody, but the weight capacity seems to be way too low. It's sad how weak the structural integrity is on the Ody...

I've found a few roof top tents and am eyeing this one, with the bottom attachment as well.

My Ody is naked so it does not have the stock rails yet... I'll be starting from scratch, but with how weak the roof is on the Ody I'm still looking for some hope to make this work...The aftermarket options for the actual rails seem very limited; non existent? The factory OEM ones won't do...

Here's the new 2022 KIA Sedona that inspried me in wanting to have the tree fort without the tree on top of the van...Even the current Sedona with two sun roofs mind you can handle 220lbs and that's dynamic (moving) load, so it can handle much more with static load. I've called a few parts departments out of curiosity to confirm. I'm pretty sure the new Sedona will be able to handle much more weight. (Thanks @marmaladeboy for the dynamic and static info. (y))

It would be great to get some feedback on this from those that are well versed in rails, bars, weight limits and mounting....TIA

View attachment 157349

View attachment 157350

👆
I am surprised that the top tent doesn't come with some 4 corner stabilizers from the bottom of the tent to the ground to help hold the weight of it's contents. It would have been easy to mount square tubing all 4 sides, and have a short piece of square tubing fitting into the tent square tubing and protruding out from the van enough to stay clear of the van and than have square tubing going down 90° to the ground. of course this would have to be collapsible.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Honda has to change look.
Kia Sedona, Toyota Sienna, Chrysler Pasifica they all look batter than Honda Odyssey.

·
Registered
223 Posts
First, any idea where the Sedona (Carnival) photos were taken? Korea? Because I've only seen the dopey computer-generated photos prior.
Second, that you for clarifying "static" vs. "dynamic" weight. The Kia Telluride is also only rated for 160lb, yet C&D or MT did a review of a rooftop tent and it was easily 300-400lb (tent + people), which would overwhelm the bars. Clearly static has 3x-5x (or more) rating.

·
Registered
2020 Odyssey Elite | Platinum White Pearl
200 Posts
First, any idea where the Sedona (Carnival) photos were taken? Korea? Because I've only seen the dopey computer-generated photos prior.
Second, that you for clarifying "static" vs. "dynamic" weight. The Kia Telluride is also only rated for 160lb, yet C&D or MT did a review of a rooftop tent and it was easily 300-400lb (tent + people), which would overwhelm the bars. Clearly static has 3x-5x (or more) rating.
That photo was taken in S.Korea for the release of the Carnival in the domestic and world market outside of NA. As far as the static weight vs dynamic, I've also recently learned that conservatively the actual static weight is good for 2x of what the dynamic weight limits are, but realistically 3x 'and more' as you've seen like on the Telluride.

My concerns with the weight on the Ody's roof has now shifted to the actual rails and bars as I'm curious if they'll be able to handle the weight of the tent unit which is 100lbs - 175lbs alone and that's just for a soft top tent unit... plus the weight of occupants.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts